iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB Prices

Started by Logging logginglogging, November 30, 2012, 07:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

When I read about the Heatmore OWBs people always mention that they are a few thousand cheaper than a Central Boiler. Whats the avrage price of the Heatmore OWBs. If i were to every replace my E-2300 I would probally just stick with Central boiler since I have had really good luck with mine and my father has had really good luck with his. But the heatmores do look nice as well.

thecfarm

that is a very good question. When I was buying,I won't say looking to buy,I looked for 10 years,I forgot the prices of the others.I have no idea if my Heatmor was more of less.I just like the simple design of the Heatmor. Not much that could go wrong with the OWB itself. The guy that works on my car just put one in this year. I noticed a digital readout on the front and I think when you open the door there is a switch that turns the blowers off now. Probably more switches and solenoids too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

You should have seen the look on my friends face when he looked in a Heatmore for the first time, after buying one sight unseen, and saw grass growing up high where the floor should be. Turns out that is one of the things he likes best about it, and he likes everything else too.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

r.man,I suppose it's like mine,grates down the middle and fill the sides with sand? Mine sits on a cement pad with a piece of ¼ or 3/8 foam,than you look inside to see any gaps and put the clauking to that place. This seals it from drawing from the bottom. Than fill with sand.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: thecfarm on November 30, 2012, 08:40:09 AM
r.man,I suppose it's like mine,grates down the middle and fill the sides with sand? Mine sits on a cement pad with a piece of ¼ or 3/8 foam,than you look inside to see any gaps and put the clauking to that place. This seals it from drawing from the bottom. Than fill with sand.

Grass? Sand? what the heck? are we even talking about the same thing?
this is what i am talking about: http://www.heatmor.com/

I still hope someone can tell me average price range. I did not buy my e-2300 new so i dident shop around at all.

Local4Fitter

They lost me at "grass growing up high" :D
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

thecfarm

Logging,yep same thing. Sorry about the confusion. r.man and me are talking about the bottom of a Heatmor OWB. On the models we are talking about there is no steel "bottom".I have no idea what the design is now on the newer models. I'm only guessing at the widths here. When looking into the firebox when it have not been installed you will see about 12 inches of grates right down the middle,with a few metal supports going to each side of the OWB. On each side of the grates there is nothing but the ground,another 8 inches on each side. I think when the one that r.man is talking about was delivered to the dealer they must of set it onto some tall grass. No way it could grow inside there with the door closed. Can't get any light in there. Than sand is put in the empty places besides the grates.
Logging call a dealer up. Many different types now to choice from. I brought mine before the "gassers" were even thought of.  ;D

r.man

This is the only heatmor that I am familiar with but when he bought his there were maybe 8 in the yard and they all had tall grass in them. In my friends case he set his on cement pads and I doubt he sealed them. If it is able to draw any amount of combustion air up through a foot of sand then it is welcome to it. No worries about the floor rotting out, which has been a problem with many types of owbs, since the floor is made up of sand and air grates/ash removal tube. The water doesn't start until a few inches above the floor on top of a firebrick lip and the water arch is removable and replaceable. All in all I really like these stoves.

thecfarm

I sealed it because my dealer told me to. He looked inside and told me only a couple places needed to be sealed,but I went all the way around it.

r.man

Funny what you get thinking about when going on a forum. With all the back and forth about the Heatmor I decided to go to their site to see what had changed. It looks like all their stoves are sand bottomed and the new Epa rated ones use the same basic fire box with a better heat exchanger. I don't know why they refer to their warranty as lifetime because I would call it a pro-rated warranty. By the time the furnace is 10 years old the part is only warranted 15 percent which really amounts to a modest sale price. After 20 years it is 10 percent. I still really like the stove but I think they should be more obvious about their warranty.

thecfarm

Just like a car battery.  ::)

ga jones

I have some friends with heatmors they love them havent had any trouble 10 years now. Another thing I like about them is the rubber innertube bladder. It holds 1 pound of presure on the system.(Theres a one pound steel float ball on top) They use much less conditioner and loose  less water. there is very little evaporation.Also the water cooled door. Less heat loss from an exposed cast iron door and they dont warp like The steel door I have.The inner firebox door then outer insulated door is a nicer appearance.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

homeyd

we live in s.west va.winters latley have been kinda mild we have a hicks waterstove made in n.c for3yrs. very simple stove . meaning  not alot of unseen problems to try to figure out. it does have forced  combustion air ,controlled by a t stat , a pump ,solar plumbing and we heat our dom. hot water in the summer.only prob i had was the pump went out  but it had a 3 yr warranty. they were very promt replacing it .no questions asked.so far so good ..hear alot about the c.b and heat more . heatmore has a dealer kinda close. whats the big advantage over their stove as opposed to the one i hsve? need some advice pleas    thanks for any comments   

sparky1

I think this is one of them questions where your gonna get alot of biased answeres.. everyone loves what they have!! :D  I have a cb6400.. its simple and big. thats why i bought this compared to the e classic last year.. I admit it goes through alot of wood!! It could be alot to do with my house??? but woods cheap for me, free. it is alot of work cutting wood, but good exercise!!!
Shaun J

Thank You Sponsors!