iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tempest splitter wedge design

Started by muddstopper, February 28, 2013, 07:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddstopper

I seem to remember someone here built a modified tempest design splitting wedge for their wood splitter. I have searched for the pics, but havent had any luck finding them. If someone remembers that thread, can you post a link. Better yet, if you have a wedge design that you think is better than the tempest, post up a pic. I am getting ready to start my processor build and mulling over the thoughts of using some sort of modified wedge design similar to what the tempest company is putting on their splitters. Only better of course!!!

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

muddstopper

Yep, thats the wedge. Someone, Here I think, built their own with a few modifications. I thought it was an interesting concept and am wanting another peek at that design modification.

If memory serves me correctly, the one I am thinking about had more than one horizonal knife edge, sort of like two tempest wedges stacked on top of each other. Anyways, that the way I remember it.

thecfarm

I remember that too, a few weeks ago.I'm on dail up so I know I did not see a video. Do a search on my user name and maybe splitter. I tried to do it,but pictures load up kinda slow. Knowng me I bet I said something.  ;D  I like things like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

It makes too many small slivers for me, looks like a lot of waste.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

muddstopper

I agree, it does seem to make a lot of splinters, but so does about any other cookie cutter wedge design. I think with a little tweeking, it might suit my needs. I noticed that Tempest also made a kindling wedge that cuts the pieces even smaller, 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, but watching their video it was having real problems going from a large round to kindling in one step. I get enough splinters from my 4way wedge to worry about making ity bity pieces, so I wont be persueing making kindling.

I am thinking that the tic tac toe design of the tempest would help me eleminate resplitting the large quarters derived from 24' dia rounds. If I build this design, it would be an adjustable height design, not like the fixed wedge on the tempest. That should help some with the slivers.  Splitting tonnage could be a problem and also designing a good backbone to support the wedge.

Still havent found the thread of the modified tempest wedge design. I sure would like to find out how well it worked before building my own.

muddstopper

Finally found the thread. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56130.0.html
Sunset provided a link to tractorbynet where there is a lot more discussion about his build. I think that is where I probably first read about it.

Sunsets wedge design is still different that what I am planning, but did provide some good insite of some of the issues I will probably face. Since my wedge will be for a processor build, I wont be backing the round up for second and third passes thru the wedge. My plans are to actually  split a 24in log into finished splits in one pass. To do this, I am wanting to stack the box wedge design so that I am producing the same amount of small blocks in one pass as is being done with multiple passes of the conventional box wedge. Looks like tons of power will be needed and lots of re-enforcement to overcome binding issues. I have to do a little more thinking and then drawup what I think will work, then look at it some more before I start this project. Of course if anybody wants to throw out their ideals, I would like to hear them.

DaleK

Binding- the mistake i see a lot is people putting their wedges at the same 90degree angle. If you look closely at the tempest wedge only the centre vertical wedge is 90 degrees, as you go out or up the angle tips out a little more so every "chute" between wedges is tapered in both directions. Not to say it can't still bind but much less so
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

beenthere

DaleK is right on the money.
The wood has to have someplace to go after the leading edge of the wedge opens it up. Otherwise, a wood extrusion will take place, and compressing wood takes a lot more force than splitting it. As well, the splitter wedge system will be ripped apart.

Be pretty tough to design for a stacked Tempest wedge system.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

muddstopper

I think the binding issue is pretty easily solved. Simply dont try to cut every piece at once. I think, but am also still thinking about this, if you where to mount the horizonal blades so that they split the wood first, lets say cutting the round into thirds, then place the vertical wedges, so that they then third each of those thirds it should work. The center vertical and horizonal wedges would be at a 90d angle, the top/bottom horizonal, and the outside vertical wedges would be wider at the back. Each knife spaced 6inches apart to give 6in blocks with 6 inches wedge left open above and on each side like hash marks##, there would be very little to bind.

Drawback to this proposed design would be that the last stick to be split would have to be manually removed from the wedge since the pusher block would not extend to all the knife edges. Anyways, still thinking about how to make this work so open to more ideals and suggestions.

Edited to add another drawback is trying to figure out how to mount such a design.

Thank You Sponsors!