iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shaving horse

Started by jimparamedic, September 03, 2011, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on January 07, 2013, 07:49:46 PM
Just for full disclosure, the cat picture is from the internet, but the shaving horse is mine!

Wimp!  A real framer would wear "shaving a cat with the aid of a schnitzelbunk" as a badge of honor!   :D

Rooster   (Oh, yeah...I signed my name...and Dave's!)
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Brad_bb

DL Bahler,
Valid points.  but the way my seat split, both side wings split off, and splintered quite a bit.  Not saveable with the technique you described, not really. 

I didn't have any white pine decking laying around that Rooster used.  I had White oak, Shagbark Hickory, or Walnut.  Walnut being a bit lighter than the others, and very nice looking(I love the true chocolate color of walnut), plus I had aquired 50 5/4 boards recently ranging from 12 to 5 inches wide.  I had never worked with Walnut before, so I jumped in.  It's dry and I like how it works with a plane.  By the time I finish shaping it, I don't think the weight will be too bad.  I'll post pic after I get the chamfer on the sides and some sanding.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

D L Bahler

I would have used the white oak myself, it has a stronger grain and is not so prone to split.

But I am sure what you have will work for you, and give you years of good service.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Boy, that cat sure looks pithed off.

Can't say I blame him either...

Herb

2bitaxe

Greetings!

Here is the shaving horse I made out of an Ash log I had laying around. I don't have electricity in my shop so I built mine with a chainsaw and hand tools. I created a tutorial with step by step instructions for making a shaving horse with pictures here: http://diytimberframe.com/tools/13-hand-tools/47-shaving-horse

If I had to do it again... I'd probably make the bench thinner so it wasn't so heavy! Ugh!

Cheers,
Tom Jefferson
Tom Jefferson
DIY Timber Frame
tom@diytimberframe.com

ziggy

I recently finished this shaving horse, based on Peter Galbert's very sweet design. It's got an ingenious ratcheting/adjustable head, that allows you to clamp down on smaller or larger pieces without moving pins or dowels, and the head always falls on the same place on the horse. The shallow angle makes for comfortable shaving, too.

It's the best design I have seen. Here is mine, based on his free plans (http://www.chairnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Shavehorse%20Plans):

Brad_bb

From the link that ziggy posted, there was this good video on shaving horse ergonomics as well as his ratcheing head design.
http://youtu.be/Jcb6rgZJcqo

jimparamedic

Love the posts it just goes to show one thing can be made many different ways, no right no wrong,

rmawhinney

Hey guys this is a sketchup plan for the shaver I am about to build see what you think. The ideas have all pretty much come from this thread.

Thanks Brad didn't think of that.

Brad_bb

Not everybody used sketch up.  Consider posting an image if convenient.

S.Hyland

Here is the shaving horse I made the other week.  8)It's the first I've made, I was borrowing one from someone before that.
I like it, but if I had designed it so the bridge was adjustable it would have been nice...

I decided to make it all wood.There is not a piece of metal in it!
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

S.Hyland

I should also add that this thread was pretty handy in deciding how I wanted too make it. :P Thanks to all you cool guys and your cool horses!  O0
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Thank You Sponsors!