iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

watch those Railroad crossings...

Started by hillbillyhogs, May 15, 2013, 12:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyhogs

Wife's uncle killed yesterday morning, train hit his pickup

4speed

Sorry to hear that, hillbilly. Prayers for the family.

mesquite buckeye

So sorry to hear that.

A family near my farm, now in-laws to my sister had a farm where the driveway crossed the track leaving the farm, got hit by a train. Lost the whole family.

That's been some 40 or 50 years now, nobody ever lived in the house again. Now all in ruins. Very sad.

Sorry for your loss.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Stephen1

It is a shame and hard on the family. My thoughts go to your wife and family.
The real hardship is the crew on the train who had to experience the accident.

I have been involved in 8 incidents over the years, and they never get any easier to handle. Each case is ussually 6-12 months off work with intensive pyschiatric therapy for PTSD.
At least now they know what is wrong with the train crews, in years past as in wars of the past, everyone was told to suck it up. Ever since Viet nam they at least know we are affected. The carnige I have had to go back to find would blow you away.
I just wish more people knew of the train crews hardship as they now will live with that for the rest of thier lives. The person they hit is gone.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hillbillyhogs

December 16th 2008, my daughter and I were going to town to the bank, I was driving a Ford 4 door truck, lady pulled out in front of me she was dead a few minutes afterward. Talked to her and everything. It works on you more than people realize.

SPIKER

Kind of sad, small town I grew up in has 4 set of tracks coming thru it.   there were a lot of fatalities there due to the tracks.   My sister loved feet from them and as a kid I walked and played & hunted them tracks a LOT.   There is a Bridge all stone out a ways that crosses over Black River.   we used to fish & fun out there a lot & were always cautious, but the younger sister of one of my classmates was killed on them.   She was doing my classmates paper rout as her sister was sick. 

There was one younger girl killed and the car/train stopped right behind my sisters house & they carried her out of the car on 2 different stretchers. :(   I would not want to be on 1st responders job either not something I want to do.   We had a roll Off Dumpster Truck crash in front of the shop I worked at.   (DEEP DITCH) on other side of the state road, driver went off the right side into the ditch & truck rolled onto it's side hitting a group of medium size maple trees which cleaned off the cab the dumpster and the hood of the kenworth.   Driver was still in his seat but no longer conscious, engine was running but out of gear.   nothing of the dash left to even turn off the thing...   He didnt make it sorry to say and I still think about it 15 + years later. :(

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

That is some sad news. Sorry to hear that happened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DDDfarmer

Friend of mine was killed 15 years ago due to a train.  Bad crossing almost have to be on it before you could see down the tracks. 

Early December snow packed roads, clean white snow and a bright morning sun. They said that her truck slid on the ice onto the tracks. Always think that if she would have just hit the gas the train might have hit the box instead of the cab, and she might still be here :'(
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

sawguy21

That is far too common. I almost got nailed by a train, I had crossed those tracks hundreds of times and got complacent. Glanced both ways, started across and realized suddenly there is a flipping TRAIN.  :o I got really careful after that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

We don't have trains up here anymore  :-\ 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

justallan1

Very sorry for your loss, Hillbilly.
For me, I think Sawguy got it right. I've had a couple of close ones just out of getting to complacent and putting myself in that spot.
It's a bad deal for everyone involved.

Allan

Raider Bill

I remember  years ago a fire truck responding thought they could make a train crossing as the arms were going down. train broad sided them. Ugly
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Kansas

Its amazing the power of a train. Those things don't give at all.

Some years ago, back in my feed mill days, sent a truck to get weighed on the other side of the tracks. This was a big truck, an Autocar. He got hit by the local train. I doubt the train was going much more than 10 mph. Hit the back end, totaled the truck, spun it into a vehicle waiting on the other side. Totaled that vehicle. The kid was okay, although he had owl eyes, as I call them, and I sent him in to be checked out. Later on someone from the railroad came by the office to find out if he was okay. I said yes, and asked what kind of damage was done to the train. He said, a hand railing was scratched.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

My parents were killed when Dad lost control of his car and crossed the median on I-75 in Georgia. There was a semi coming in that lane and it broadsided the car, killed them both instantly. There was nothing the trucker could have done to prevent the accident. I heard that he was devastated and that it weighed on him heavily until his own death a few years later.

Herb

millstead

Quote from: Stephen1 on May 15, 2013, 06:10:11 PM
It is a shame and hard on the family. My thoughts go to your wife and family.
The real hardship is the crew on the train who had to experience the accident.

I have been involved in 8 incidents over the years, and they never get any easier to handle. Each case is ussually 6-12 months off work with intensive pyschiatric therapy for PTSD.
At least now they know what is wrong with the train crews, in years past as in wars of the past, everyone was told to suck it up. Ever since Viet nam they at least know we are affected. The carnige I have had to go back to find would blow you away.
I just wish more people knew of the train crews hardship as they now will live with that for the rest of thier lives. The person they hit is gone.
i am an engineer for the railroad and things are much different here when there is a fatality at a crossing they don't offer any time off or even anyone to talk to most times after the coroner leaves they want you to keep working

Thank You Sponsors!