iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a skidder, again.

Started by saxon0364, April 23, 2013, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxon0364

Ive been thinking about buying another skidder. I wanted something small like the old Timberjack 225E I used to have.  I looked at a JD540, and a 440a.    Good machines but I just didn't quite want them.    A friend told me a guy had a 225 for sale not 25 miles from my place. I called him the Saturday before last.   We met at his log yard that afternoon.  Nice guy.
He showed me around his mill and log yard, a real going concern.   Then we looked at the skidder.  I get out of the truck, walk up to it, and start telling the seller all about it.   He says what are you talking about?    I told him who he bought it from.  He asked "How the hell can you know that?    I knew because he got it form the guy that got it from me.   It was my old 225E!  It looks a little worse than when I saw it last. Has some bad seals and needs a few lines replaced.   The seats disintegrated. And the batteries were dead.   I didnt give a hoot. Made him an offer. He countered. I countered, but I was at a disadvantage because he knew I wanted it back.   We settled on $10,000.  Maybe he'd have taken less if I had played it better, but I'd have paid more. 
     Wonder of wonders the bank said no problem, I picked it up yesterday, did a few things to it and pulled a load of logs out today.  Felt right.    Payments low, interest rate was 6 and a quarter.   Even I can handle that.   Life is good.     Ill take some picks if anybody wants to see an old skidder.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

thecfarm

I like pictures of skidders,  :D

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

And how much did you originally sell it for? :D

Some things sound like fate to me
well that didn't work

mad murdock

The moral of the story- be good to your machine, you never know who will buy it next?!?  Well done sir!  Pics please :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Stephen Alford

Good on ya saxton, when I bought bought back my log loadloader felt like I was coming ahead, odd.  :D
Carefull Corley5 or you will be wishing you had that monkey on the beam  back.  ;) Congrats to you as well on your new machine!

ol skidders blue skies and tall trees works for me as well.  :)
logon

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

saxon0364

Thanks guys. :)    I did it right for a change this time.   I sign a contract with a mill BEFORE I bought the skidder.  About three weeks ago, on a Thursday we got rained out, skid roads were going real bad even pulling with horses.  So we knocked off early.   I was on my home and got a call from a mill near where I live. It was the owner and he asked me to come see him at the office the next morning. Ive sold him some logs off and on so he knows me.   So I did. He gave me a cup of coffee, a Tshirt, and asked if I wanted to sign  a contract to cut and skid for them.  I said I didnt have a skidder. He said get one, Ill keep you busy.  So it all came together.   Its pouring here today so Im going out to replace some lines so Ill get pics.

saxon0364

Quote from: thenorthman on April 23, 2013, 11:22:29 PM
And how much did you originally sell it for? :D

Some things sound like fate to me

Well, I gotta be honest. I didnt "sell" it to the guy that got it from me.   I lost it.  He had a mill and went belly up.   I was contracting with him to cut and skid and was making payments to him for the skidder.   When he went belly up things got ugly and I couldnt keep up so he took it back. Tried to sell it before that happened but it didnt work out. Tried to finace it as well but couldn't get credit then.  I had a 440B then to and it was payed for so I kept that for a while.  2003 to around 2006 was really bad around here.  You couldn't give a way logs. Lot of guys went under during that time.  I was one of them.  Had to sell my woodmizor, and my 440B in the end.   Rebuilding now I guess. :D

clww

Good to read that things are looking up for you now. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ed_K

Way to go  8) it's good to hear work is picking up.I sign a contract last week,first in 2 yrs.
Ed K

Corley5

Quote from: Stephen Alford on April 24, 2013, 07:16:36 AM

Carefull Corley5 or you will be wishing you had that monkey on the beam  back.  ;) Congrats to you as well on your new machine!

;D  Thank You
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Autocar

Just like Stephen Alford said old skidders blue sky and long timber I'll second that  :D . Great pictures and storys.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!