The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Lucas Hydraulic Booster, an experiment.  (Read 11689 times)

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Lucas Hydraulic Booster, an experiment.
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:39 AM »
  After reading a post about Lucas oil treatments I decided to get some of their hydraulic booster and stop leak for some old tractors that seep oil. The stuff is extremely thick and tacky and I wondered if it would mix easily and stay mixed so I did a little experiment. In a clean glass jar (Mount Olive Pickles), there I mentioned food, I poured 1" of new TSC hydraulic oil, clear with very little tack, and then poured in 1/8" of the Lucas Hyd Booster, thick and red. Several hours later the booster was settled to the bottom with no sign of mixing so I swirled and shook until it mixed and then placed the jar on a shelf. One week later it shows no sign of separating so that's good. In conclusion I guess in a skidder or tractor that bounces around it will probably get mixed OK but in a stationary tank I would recommend mixing a bit before pouring in. In my 1956 JD620 with a splitter attached I split for awhile until the hoses were warm then poured in the booster with it running then continued splitting, now to see if the leaking slows.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Lucas Hydraulic Booster, an experiment.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Good luck. My hyds are fine,but my motor on the tractor has a leak.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline plasticweld

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • EmpireGP.com   my other business
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »
I learned this trick a few years ago by mistake, I had problems with my hydraulic system freezing up, I had moisture in the fluid and it had clogged the filter, I added some 911 with the idea that it would keep this from happening . I also noticed that a bunch of small leaks I had seemed to get better. I did not pay to much attention it at first but after using it numerous time I found that leaks always got better. I now add out of habit 911 to all of my equipment and can tell when I have not based on the leaks. It costs almost nothing for you to try

Offline treeslayer2003

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »
I learned this trick a few years ago by mistake, I had problems with my hydraulic system freezing up, I had moisture in the fluid and it had clogged the filter, I added some 911 with the idea that it would keep this from happening . I also noticed that a bunch of small leaks I had seemed to get better. I did not pay to much attention it at first but after using it numerous time I found that leaks always got better. I now add out of habit 911 to all of my equipment and can tell when I have not based on the leaks. It costs almost nothing for you to try
you mean the fuel treatment?

Offline Kemper

• Full Member x2
  • Go Big Blue!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
What ratio?

Offline plasticweld

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:27:22 AM »
Yes I mean the fuel treatment, I add about 1 pint to the skidders and a quart to both landing loaders, you will see almost an immediate improvement over things like small leaks around control valves and leaky cylinders. Enough of an improvement where I have gone from thinking this needed to be serviced right now till it can wait to spring type of stuff.  I always keep it on hand, pretty cheap at walmart

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:42:39 AM »
does one dare to add it to motor  oil ???

Offline treeslayer2003

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »
Yes I mean the fuel treatment, I add about 1 pint to the skidders and a quart to both landing loaders, you will see almost an immediate improvement over things like small leaks around control valves and leaky cylinders. Enough of an improvement where I have gone from thinking this needed to be serviced right now till it can wait to spring type of stuff.  I always keep it on hand, pretty cheap at walmart
I would love to know why it helps. wonder what exactly is in it.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
coxy,you first.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
you sound like the rest of my buddy s  that  s  what they say its always me go first  :D 8)

Offline plasticweld

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
as best I can tell it softens and swells the o rings. I have been doing this for 3 years now so it is not new to me, I have never tried it in motor oil. Would not be shy about trying it if I had leaks related to o rings

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
Hard to imagine what chemical would soften and swell an O ring. Have to wonder what else it might do.

Real curious to know.

And coxy, we'll hold your beer.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
Hard to imagine what chemical would soften and swell an O ring. Have to wonder what else it might do.

Real curious to know.

And coxy, we'll hold your beer.   ;D

I'm going to guess it's some type of alcohol since it is to absorb water and then burn, a dry gas for diesels. I also would think your loosing some lubricity so I don't think I'll try it, just have to hope the Lucas stuff which was made for hydraulic systems and increases lubricity works. JMHO
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
There are plenty of things that will mess with rubber. For an experiment, put something rubber in diesel fuel. I had a fitted rubber mat in the bed of my pickup years ago. I had a truck tank in the bed one winter and some of the diesel spilled in the bed. In the spring I took everything out and washed out the truck. When I put the rubber mat back in, it was about 8" longer from the wheel wells to the cab.  :D The back end didn't grow, as it didn't get any diesel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
  I'm going to guess it's some type of alcohol since it is to absorb water and then burn, a dry gas for diesels. I also would think your loosing some lubricity so I don't think I'll try it, just have to hope the Lucas stuff which was made for hydraulic systems and increases lubricity works. JMHO

I'm waiting to see how this turns out.
I've always been skeptical about the "liquid fixes" for leaks for anything that holds liquid. I remember the "egg keep" or liquid glass they used to use in radiators.  :o
I had the power steering pump start dumping fluid the other day so bad that I couldn't get to the job and back before it was empty. Since I had convinced myself that I didn't have time to change it out right now, I grabbed a couple of bottles of Lucas power steering stop leak stuff, and hoped for the best. I filled it with one bottle and saw immediate results. I used about 1/2 the second bottle and haven't had to add any since, and that was over a week ago. Time will reveal any adverse effects, the pump was junk anyway, I just hope it doesn't hurt the gear box.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
^The red Lucas Mucus gets really stiff in cold weather.  Probably won't hurt the box, but the action may be tight for the first ten minutes or so.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
In my youger yrs i used a nip of smirnoff in the auto trans of old cars to get a few more months.
Ed K

Online Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
In my youger yrs i used a nip of smirnoff in the auto trans of old cars to get a few more months.

Ed, I had to read that a number of times before I saw you said "in the auto trans."  :D :D

For me, these special additives are like Fo Fo powder. Like the old guy that was throwing a pinch of this white powder over his shoulder periodically and when his buddy asked him why, he responded that it was to keep the lions away. When his buddy said "there are no lions here" he responded, "see, it works."  ::)

Seriously, most all seals and O rings contain plasticizers that are supposed to keep the material soft and pliable. But as they age, they start to lose those plasticizers and become harder and less pliable. Anything you add to your hydraulic oil that will soften the seals and O rings is actually going to dissolve them rather than reinstall the plasticizers. And that is not a good idea.

So it's kind of like they said about what Obamacare was going to do to granny when the end was near. If you can't afford fix her, either poison her or pull the plug on her.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »

At least that is what you told Dad when he discovered less and less in the bottle...   ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Octane Booster

Started by D._Frederick on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2005, 12:29:10 PM
by leweee
xx
brake booster for 72 international 1ton

Started by LeeB on Wanted

9 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 07:18:43 AM
by LeeB