iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tetanus shot/booster -- a good idea

Started by SawyerBrown, March 04, 2014, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

At the doctor yesterday, asked me what I was doing these days (sawing), then asked how long since I'd had a tetanus shot.  When I was a kid, I think.  Well, not a good idea, so had one on the spot.

Just a reminder that, in our line of work, probably not a bad idea to keep up to date.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Dave Shepard

I got one at the ER a couple years ago. I guess sticking a freshly sharpened framing chisel into your leg qualifies you for a booster. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawyerBrown

Dave, you don't have to do something like that to get a tetanus booster ... you just hand them some money and they'll do it any time.   :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Dave Shepard

Yes, but the true confirmation of your sharpening skills is when the ER doc tells you he couldn't have made a nicer incision himself. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cedarman

If they come at me with a chisel to give my shot, I am out of there.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Peter Drouin

Just got one last week good for ten years.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chevytaHOE5674

I got my booster last fall in the ER, went in to get a piece of steel dug out of my eye and ended up getting the tetanus booster as well :D

sandhills

Amazing how many of us get our booster in an ER room  :D.  Couple years ago and had to pay an extra 650 for the stitches that went with the shot.

RPowers

While it might not be a bad idea to stay up on that booster as we work around sharp things in dirty environments, tetanus isn't really that big of a risk. The microbe that causes tetanus toxicity cannot live in the presence of air and sunlight, so even a rusty nail from a fence board is a 0% risk, unless it has recently dug under the soil and deposits this deep into a hard to clean wound.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

terry f

Got one two years ago when my grandson was born, whooping cough was bad in Washington and my daughter in law thought it was a good idea.

Chuck White

I requested and got mine about 3 years ago at a routine office visit!

I feel that anyone in a job that might be "cut" related should keep up on the tetanus shots and maybe even one or two years early!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

Whenever I get hurt bad enough that it requires a Dr. visit I usually end up with a tetanus shot.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

red oaks lumber

the e r ? thats called an office visit :D :D they always ask who your regular dr. is and i always say, who ever is working the er today
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Farmerjw

Hate to tell you guys, a tetnus shot given in the ER or for an injury is fast acting and attacks the wound if needed.  It is not the same as the long residing one.  Used to shoe horses for a living, keep up on my tetnus shots and still after bad injuries get the immediate one. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

MattJ

Okay finally a topic where I can claim actual real expertise!  I lead development teams for pharmaceutical companies and I worked for five years developing infant vaccines and can vouch this is a booster that you don't want to miss.  Also the comment on tetanus not being on a nail isn't 100% accurate.  Tetanus forms spores (think bacterial seeds) and these are really, really difficult to eliminate.  They aren't harmed by drying out, air, water... until they find a nice condition to start growing and grow they will.  Tetanus spores require 121C (250F) for 20 min to kill, i.e. above boiling, i.e. your kiln won't even kill it.  Alcohol unless applied for long periods won't kill it.  Bleach is about the only quick kill for them.  At my former company we had a building we made tetanus in that we could never eliminate the spores from, it was boarded up and guarded until careful demolition. 

Tetanus spores are all around us in soil etc.  No need to do further fear mongering, just get a booster!  They are cheap and the pharmaceutical companies make essentially nothing on them.  If it wasn't for the government and the CDC nobody would make them (one item to be thankful for the government on!).

Take it easy

Matt

m wood

Red oaks, that is a hoot.  Been to the ER twice since I saw my doctor last(sumpin like 7 yrs).  I'm using that one next time I go.  Yes, my booster was from the ER and is 7 yrs old ;D.  they assured it was the long lasting one
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

red oaks lumber

achohol applied for long periods?  oh ya i must a killed the spores. :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

blackfoot griz

My wife (a microbiologist) just told me that the most common vaccine is a "dT" for diphtheria and Tetanus. She looks @ little bugs all day and a big bug (me) in the evenings. smiley_grin

She also suggested MattJ was spot on with his analysis.

RPowers

Quote from: MattJ on March 05, 2014, 06:06:05 PM
Okay finally a topic where I can claim actual real expertise!  I lead development teams for pharmaceutical companies and I worked for five years developing infant vaccines and can vouch this is a booster that you don't want to miss.  Also the comment on tetanus not being on a nail isn't 100% accurate.  Tetanus forms spores (think bacterial seeds) and these are really, really difficult to eliminate.  They aren't harmed by drying out, air, water... until they find a nice condition to start growing and grow they will.  Tetanus spores require 121C (250F) for 20 min to kill, i.e. above boiling, i.e. your kiln won't even kill it.  Alcohol unless applied for long periods won't kill it.  Bleach is about the only quick kill for them.  At my former company we had a building we made tetanus in that we could never eliminate the spores from, it was boarded up and guarded until careful demolition. 

Tetanus spores are all around us in soil etc.  No need to do further fear mongering, just get a booster!  They are cheap and the pharmaceutical companies make essentially nothing on them.  If it wasn't for the government and the CDC nobody would make them (one item to be thankful for the government on!).

Take it easy

Matt

Good info Matt, thanks. I didn't realize that the spores of the organism were so hardy. The more you know. :)
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

MattJ

No problem.  Just don't want to see anyone suffer from something that can be prevented especially with our jobs and hobbies where we go around hurting ourselves regularly. 

If you are ever bored google Andrew Wakefield and read how lack of accurate communication on vaccines has lead to thousands of child hospitalizations and deaths.  When we helped the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation work on a project for vaccinating in areas of unmet medical needs, where safe and effective vaccines existed, the number they threw around was 2100 preventable child deaths per day.  As a parent I couldn't even fathom that. 

36 coupe

Quote from: RPowers on March 04, 2014, 01:56:33 PM
While it might not be a bad idea to stay up on that booster as we work around sharp things in dirty environments, tetanus isn't really that big of a risk. The microbe that causes tetanus toxicity cannot live in the presence of air and sunlight, so even a rusty nail from a fence board is a 0% risk, unless it has recently dug under the soil and deposits this deep into a hard to clean wound.
Your post is a good example of why forums are bum places to get information.Mesanie Williams left Maine after the bank took her home.She had a saddle horse and a pack horse.The pack horse stepped on a wooden vegetable crate on the road and died with tetanus .Art Linkletter gave her a new pack horse. She made to California and turned back and headed for the east coast.Her book The Last of the Saddle Tramps should be read by all .I have worked with live stock for 65 years and kept my tetanus shot up to date.

Warbird

Quote from: MattJ on March 06, 2014, 01:31:18 PM
If you are ever bored google Andrew Wakefield and read how lack of accurate communication on vaccines has lead to thousands of child hospitalizations and deaths.  When we helped the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation work on a project for vaccinating in areas of unmet medical needs, where safe and effective vaccines existed, the number they threw around was 2100 preventable child deaths per day.  As a parent I couldn't even fathom that. 

As a parent, I can't either!  Scary.  Thanks for all the good info, Matt.  If your company is hiring IT Managers, send me a PM.  ;D

Magicman

Thanks MattJ.  I keep mine up to date, but your information was an eye opener.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattJ

Forums are great places for information and to stimulate discussion.  I just wouldn't make literal life or death decisions (or potentially financially crippling decisions) based off them.  I absolutely love what I learn here.

For the healthcare stuff I would encourage all to explore what the centers for disease control (CDC) publishes out of Atlanta.  Its your tax dollars at work and they are really under-rated in my opinion for the value they offer to the public and they great information they provide.  They offer lots of great reading material in peer-reviewed medical articles that is data, not politically based.  They were also the force behind eliminating diseases such as Measles, Diphtheria, Polio, Whooping cough, and stopping epidemics.  One area that makes me really appreciate what blessings I have as a US citizen and the benefits our country shares worldwide.   

Thank You Sponsors!