iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Serco 4000 Loader

Started by RangeSawing, October 16, 2023, 07:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RangeSawing

I have the opportunity to buy a Serco 4000 log loader that was used in a plant I worked at that was idled. Was used minimally to unjam a conveyor occasionally, inside all the time. Appears to be bolted down to a sole plate and has dual joysticks for operation. 
I can get it for scrap value, want to use for my sawmill operation.
Looking for how much it weighs, specs and if it's worth monkeying with for that price
Thanks
RangeSawing 
I don't know much, but what I do know, I'm not very good at!

BargeMonkey

Good loader. They where on the 230s, 610s, not a huge amount of reach but got it done. Parts are around for them. Probably be able to find a brochure on Google, I doubt it weighs 2.5 ton depending on what the base looks like. 

barbender

If you can get it for scrap price it would certainly be worth it, if it's junk you can always continue on to the scrap yard
Too many irons in the fire

RangeSawing

That's kinda my thoughts, if I had to estimate this loader has only moved 20 cord of wood in its life and has never seen daylight. I have been all over the internet looking for specs but they are pretty limited...

BargeMonkey

If the buckets decent your getting the loader for nothing. I had that loader on my 230 long bunk, empty and reached out it would tip the wheels up, depends what your putting it on is the limiting factor on pick, I only ever found a few beech / oak it didn't wanna drag up in 9-10' sticks on decent wood. 

barbender

I see you are in northern MN too (which I suspected from your username). The Serco factory is right over in Two Harbors so I doubt there is anything on that loader you can't get from them.

RangeSawing

You are correct, I live on the Iron range and visit LP in two harbors (right next door to Serco) regularly. I reached out to Serco for more info but they have yet to reply. I let the plant know I will buy the loader, now I'm working on figuring out how I will mount it in the sawmill shed to feed the operation.

barbender

If you're in Two Harbors I would just stop in at Serco and talk to them about it. I haven't been to the factory myself, but the logging outfit I worked for has a fleet of about 25 Serco 7000 center mounts. When a loader needed something they would just drive the truck over and hang out at the plant while the loader got serviced. I think it's one of the more old school operations where face to face will work better than email, a lot of those operations aren't real tech savvy😊

Ron Scott

I agree. Stop by the Serco plant and visit with them. They make a good product and are helpful when asked from what I know of them.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!