iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic hose's.

Started by BargeMonkey, November 26, 2015, 10:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

We always have the guys blow a "cork" through the new hoses after they are made.   They are soft foam ear plug looking things a little bigger than the ID of the hose.   I think some should be surprised at the junk that comes out.   Hydraulic system.s are too expensive on this stuff to mess around with dirty parts.

CTL logger

I told the one shop I sometimes buy hose and fittings from about reusing the fittings and they told me it would never work and never stay together. It's never been a problem if you check the crimp everytime, I also buy non gates hose they said that won't work either but it's all sae standard size hose. They just don't like me shopping elsewhere. 

BargeMonkey

I like the idea of the reusable ends, I'm a fan of saving as much as I can when I can. I'm leery of doing it for customers, another local guy is in the middle of a lawsuit over a hose end coming off and spraying someone, I don't know all the particulars but I want to avoid trouble at all cost. The city guy who gets a hose made at 7pm on a Saturday is going to pay dearly anyway, already see what it's going to cost to sit on the stuff.  Waiting to hear but looks like I'm headed to CT when I get home, guy has just what I'm looking for, with some fittings. Right before christmas CASH goes alot further.

whitepine2

I want to say don't mix and match hose,only use the hose that is afford by the manufacturer of the machine. If it's for yourself that's one thing but with the lawyers if you are selling be warned (DON"T DO IT). It is bad enough when you do things right things can go wrong. When setting up the press you will need to mic. the flange until it's right on the money too much no good,too little no good could be trouble then if you mix and match only God knows. I have a weather head system,started with hydrowflex system many years ago when working at hydraulic shop. Like said for yourself it's up to you I do stuff for me and friends and will mix like a return low pressure line but it's under my control. Yes it will cost $$$$ to get set up best to buy in bulk hose and ends and just get what you will need the most common sizes ends are dear and can cost as much as the hose you will make that being said there is nothing like making up a line in 15-20 min. and back to work,well worth the investment.
            Just be careful and use common sense my 2 cents   

snowstorm

Quote from: whitepine2 on November 30, 2015, 03:18:59 PM
   I want to say don't mix and match hose,only use the hose that is afford by the manufacturer of the machine. If it's for yourself that's one thing but with the lawyers if you are selling be warned (DON"T DO IT). It is bad enough when you do things right things can go wrong. When setting up the press you will need to mic. the flange until it's right on the money too much no good,too little no good could be trouble then if you mix and match only God knows. I have a weather head system,started with hydrowflex system many years ago when working at hydraulic shop. Like said for yourself it's up to you I do stuff for me and friends and will mix like a return low pressure line but it's under my control. Yes it will cost $$$$ to get set up best to buy in bulk hose and ends and just get what you will need the most common sizes ends are dear and can cost as much as the hose you will make that being said there is nothing like making up a line in 15-20 min. and back to work,well worth the investment.
            Just be careful and use common sense my 2 cents
just what he said. i had the sleeve blow off a fitting. the brand of fitting wasnt the brand of the hose. it spilt the sleeve the length  of it in 2 places. from the time it went bang until the low oil alarm came on was less than 30 sec

CTL logger

I guess I wasn't saying use any hose and any fittings I always use gates fittings with my gates machine. But I quit buying gates hose because the cost I had a whole roll of 1/2" 2 wire gates that kept getting cracks in the outer cover gates wouldn't do anything about it I did some research found that in 1" 4 wire hose if it's stamped sae100r12 it's an industry standard size  1" inside 1.50" outside. I'm not saying this is the case in all sizes but I make more 4 wire hoses than anything else and never have issues. I've  also never sold a single hose to anyone if I was in the business of selling hose I'd be legally obligated to sell the correct product.

Gearbox

Someone I think Parker makes a foam slug that you shoot thru with air to clean the line after making your crimps . With the cost of pumps there is no way I would do a stump repair .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

whitepine2

Quote from: CTL logger on November 30, 2015, 08:03:14 PM
I guess I wasn't saying use any hose and any fittings I always use gates fittings with my gates machine. But I quit buying gates hose because the cost I had a whole roll of 1/2" 2 wire gates that kept getting cracks in the outer cover gates wouldn't do anything about it I did some research found that in 1" 4 wire hose if it's stamped sae100r12 it's an industry standard size  1" inside 1.50" outside. I'm not saying this is the case in all sizes but I make more 4 wire hoses than anything else and never have issues. I've  also never sold a single hose to anyone if I was in the business of selling hose I'd be legally obligated to sell the correct product.
Cracks on the outside don't mean much it's the wire that is important,that's where the pressure is the outside dont hold pressure. The outside keeps water off the steel on the inside so it don't rust. Somewhere I saw where someone made from pipe fitten a tool that had a cutter inside and you could put plastic pipe inside and turn it this inturn made a ribbon which could go over the line for protection much like the store bought ones but much cheaper,like a poor mans protector.
  You gotta be careful because the gates fittings are made for Gates hose some can be crossed over but you should check with Gates and or the manufacturer of the hose.Like I stated before the fitting should be micked to a certain crimp set up by the manufacturer,this is critical in making hose a lot more than meets the eye. Like said for yourself go for it but be aware there can be repercussions. Man got killed in next town over,had put a new hose on loader,they found him under the bucket in the morning and as I understand it was a new hose made by IH end came off and squashed him didn't see it coming. I wont walk under any bucket after hearing this and take great pains when making up a line.             

CTL logger

QuoteCracks on the outside don't mean much it's the wire that is important,that's where the pressure is the outside dont hold pressure. The outside keeps water off the steel on the inside so it don't rust. Somewhere I saw where someone made from pipe fitten a tool that had a cutter inside and you could put plastic pipe inside and turn it this inturn made a ribbon which could go over the line for protection much like the store bought ones but much cheaper,like a poor mans protector.
  You gotta be careful because the gates fittings are made for Gates hose some can be crossed over but you should check with Gates and or the manufacturer of the hose.Like I stated before the fitting should be micked to a certain crimp set up by the manufacturer,this is critical in making hose a lot more than meets the eye. Like said for yourself go for it but be aware there can be repercussions. Man got killed in next town over,had put a new hose on loader,they found him under the bucket in the morning and as I understand it was a new hose made by IH end came off and squashed him didn't see it coming. I wont walk under any bucket after hearing this and take great pains when making up a line.             
Your absolutely correct I mic every crimp it's the only way to make sure your machine is working properly. And cracks in the cover aren't a big deal until these hoses are on a truck mounted loader driving down salted winter roads and every couple of days you replacing the same 4 hoses over and over again. I only wanted them to replace the 300' spool I had bought I put a bunch of hoses in a sealed container shipped it to gates in Denver Colorado and it was never seen again. I'm just saying in my application cracks in the cover mattered a lot.

beenthere

CTL
If you remove the "slash" (/) in the first quote bracket, then your quote will show up as a quote. FYI ;)

Can do that with "modify" and then check the results with "preview"..  Hope that helps.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

whitepine2

CTL that is what the outside coating is for and in your case will be needed but on off road equipment not so important. It's just that folks see the coating damaged and get bent out of shape over it, I will admit I feel the same way and want to change out the hose but not relay necessary until
rust starts to appead.

BargeMonkey

A perfectly good hose that has the covering falling off and split will get us an MSHA violation measured in the thousands of dollars, I bet I've spent 3k with bailey hydraulic on the plastic hose wrap the last few yrs to cut down on worn hoses and still need to wrap a few more machines.  :D  Ive been sitting here tracking down hose and fittings, a fair amount of deals on ebay and amazon.

CTL logger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 01, 2015, 12:38:02 PM
A perfectly good hose that has the covering falling off and split will get us an MSHA violation measured in the thousands of dollars, I bet I've spent 3k with bailey hydraulic on the plastic hose wrap the last few yrs to cut down on worn hoses and still need to wrap a few more machines.  :D  Ive been sitting here tracking down hose and fittings, a fair amount of deals on ebay and amazon.
I've spent a considerable amount of money on hose wrap I've bought boxes of the plastic wrap kind it's a pain to put on but helps make the hoses last. On my processor on the main pressure and return line they are run through a nylon sleeve then plastic is wrapped around it. The return line lasted 4 years but I probably put 3 pressure lines on a year. I keep a main pressure line on hand at all times  you can wrap 2+ hrs in going to one of those hoses.

BargeMonkey

I use alot of the wrap, some of the hose cover and some of the wire, anything to cut back on hoses. Just scored a nice used Parker hose machine with dies up to 1-1/4 in good shape for dirt cheap money. Heading out to Kleis to look at that hooder 7000 they have sitting there, I'm sure that's going to need hoses, at least now I'm not going to pay thru the nose and lose 3-4hrs when I need a hose.

starmac

Got to love them hoses. I got to leave my truck in the hills tonight, because of a hose on the log loader. The loader went down soon after starting to load my truck this morning, so I got to sit there for the rest of the day and ride out with the crew leader. He just called and didn't have what he needed at the mill, so can't leave to head back out there till 8 in the mornin, get there at 10:30 or so, add in two or threee hours to get it back together and everything warmed up enough to start, means a long day for me tomorrow. SO as it turns out not only does their hose cost them, but cost me plenty too. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

timberlinetree

I kinda like the smell when they make them.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

North River Energy

Happy birthday, Timberline.

That smell is the smell of 'getting back to work'.  Or as we used to say while entering the nasty fog around the Rumford/Mexico mill, "the smell of jobs".

timberlinetree

Thanks NRE.  And kinda like my friends Monte Carlo when we lay down ruber ;D.  I ran into a guy with a 58 oliver industrial tractor. He said he still has a lot of the original hoses. Is that because he parks it undercover and does a every 5 yrs hydro fluid change or are the hoses made better back then or lower hyrdo psi on the old machines? Good luck bm with the hose machine.

BargeMonkey

Sunlight degrades hoses quick. Every 2 yrs we change all of the hoses on deck exposed to salt and light, the barges get eaten up, rolls of petro tape, wrap every fitting and they keep from rusting to bad. Im picking the machine up when I get home, I asked the guy how much they wanted for the cabinet and bench it was mounted too, he said they where going to probably throw it away.  :o.   I had my wife at the bank the next morning before the doors opened, I always find the deals when I'm stuck here.  :D

ScottAR

Timberline;  Probably all three reasons.   :)    Lack of sun and lower psi is probably the main ones but good maintenance never hurt anything either.   Changing the oil regular would keep some moisture out of the system.  My old backhoe has probably self changed by that time period though...   ::)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

North River Energy

Timberline,
I suspect rubber products are nowhere near as environmentally stable as they once were.
Older equipment tended to be high volume/ low pressure, which would put less internal stress on the hoses.

timberlinetree

Thanks it seem like environment and maintenance and psi are the reason for hose blowing. We don't put a ton of hours on our splitter but its like 15+ years old and never blew a hose.we keep it covered when not in use and change fluid ever so often. I worry sometimes when it's hot outside and the splitter is really hot and getting blasted by hot hydro fluid from a broken hose. The hoses from the outside look new. An I a worry wart?

BargeMonkey

Got off the boat in Albany and ran out to New Haven to pick it up, it barely fit in the wife's Subaru Legacy but I'm so cheap I didn't want to pay the tolls for a dually going out.  :D  works good, needed a switch.  Called today to the local supplier about more hose, they want to meet with me when I get home, want to set me up to be a parker dealer in our area.  :o  99% of the time I have the worst luck ever but lately I don't know.

timberlinetree

Nice! Glad u got it! I'm always stealing Marcia's car to get something. :D

xalexjx

Who do you get your crimp ends from? I have a weather head press and was getting them through napa but found out discount hyd hose is way cheaper and they're the same fittings, you'll like the conveinience of having your own crimper
Logging and Processed Firewood

Thank You Sponsors!