iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small mills for hire

Started by bwanger, February 11, 2016, 09:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanger

Hi. I'm new to this forum & joined to find information about hiring someone to cut some logs into boards for me. Is it ok to contact people from the map or is there a resource to find local sawmills? These logs are from a blown down walnut tree that was on my farm, I was going to cut it up into firewood but thought it might make some pretty woodworking projects. I have it cut up into six pieces that are about 4-5 feet long and 15 inch in diameter. It looks good to me but I was also wondering that since it blew over, does that mean it was weak in some way & wouldn't make good boards? I live in the troy, mo area by the way. Also have a cherry tree that is in the same situation. Thanks for any help & ideas.

sandsawmill14

no help on the sawing but welcome to the forum :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

There is a commerce section for a wanted ad, and agree to the terms of the forum. See the Home page.

Also, click your forum name and you will be where you can add your location to your profile. Helps to have an idea where in this world you are located. 

And welcome to the Forestry Forum.

If you just go out and try to contact members, you will fall into the "troll" category quickly. Don't need that. Tell us about your situation with a good introduction, and pull up a stump and sit awhile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Bwanger,

By all means contact your local sawmiller with your proposal and let's hope it is beneficial for both of you. Look under Extras in this forum, select Database and look up find a local sawyer. If nobody is close to you check with the sawmill sponsors to see if they have a list of sawyers with their mills. I know Woodmizer has a Pro-Sawyer network under their services tab where you can look for a local WM owner who saws for the public. The other sponsors may have similar referral networks.

Good on you for asking. Welcome to the FF.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

you are a bit too far for this job, but surely someone will chime in from up that way,, now if you loaded up and headed south I would do it for ya,  not a big fan of short logs but sawn a few like you have described, I like walnut and cherry very much worth saving that size,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bwanger

Thanks so far. I figured I'd have to load them & take them to whoever is cutting them. Does this website work good with android phones? I'm not seeing where to post my location or the Extras section. I had to register from my computer because my phone wouldnt let me.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bwanger.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: bwanger on February 11, 2016, 10:17:51 PM
Thanks so far. I figured I'd have to load them & take them to whoever is cutting them. Does this website work good with android phones? I'm not seeing where to post my location or the Extras section. I had to register from my computer because my phone wouldnt let me.

Not sure what view you are seeing. My extras Tab is on the top bar between Home and Login. Click Extras and the Finda Database shows up. Open that and select what and where you are looking. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

QuoteDoes this website work good with android phones? I'm not seeing where to post my location or the Extras section. I had to register from my computer because my phone wouldnt let me

By default Android will show a lighter version of the site optimised for a small cellphone screen and faster loading. It doesn't have all the features.

But at the bottom of the mobile site there should be a link that says "Go to Full Site". That will display the regular web page on your cellphone, which seems to work fine, within the limits of a small touch screen anyway.

Likewise on the full PC site, there is a link that says "Go to Mobile", so you can get back to the mobile version if you want.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bwanger

Just to make clear. These boards would be for my personal use. Im not trying to sell anything, just wanting to pay someone to cut them up for me.

bwanger

Ok. Thanks. Now I see the "go to full site" thing.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bwanger.  It always helps with questions if you will add your location to your profile.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

When searching in The find-a-database, I find it helpful to only search on the state. This way you get a complete list of everyone in the state who has signed up to be in the database. You can look quickly at the cities shown there to narrow down your search, and click on those you are interested in.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!