iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

** Trailer Log Arch **

Started by bags, July 02, 2016, 08:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bags

I built this log arch for my small trailer about a month ago. This off shoot of the DanG design here on forestryforum has made haul'in short loads of logs pretty much a pleasure--- DanG, I really like this thing.lol.

Its 2 1/2" square tube (6' above the pins) and the swivels are built from two spring tooth chisel mounts off a JD tool carrier that slide into the trailer stake pockets. Its operated by a 12,000 lbs winch by remote control that's attached to the front of the trailer.

Ljohnsaw

Very nice!  I made an arch and need to get a winch.  I'm wondering how strong of a winch I need to get.  I just have a single axle trailer (at the moment) with a 3,500# axle so I won't be getting big or a lot of logs per trip.  You've got a 12k winch - what are others using?  I'd really like to do a Kbietz rig with a gas engine and a lawn tractor tranny!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bags

I think a 5000# winch would be plenty of muscle for loading the size logs your talking about. If you hook onto something real heavy, the winch can be double lined (if your arch can handle the stress) with a snatch block on the top of the arch.

I'm using the 12,000# unit on that light trailer because I also use it on my other equipment. The winch has a receiver tube welded to the mount plate so I can pin it on my 10 ton trailer, tractor or the rear hitch of either of the two 4 X4 pickups I use when gathering timber.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: bags on July 03, 2016, 08:38:23 AM
I think a 5000# winch would be plenty of muscle for loading the size logs your talking about. If you hook onto something real heavy, the winch can be double lined (if your arch can handle the stress) with a snatch block on the top of the arch.
I think my arch can handle extra weight...  I picked up some 4" fire sprinkler pipe.  Not super thick wall, but the shape gives it strength.  The pieces were 8' long, so my arch is pretty tall!  Not pretty welds, but good penetration.

Bottom bracket:

Top bracket/hooks:

Corner welds:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!