iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roasting Chestnuts

Started by Sawyerfortyish, November 16, 2005, 07:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Been picking up the chestnuts around dads tree and was wondering if anybody knows how to cook em  :-\. I did this last year but left em lay around to long and all of nuts had a worm in them. This year I just threw them in a bag in the freezer to keep them. Wonder if they go with Grits :-\?

beenthere

Quote from: Sawyerfortyish on November 16, 2005, 07:47:09 PM
Been picking up the chestnuts around dads tree and was wondering if anybody knows how to cook em  :-\. I did this last year but left em lay around to long and all of nuts had a worm in them. This year I just threw them in a bag in the freezer to keep them. Wonder if they go with stuff that probably would go well with spam :-\?

The worm? or the nut?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Not to sure how to roast the worms, I suspect those are best raw when you are REAL hungry ;D The nuts I used to roast as a kid.  First off make sure the are the edible kind :-\ Some of the ornimental Chestnuts are not edible.  Any way we used to put them in an old mesh pop corn poper and hold them over a low wood fire for 20 min or so until the husk would crack.
Pretty tasty stuff ;D
Gosh haven't don that in years, thanks for the good idea ;D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Modat22

It can't be stated enough. "Make sure they are the edible kind first."

The worms are best cooked in corn bread.
remember man that thy are dust.

getoverit

I dont know why, but this reminds me of a story of a guy that had a parrot named "Chet" that sang songs....

when you held a match under the parrot, he immediately busted out singing....... get ready.....

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.......
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Sawyerfortyish

Ya know with that bird flu and mad cow diease ya have to look at other types of meat ta eat ::)

Thank You Sponsors!