iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Stihl to replace a Pro Mac 610

Started by hms79, April 10, 2024, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hms79

Hey to all, and thanks for any responses:
I'm afraid the time has come to replace my inherited Pro Mac 610 McCulloch saw. It's getting harder and harder to start, and starting to feel heavier and heavier. I have a small Stihl MS 170 that I use for little stuff, but I'm wanting a saw that is comparable power wise to the old Pro Mac 610. What would everyone recommend? 
3 McCulloch Pro Mac 610s, Pro Mac 55, Stihl MS 170, Stihl 028 WB

Al_Smith

About any 60 cc saw regardless  of brand would or should work .However if buying new prepair yourself for sticker shock .
Now then the old 610 Mac .It has enough power and cut speed but for 60 cc's is heavy .I have three of them that usually sit on the shelf so they should last forever .
I don't own anything that is new .As far as Stihl an 034-036 or whatever model that is now would be a good choice .

hms79

Yeah, as far as the price, any thing at 60cc has scared me. I was looking at the MS 271, but it's 10cc smaller, at 50. Originally I was hung up on bar lengths instead of engine displacement.

lxskllr

An echo 590 would be a nice saw at a nice price. If it must be Stihl, I'd go for the ms400. It's like the 362, but greater in every respect, including price, but not so much more when prorated over the saw's lifetime.

Hilltop366

You might find some new 50cc saws will keep up or almost keep up with an older 60cc one....it sure would be a lot lighter and a bit less$$.  All depending on what size trees you are cutting if the smaller saw / shorter bar will suit your needs.

hms79

Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 10, 2024, 01:21:05 PMYou might find some new 50cc saws will keep up or almost keep up with an older 60cc one....it sure would be a lot lighter and a bit less$$.  All depending on what size trees you are cutting if the smaller saw / shorter bar will suit your needs.
Dad used the Pro Mac's for cutting our firewood, as we had a wood burning stove when I was growing up. I am currently in the home market, and would love to have that or an outside wood burning furnace, so I'm looking for something I can cut firewood with. I have been looking at the Stihl Wood Boss and Farm Boss saws. The MS 271 is the newer Farm Boss, and forgive me if I have forgotten the number of the Wood Boss. If those two would cut like the old Pro Mac, especially the Wood Boss, I'd be tickled. I'm just not sure if they can.

ehp

Stihl ms 261 is a very good saw , if you need bigger than go with the ms400 or ms 462 

ladylake

Quote from: hms79 on April 10, 2024, 01:48:05 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 10, 2024, 01:21:05 PMYou might find some new 50cc saws will keep up or almost keep up with an older 60cc one....it sure would be a lot lighter and a bit less$$.  All depending on what size trees you are cutting if the smaller saw / shorter bar will suit your needs.
Dad used the Pro Mac's for cutting our firewood, as we had a wood burning stove when I was growing up. I am currently in the home market, and would love to have that or an outside wood burning furnace, so I'm looking for something I can cut firewood with. I have been looking at the Stihl Wood Boss and Farm Boss saws. The MS 271 is the newer Farm Boss, and forgive me if I have forgotten the number of the Wood Boss. If those two would cut like the old Pro Mac, especially the Wood Boss, I'd be tickled. I'm just not sure if they can.

If you get a Stihl get a pro model, the lower level ones are heavy and underpowered.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Stihl MS261. If you keep the chain sharp, it will cut like the Pro Mac all day long. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

I have no experience with the pro mac or 271, but I do with a 291 with 20" bar.  It was underpowered and I sold it and bought an Ms 362 with 20" bar.  That is a great combination.  I also have an MS261 with 18" bar and that is also a great combination.  The 291 with 18" bar may be an ok combination, but still not the power to weight ratio of the pro saws.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

I don't know the models, but I use a 50cc for my OWB. I cut trees at times 18 inches through. Yes, my 70cc would do it quicker, but that 70cc wears me out quicker too.  :wacky:
I use the small saw much more then the big one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

I use to carry a 261 on the skidder as a second saw just incase I needed it , ran 20 inch bar and 3/8's chisel chain . I cut trees 22 to around 40 inches in diameter  any time I needed to . You will be surprised at how fast a small saw like that can cut when its sharp, , I'm not a 362 fan so if it was me I would go start to the ms400 if the 261 is not big enough for you or the ms462 and that saw will pretty much cut anything out there 

Magicman

My MS261 @50cc, is still less than a year old, but it certainly is a joy to run.  The MS362 is always there waiting if/when it is needed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

what are you using the saw for?  I use my 261 and my old 046 mag most of the time.  I use them for firewood and trimming at the sawmill.  the pro-saws have parts and cases designed to last and tolerate hard use.  home saws have plastic covers and tensioners ect.  my 046 is 30 years old with lots of hours and was the only saw I owned for many of those years.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

I would stay in Stihl's pro line saws. As I am getting older my 261 is more and more my go to saw. I think a 261 should do any thing the pro mac did and much lighter. I have cut up a lot of hard wood with the 261 and its holding up nicely. I have liked it so well I bought another in Dec. I have a 461 and a 660 when I need bigger saws but they spend more time in the saw trailer now days. 

Gary Davis

I like my 500I light ,easy to start and ffcoolplenty of power.

Thank You Sponsors!