iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Laptop

Started by WH_Conley, September 15, 2011, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Life was simpler when all of this training wasn't needed.   :-\

I'm gradually getting it tweaked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I solved my printer problem.  My D-Link wireless print router and Windows 7 were not friends and no drivers were available.  I also discovered that many of today's printers are wireless.

The HP PHOTOSmart Plus that I got had many poor reviews, but they were from folks complaining about the initial ink cartridges depleting quickly and also folks complaining about the availability of software to allow the printer to be accessed by an I-Phone, etc.  A little reading will inform you that the initial ink cartridges are filled with a different formula ink, and yes, a limited amount.  That, plus selling you ink cartridges is where the $$$ are.

Anyway, the installation went absolutely flawlessly.  I first removed all traces of HP printers from both laptops, and then simply followed the onscreen prompts.  It was like, well, Magic !!!

Now, if I can figure out how to keep the touch pad from resizing my pages.  I can "Ctrl" scroll and fix it back, but I didn't want it to change.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Ink cartridges seemed to have jumped about $10 in price since last year. It's quite a racket.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Yes, it is quite the racket.  :-\

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2011, 01:49:44 PM
Now, if I can figure out how to keep the touch pad from resizing my pages.  I can "Ctrl" scroll and fix it back, but I didn't want it to change.  

I think that I found it again.  I had turned the "Multi-Fingers Gesture" OFF, but I guess that I did not  click "Apply".  I applied it this time, so maybe the screen will stay the size that I want it.

I actually have copied my Firefox Bookmarks on the old laptop to a disc.  Now to figure out how to copy them from the disc to this new Laptop.  "Import" should be the place, but so far not.

Warbird

You should be able to do it from the "Organize Bookmarks" within Firefox.  If it won't read from the DVD drive, then copy the HTML file you exported your bookmarks to, to you desktop.  Then import from there.

WDH

We got a new printer yesterday.  One key point in my research on which one to buy was the cost of printer cartridges.  One that I was looking at had 5 ink cartridges.  Replacing the cartridges one time was as much as the cost of the printer.

I have to say, though, the wireless printing thing is pretty cool.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I'm just going in circles with the bookmarks.  I know for positive that they are on the disc.  I can open the file and click on and open different bookmarked items.

I created a new Desktop folder, named it "bookmarks", and copied the bookmarks to it.  It is now an html file.   I can double click that folder and open my index of bookmarks from there.

From there, I'm just going in circles.  I click "Import Bookmarks from HTML.  That carries me to my folder containing bookmarks.  I click the bookmark folder, it fills the "file name" box with bookmarks.html.  Now when I click "Open", the Import Bookmarks File window disappears and I am back to where I started.  As I said, I'm missing something and just going in circles.

Magicman

OK, where is the idiot "Smilie Face"  ???   I thought about it last night after I went to bed.  When I thought it was taking me in circles, it was actually copying my bookmarks.

At least it is obedient.  It copied them every time I clicked OK, 5 times !!!   :D :D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We've gotta laugh at ourselves and I do not mind sharing my goofs with others because someone else may benefit.  I have all of the extra bookmarks deleted, plus cleaning up my list.   :)

Transferring Word & Works files are next.  Pictures will be last.

Thankfully, I'm working with an old laptop that still works/boots up.  Windows 7 and the newer version of Firefox have thrown me a few extra curves, but I am gradually learning.

The suggestions that some of you guys have made have been priceless.  Thanks.

DouginUtah

One of the best tricks to using Windows 7 is to create a shortcut on your desktop (right-click on the desktop) and call it "All Tasks".

The target is "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}".

This makes it much easier to do things--sort of like using the Control Panel but easier to find the task.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

mometal77

Like many said use toshiba and costco has a good return policy.  One thing I will use from now on is the american express card as much as i dislike the buggers and bank of america but they give another year on a warranty purchase after the labtop's warranty expires.  Walmart friends of mine have had issues with them in the past on returns.  And ebay i tried buying a labtop from a girl out of seattle a few months ago for an old fishing buddy and the screen was blank she deleted all the start up programs and the right side plug in adapter was broken.  Thank god for pay pal. But it took a month to get the money back.  Cheaper to buy new.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Magicman

I have finally gotten comfortable with this new Dell and Windows 7.  I still have some files to move and some I'll have to rebuild but at least I'm getting there.

I have not tackled my two spreadsheets yet.  The big one is my "Farm Account" and the farm owns the sawmill.   :-\  I'm going to finish the year on the old laptop and then set up next year's on this new one.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Norm on September 16, 2011, 07:09:30 AM
Sony Vaio is the best short of a mac air which is too much money for what you get. I made the mistake of getting a laptop with a 17" screen and hate it, just too big for me.

Feature for feature Mac book air is very good value for the money and is one of the most reliable of that class of computer.

I had 5 sony Vaios at one point and all but one of them were a pain in the back side. 3 of them were in the sony service centre more then we used them and 2 of them never did work properly at all. We finally pitched em just less then 2 years after we bought em and went with Mac Books. Best thing we ever did in term of computers. Over all cost of computers has dropped by darn close to 50% since we switched and most of that has been software license cost. Leopard runs Microsoft office better then windows does too.

I never had a laptop last 4 years before and right now I have 4 of 6 that are 3 months into year 5 and going strong. All Mac books! Only have one PC left for a server and it is not running windows software either.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

I've got one Toshiba here, soon to be 12 years old and the other one is about 6 years old. The old one is in a drawer, but everything works like out of the box. The only thing is XP is slow on it, it was a Windows ME computer, it's only 660 mhz. I bought both at Staples and they have always worked, never needed warrantee work.

At the office and at my brother's house, they had Acers from Radio Shack, nothing but pieces of junk. They would just go black and seize, not even 6 months old.