iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Quote from: loghorse on March 16, 2020, 12:13:57 AM
canadian snowbirds down here. they were notified by their health insurance company that they have 5 days to come back across border,or insurance is canceled. for you that don't know ,when they come down they must buy a policy(don't know can or us)of health ins while they are down here.
The insurance is through a Canadian carrier and insurance generally covers what the government approves as far as any medicine if needed. There are various carriers. Blue Cross is one and might even get insurance through your charge card (bank). It isn't required to have any, but is advised. My folks knew some couples that never had any. If you have a preexisting, even something like diabetes, the premium is more expensive. They only want to insure healthy people. :D

Here is a link to one carrier to see what they offer. Just a random selection off Google.
Basic and Enhanced Coverage Options - RBC Royal Bank

I knew one old guy from town with bad heart, he never got insurance and travelled down to Fl every winter. He never got ill down there, but was just lucky. Some people think they are getting away with something until they actually need it, then they're Edited by Admin.  Then it's no longer something to tell their buddies about what they saved themselves. And nothing to laugh about. It's on the news all the time about those that got bit.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

Been following the numbers and the information and ignoring the noise as best as possible.  Something just doesn't seem right about the extensive reaction to all this.  Not sure if it's right or wrong or over-cooked, but something just doesn't feel right.  I am awaiting further developments.

The Forestry Forum is providing some interesting insights and a sense of normalcy.  Good.
HM126

YellowHammer

Looking at the John Hopkins website, the world infection rate (besides China) is now going exponential and has been so for the last few days.  Seen in the map in the lower right hand corner when its window is expanded.  

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center.

NASA, here in Huntsville, is teleworking for the next 2 weeks. My wife works there, and is home working from her computer.  Some of the Army civilian side of Redstone Arsenal is doing a "practice dry run" telework day Tuesday.  They need to do this to make sure their computers, servers and such can handle the user load.  Huntsville, Restone Arsenal, among other things, is the center of the Army Research, Development and Engineering Center, where I used to work.      
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Raider Bill

Normally the Canadians leave here [Florida] the week after easter.
They are packing up now and hitting the road north in droves.
Little diner I go to was just about deserted this morning.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Southside

I am no economic expert, but reading the tea leaves I think the stage is being set for the fallout.  The FED going to zero or possibly even negative rates, coupled with the banks announcing they are not buying back stocks, will likely result in them being injected with cash to off set the coming lack of debt service / cash flow.  Lessons learned from 2008? The question is, will there be a government mandated grace period intervention on debt service to help reduce cascading losses at the consumer level?  With state level closing of private businesses already - restaurant services, etc the damage is being done.  If there is a nationwide shutdown of movement, work, etc then the only way we prevent another depression will be through a debt service deferment given that we live in a just in time, check to check, credit driven world today. 

The reaction does appear to be way overblown to the stated problem.  The question is why?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

A REMINDER:  This thread is intended as a sharing of information and facts only.  To those posting opinions and political discussions, their posts will be deleted. 
Say when

doc henderson

thanks Roxie.  this is a world wide pandemic.  I think we are doing a great job.  there is not treatment, we have to try to not get it, and if we do, we try to survive it.  We have several military Docs who work part time.  just got the call they are restricted to within 70 miles of base.  so just redid the schedule.  I was off most of the week, now I am on this week.  The world is full of lots of different personalities and ways of dealing with stress.  Some of us have done disaster training for the past 20 years.  So it is the old, "the greatest thing we must fear, is fear itself!"  I work tonight, and I am not afraid to go to work.  It is better to over react, and not much happens, than to be complacent and have everyone sick including healthcare professionals.  Lets all follow the recommendations, and be an example to our children, friends and neighbors.  ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

New Brunswick has set up an 811 Tele-care service line, which must be called if anyone needs to proceed to a testing site. And the service has been upgraded because of the influx of calls and long wait times on the line. Also additional test sites are being arranged. They said they are getting a lot of calls from people asking about the service and not actually needing to call, wasting a lot of time on the system.

1 confirmed case, 4 others presumed, in New Brunswick.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

My observation of panic buying is tempered by me (factual!!!) knowing we are are seeing lots of people shop in a supermarket that didn't do so (very much) prior to their becoming nervous about food & being sort of stranded at home with kids, etc..
I'm not defending stupid hoarding, panic buying at all, but the shear number of people in our society who eat out and often is immense!

Our KY governor closed all KY restaurants this a.m., other than take out. plug that into a eat out society and see what you get?
Tip jobs now at home with kids.

I watched a lady doc on TV (BTW, much cuter than doc henderson :D) last nite's news, she went thru her protocol when asked what she does as treatment. She looks for the basic flu symptoms, then, if they're present she administers a cheap, quick, regular flu test kit, 10 mins later if that comes back positive she sends them home for normal flu care. If negative she does the crown virus nasal swab and goes from there based on the persons health.

I personally am 76, have chronic seasonal allergies(pollens have started in KY,yuk! but I do love spring) so I have two or more of the three crown symptoms much of my days, spring & fall, (I wheeze at times, dry, burning eyes/wet eyes, cough some, runny/drippy nose sometimes)  but not the fever, thank God and knock on wood! No shortness of breath.
I am diagnosed as "Borderline Asthma with chronic seasonal allergies", mostly pollens, molds, and dust. Hello woodworking shop & sawmill... 8)
I self-inject a weekly allergy serum and use a steroid and mild antihistamine nasal sprays with netty pot.  FWIW, it your sawing wood you should own a netty pot!

Kind of an open question- I have wondered if my local hospitals have enough ventilators for those requiring hospital care? Not that I'm a worry wart. My area we either opt for local rural clinic with no hospital beds, or next up a small local hospital with limited intensive care, or go to city and the big ones but also lots of population competition in a pandemic. Something of a personal healthcare choice is sometimes called for from our past experiences. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

start local.  they will know how to escalate up if needed.  we have a limited number of ventilators but also have some in reserve, used for transport ext.  I cut my teeth on the old MA1 and MA2s.  I am sure we have some in the basement, but the young RTs may not have ran one.  all analog.  In an all out disaster we will do the best we can.  If it is that bad that all beds and machines are in use ( not there and not too worried) then there will be no transfers as most or all other facilities will be in the same shape.  this is why mitigation/containment is helpful.  spread out the cases and reduce total number.  100 years ago, both communication and travel were much less and slower.  so now you can log on and see second by second updates.  People of average means do cruises and overseas trips.  "it's a small world after all!"  and getting smaller.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: kantuckid on March 16, 2020, 01:18:07 PMKind of an open question- I have wondered if my local hospitals have enough ventilators for those requiring hospital care?

That would be the main reason for "slowing down" the spread. If 50% of the population get sick next week, and 10% of them need hospital care, the hospitals wont cope. (Especially if they are down 50% of their staff) . If 50% of the population get sick over the next 6 month, maybe only 1% will need hospital care at any particular time, and so they don't get swamped. 

Also relates to shops / factories / food distribution / emergency services.  The rush on supplies isn't actually that bad if they get fresh stocks in tomorrow.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

they are now saying it may be July or August before this is over.  no one really knows.  that is the down side of slowing it down.  but I agree, then the hospital systems can keep up.  

47sawdust

I would like to thank Doc and Ianab for levelheaded,factual and personal input.This bears paying attention to, if we don't our health support system will be taxed beyond capacity and we will have big problems.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Autocar

Has said anything so I figured I would throw my two cents in. This virus i am afraid it will be a tumble effect and the wood industry will take a hit as everything else starts to slow down.Here in Ohio schools closed resturants and bars closed. Went to town this morning and had to go to the drive thur to do some banking because there not letting anyone inside. Went on to Walmart to get some bread and eggs and they had a sign up only two loaves of bread and they normanaly have a million cartons of eggs I believe there were eight cartons of eggs and the were the high price ones. President this afternoon said maybe in July this will be over. Be interesting to see where we our by then.
Bill

Jeff

There are enough topics on the virus. This is being merged.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brianJ

Which people are projected to need ventilators?  Am I correct to assume it is those with multiple risk factors and to a lessor extent those with a single risk factor and for a very few those with a partial  risk factor?       

SwampDonkey

Service New Brunswick offices closed across the province until Monday March, 23.

SwampDonkey

The borders are shut down to most non-citizens of Canada today. And if you have signs of a virus you will not be allowed to board a plane for Canada. And anyone returning has to self isolate 14 days.

Canada shutting the border to most non-citizens due to COVID-19: PM Trudeau | CTV News

doc henderson

so ARDS can happen to anyone for a number of reasons.  it is often secondary to inflammation from and infection, meaning your own immune system caused damage in the process of fighting the infection.  the lung membranes thicken due to the inflammation and fluid.  It looks like pulmonary edema, but not from heart failure (chf).  The treatments are non specific and include supporting ventilation with a machine if needed.  The older or more chronically ill you are, the more likely you may need this help, but there are no rules.  You would not go on a vent willie nillie, it would be a gradual worsening of your respiratory status until it is deemed you need the support.  A person on a vent. is heavily sedated and often to the point of general anesthesia and chemically induced paralyses.  this is why it is in an ICU.  might be only a few days depending on the course of the disease.  The majority who test + have little or no symptoms and stay home.  of the people that need admitted, a small portion go to ICU, and a percentage of these may require support from a machine.

Brucer

Proper hand washing is probably the biggest single factor that will keep you well. Everyone know how to wash their hands, right? Well do a quick self check. Here's two different recommendations from Canadian health professionals.

From the Public Health Agency of Canada:
QuoteStep 1: Wet hands with warm water.
Step 2: Apply soap.
Step 3: Wash hands for at least 20 seconds (including your palms, back of each hand, between fingers, thumbs and under nails).
Step 4: Rinse well.
Step 5: Dry hands well with paper towel.
Step 6: Turn off tap using paper towel.

Ianab posted a version of this next one in the restricted topics. I figured it would be useful to bring it out where everyone can see it. This is the original --

From Dr. Bonnie Henry, BC Provincial Health Officer
QuoteWash your hands  "like you've been chopping jalapenos and need to change your contacts".

With so much hand washing I've found my hands getting dry and chapped, so I've bought a modest supply of a generic skin cream.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

I am thinking about redoing my profile. I don't want others to know I have a 6 foot chest freezer full of meat, bread, veggies, flour.  :D I went into a grocery store and flour was almost sold out. I thought most never even knew what to do with flour. So that's a good sign.
I am not all that worried about getting sick. But I am kinda worried about other people getting desperate. I don't want to get into a fight over a pound of pork chops.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

so at work.  the only thing I am doing different, is when I put my stethoscope on someone's chest, they tend to look at me, and I am asking them to look the other way, so they do not cough or exhale in my face.  If they have a fever I would wear a mask and have them in a mask.

Ianab

Quote from: Brucer on March 16, 2020, 07:57:39 PMIanab posted a version of this next one in the restricted topics. I figured it would be useful to bring it out where everyone can see it. This is the original -- From Dr. Bonnie Henry, BC Provincial Health Officer Quote Wash your hands  "like you've been chopping jalapenos and need to change your contacts".

I think mine went along the lines of "Like you have been chopping Ghost Chillies and need to go to the toilet" :D
That's roughly 100X worse.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DMcCoy

Quote from: doc henderson on March 16, 2020, 08:47:26 PM
so at work.  the only thing I am doing different, is when I put my stethoscope on someone's chest, they tend to look at me, and I am asking them to look the other way, so they do not cough or exhale in my face.  If they have a fever I would wear a mask and have them in a mask.
I sincerely hope this is good enough protection, we need all you guys healthy!

DMcCoy

San Francisco - shelter in place (at home ) for 3 weeks.  Only essential travel is allowed.  7 million people affected.

Thank You Sponsors!