iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I have heard a lot of stories about the Malaria drugs that seem to be effective with the corona virus but I've seen no data till now. Attached are two videos with the first including actual results from the French study and the second video a discussion of the results by a NY Doctor.

Ingraham: A dose of reality

Dr. William Grace
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doc henderson

that doc is right on, from what I saw.   I just got home and the big stores Wal-Mart, and Dillons (Krogers)  parking lots are full.  WM is now closed overnight to clean and restock, and decrease time with employees in contact with customers.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

SD, I listened to an hour long podcast with Dr. Osterholm the other day, it was very insightful.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 21, 2020, 04:14:09 PM
SD, I listened to an hour long podcast with Dr. Osterholm the other day, it was very insightful.
Did you see the podcast a few days ago I posted from Joe Rogan's site? That one is 1-1/2 hrs long, but the same message I'm sure.

NY numbers have jumped another 3200 cases today.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We have 6 more cases here today, 17 total. 4 were persons returning from cruises and others in contact. No one has been hospitalized in all those cases, yet.

N.B. COVID-19 roundup: 6 new presumptive cases brings province's total to 17 | CBC News

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: Gary_C on March 21, 2020, 07:38:11 AMI have heard a lot of stories about the Malaria drugs that seem to be effective with the corona virus but I've seen no data till now.

This is actively being tested in Australia and NZ right now. The issue is that there is no certain data on how effective the drugs actually are. Simply giving it to some patients, and they get better isn't hard evidence, maybe they would have got better anyway? 

But initial results from trial treatments in Sydney were encouraging, (the patients got better quicker than expected etc) hence trying it on more people, and comparing it with other potential treatments. 

QuoteIf patients or their family provide consent, they would be randomly allocated to treatment with hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria medicine, or with Kaletra, an anti-HIV medicine, or with a combination of both hydroxychloroquine and Kaletra, or with a placebo.

"Neither the patients, nor their family, nor the medical team caring for the patients, will know which of the four possible treatments the patients are receiving," Thomas said.

"It is what is called a double-blind study, which allows the effects, potentially beneficial, or harmful, to be evaluated without any bias affecting the evaluation of the effect of each treatment on patients' 
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12318588
Also the reason to try and slow the spread. In coming weeks there should be some preliminary results from those tests, and if they are good, then the drugs already exist. More can be made, and Drs will then at least have a useful treatment, even if it not a 100% cure. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

SD, it was the same one👍 Someone at work finally got me to listen to it😁
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Looks like close to 90% recovery rate already in China, 4 % death rate.

3265 deaths, 81394 cases

sprucebunny

Here is a website where you can click on the different US states and see a prediction for the effect of implementing different mitigation/containment strategies by date of action.
If your state's leaders are watching this, it might give you an idea of when to be prepared to stay home for an extended time.

Coronavirus Act Now

I don't know who is responsible for the website or how accurate it is. Thier modeling may be geared more towards urban settings than rural, for instance.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Stanford University and some software engineers and web site builders I think.

doc henderson

We have a great advantage.  they were caught off guard, and we have the benefit of all that has been learned so far.  We also have citizens that have easy access to health care.  so far so good.  Everyone stay safe and strong!  8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

NZ has just gone into a full lockdown. 

All schools and "non-essential" businesses closed. Schools are closed for a minimum of 4 weeks.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brian_Rhoad

Over 4964 people in PA have tested negative and 479 positive. That's less than 10% positive test results. Looks like a lot of people being tested who shouldn't be. We have 4 deaths reported for the state. 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on March 23, 2020, 12:01:21 AMLooks like a lot of people being tested who shouldn't be.

Maybe they were testing the health care workers and found them to be negative?  (a good thing)

If there were an unlimited supply of test, I would think testing heath care workers would be done on a daily basis since they are so exposed and would be a serious vector.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Lots of people will be presenting with a regular cough / cold / flu. So they get tested to make sure, and if even 10% are showing up Covid19, then that's a significant number. 

It's still a good thing if the Doc can tell them, it's just a cough, don't worry. OR, "Isolate yourself until you feel better, go to hospital if it gets bad" etc.  

Test results here are returning maybe 1 in 100 positive, and that's kicked in a full lockdown. If one in 10 are positive, then I suspect it's already out of control. 

doc henderson

It is thought we should be testing front line folks about twice a week. there are not enough test kits.  remember this virus was unknown 3 to 4 months ago.  so having a rapid test is having done the impossible.  It normally takes years to develop.  We have a fair amount of the medications but not enough to treat everyone. so we will use what we have to treat the sickest people.  The real damage is done by you own immune system in the process causing ARDS, and that is not treated by the anti malarial or antibiotic.  Part of the reason Docs are skeptical, is because it is also unheard of the a drug designed for a bacteria or other microbes could just conveniently also treat a virus. We are generally not that lucky.  think too good to be true.  so as the production of the testing (rapid test) and more hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax increases, we will go from screening just to quarantine, to treating..  This time we are given from all these quarantine measures allows us to be better diagnosed and treated.  Be safe and kind, fearless and strong!

Nebraska

SwampDonkey

Nova Scotia is getting even tougher on non compliance.

"Police will be authorized to enforce orders under the Health Protection Act. If Nova Scotians and businesses do not practice social distancing and self-isolation, they will face fines of $1,000 for individuals and $7,500 for businesses. Multiple fines can be given each day an individual or business fails to comply. Police can also enforce offences under the Emergency Management Act. For example, fines for charging higher than fair market prices for goods and services."

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200322001

LeeB

Quote from: doc henderson on March 23, 2020, 07:14:18 AMso as the production of the testing (rapid test)

What is the test being used in South Korea and why aren't we using it here?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

I do not have the direct answer.  many things go faster in countries with less regulation (law suits)  ect.  And supplies are directed to the areas of most need.  we are getting a rapid test via a lab company, and we have to get a machine out of the basement and dust it off to run the cassette developed by this company.  next week.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on March 23, 2020, 07:14:18 AM
  Be safe and kind, fearless and strong!
country concepts, some how from the  news media the urban areas have lost some of these characteristics. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

If you notice today, John Hopkins' COVID-19 map is now showing all US towns and cities with cases on their map.

World cases have grown over 120,000 in 3 days.

More test sites are being set up across each province in Canada.

Prime Minister Trudeau says universities and other research facilities across the country are getting extra funding for vaccine research and development. Adds meant to inform the public are increasing in number about COVID-19. Hotline and random inspections may come if people do not comply, some provinces have already put measures in place including self isolation of travellers from outside their home province. This may include jail time for people travelling within our borders and ignoring orders. The Federal Emergencies Act has not yet been invoked.

Tonight the provincial premiers discuss by teleconference with the prime minister about invoking the federal Emergencies Act. The prime minister said, "One of the key elements of the Emergencies Act is that it is an override over the provinces. It takes powers that normally are only in the hands of the provinces, or even municipalities, and puts them in the federal level."

gspren

Picking up the Mail? Here on the farm it's easy to stay away from people but I do get the mail everyday at the end of our 1,200 ft driveway, probably not contaminated yet but what is proper? Up until today I just got it and didn't give it a thought but after hearing about taking precautions with packages I thought about our mail and today I used a plastic grocery bag turned inside out on my hand to open/remove mail/close the box then used my other hand to turn the bag right again with the mail inside. For now the mail is hanging in the garage untouched and by what I've heard it should be safe in a day or two. Any better ideas?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

you could wear gloves and or give it a misting of a chlorine or alcohol based cleaner.  although you might bleach your address or something.  I guess tearing it open could aerosolize stuff if it were in large volumes on the surface.  but that is prob. very unlikely.  we have not changed or mail habits as a result of the virus.  good to think about.  it needs to contact a mucus membrane, so good handwashing after opening the mail.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!