iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

so you can get tested any time, but you are correct in that it takes a minimum amount of material to make the test positive.  The test is not perfect and the antigen test still is thought to have a high (30%) false negative rate but it is all we have.  viruses like many things in nature reproduce in an exponential way.  there is also an incubation period.  a virus has to enter one of your cells, and incorporate its dna/rna into the cellular equipment.  viruses are not considered a live organism.  then the cell starts making components for new viruses, and these take over more cells.  It is almost like cancer in that it takes normal cells and disrupts normal function, and the abnormal cells begin rapid growth and replication (tumor).  As the viral load increases, you also become more infectious.  so even if you got exposed and have one viral packet in your nose, and are tested, you are prob. not that infectious.  and will be negative.  as the load increases you will be more likely to test positive, are more infectious, and may be totally asymptomatic.
the antibody test is looking for immunity, that implies you have had the virus in the past.  If you want to know, most places that take blood donations, are testing for the antibody.  If you are positive, you may be asked to donate plasma, to help other who are sick with the virus.  most testing for exposure is monitored/administrated by you county health department.  We can order the test in the hospital, and the clinic has a building set up as a respiratory clinic.  some Walmart and Walgreen pharmacies are offering the testing.  We have access to a rapid test, but it has not been vetted by the FDA.  If the test is positive, we believe you have it.  if negative, who knows.  If you are really sick, and it looks like covid, we will treat you even if you test negative.  We really do not have a standard treatment for people who test positive, but are asymptomatic.  Some docs are prescribing un proven treatments, but can get in trouble for that.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

We found out earlier this week that my Daddy needed to have a negative test for him to be able to receive dialysis at another clinic.  My folks planned to leave for Franklin NC this afternoon.  My mother tried to find somewhere to get a test locally and all were booked.  My daughters found an open slot for a test at a drug store but results would take between two and four days.  Today is day four and we have not gotten any results yet.  I suspect there are a lot more cases than are being reported locally due to a lot of folks not getting tested who are ill.

Caveman

doc henderson

caveman, can you check with the new dialysis center to see if they can facilitate the test.  or call the hospital lab, and may need a doctors order.  we can get a limited number back in about 1 to 3 hours if needed.  all nursing facilities are feeling liable after all the nursing home deaths.  good luck.  can he still go to his old center until he is cleared?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

Doc, he can continue to go to the center here in town but to go to another he has to have a negative covid test.  The social worker assigned to him at the clinic failed to let my mom know even though she gave about six weeks notice.  Anyway, when it comes back, I will haul the circus up there in a trailer (power wheel chair, shower bench, other wheel chairs, chain saws - always tree trimming needed, and other ancillary items).  My wife and daughters took vacation this week.  Daughters went ahead but my wife and I are waiting for his clearance to go (my mother does most of his caretaking but I give baths, take him to dialysis, brush his teeth, put him to bed, take him on a daily walk/roll and assist in #2 cleanups).

I would hate to drive nine hours to Franklin and try to get a test when he needs dialysis.  There is always plenty to do here to stay busy but getting the crew out of town is always a welcome diversion this time of year.

Just getting a test this week was a challenge here.  His doctor's nurse was working on finding one, as was my mother but my daughters are resourceful and got one scheduled.

I appreciate you (Doc) and the other knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread.  It seems that the politics of Covid 19 have gone viral, which may end up being detrimental.
Caveman

doc henderson

quote, 
"It seems that the politics of Covid 19 have gone viral"

No pun intended, I am sure!  :)  Your dad is fortunate to have a son who cares and is willing to help to that degree!  God bless!

YellowHammer

Quote from: caveman on July 04, 2020, 04:05:56 PM
I appreciate you (Doc) and the other knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread.  
I believe this bears restating.  
@doc henderson 
THANK YOU and others for the expert input.  Its good to get the straight answers without all the hype.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

@YellowHammer .  you bet.  i feel like i am not always answering your questions, but am trying to stick with what we "think" we know.  lots of politics, and people who want to follow the conspiracy stuff, or the latest info that is interesting, but not helpful.   i like the saying, "the more you know, the more you know how little you know!"   :P   ;)   :)   :D   8)  God bless America!

samandothers

Quote from: doc henderson on July 04, 2020, 04:22:38 PM
quote,
"It seems that the politics of Covid 19 have gone viral"

No pun intended, I am sure!  :)  Your dad is fortunate to have a son who cares and is willing to help to that degree!  God bless!
Amen!  Your a good son!
Pretty place Franklin!  Been there and surrounding area quite a bit in the past.  Use to go to the Great Smokey Mountain RR in Dillsboro with the kids for the Christmas train.  Worked quite a few winter storms in that area too!

Sedgehammer

My daughters hospital just opened up an entirely new campus that was setting idle just for this. Their main location is expected to be full yesterday. 
On another note wife was exposed a second time last week. Just found out Monday. Mom and 2 kids had it. 
It appears Hydroxychloroquine does help if given early enough. Henry Ford Health system did a review of 2,541 patients across 6 hospitals and compared death rates against those who didn't get treated with it. 26% of those admitted to the hospital died that weren't treated with it and 13% died that were treated with it. No heart related issues were noted.
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

yes lots of studies coming out.  half show no difference in the death rate, and others do.  I hope it helps.  need reproducible results.  takes time.  but I agree prob. some benefit if given early.  some good studies however show no benefit.  need to figure out the reason.

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on July 03, 2020, 05:34:59 PM
Our local vet (only one in the county) had his whole office come down with Covid two weeks ago so they've been shut down. An intern came to ride with him for a couple weeks while he did large animal stuff and they believe that's where it came from as she was the first to test negative and after alerting them they all tested positive.

Anyway, he and his wife (don't know about the rest of the staff) soon came down sick. Talked to him on the phone yesterday and he still sounded a bit tough. Said he was getting better but still running a fever, and had been for nearly 2 weeks now. The wife got over it quite quickly he said.

He's in his early 60's, maybe late 50's, and appears to be the picture of health for someone his age. Slim, active, doesn't smoke, and isn't a drunk (as far as I know). Would have thought if anyone would sail through the illness he would have. Sounds like he'll be fine but it was a bit of a wake up call that something bad could happen to people I wouldn't expect it to.

Alan
Just an update on our local vet. Talked to one of his co-workers today. He now tests negative and is no longer contagious but still feels lousy. He's only working 1/2 days, if that, and is completely wiped out. She said he dropped 20 pounds in the last couple weeks (I'd guess he was 6' 190lbs before).
The other staff lost their sense of taste and/or smell and were tired for a couple days. He's the only one who seems to have been hit hard.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Claybraker

I think this is a pretty neat tool and some might it helpful.  County level risk in the US of an event size n with at least one participant having the crud. Slider adjusts from n=10 up to more than I'd care to think about.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu

doc henderson

had our weekly task force meeting this am.  big up-tic here with a 15% + rate.  we are gearing back up.  all rural areas should pay attention to your local health department.  do not be lulled into complacency since it has not hit your area yet.  makes your community vulnerable if you have been missed so far.  be safe!

nativewolf

Quote from: doc henderson on July 13, 2020, 09:36:44 AM
had our weekly task force meeting this am.  big up-tic here with a 15% + rate.  we are gearing back up.  all rural areas should pay attention to your local health department.  do not be lulled into complacency since it has not hit your area yet.  makes your community vulnerable if you have been missed so far.  be safe!
Thanks for updates, stay safe!
Liking Walnut

Magicman

Humana sent PatD and me each a couple of masks.

We have been diligent about wearing our masks but we see many that are not.  It's just a matter of respect.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Doc, just looking for some facts so I figure I'd ask here (as the other thread seems to have died out!)

Got a couple local yahoos that think its all just a conspiracy and masks don't do any good.  And that the positive tested and the % positive of overall tested numbers don't mean anything.  Just the death rate.  These "informed" individuals don't think anything has to be scaled back until the death rate rises. :-X  What I see is the very young crowd not wearing them the most.  But, to my questions:

On the radio I've heard some stories recounted that there are a number of side effects (have not read or heard on the News) that are troublesome.  Long term damage to lungs and heart.  Memory (brain) damage.  Autopsies showing excessive blood clotting.  Long term loss of agility (motor control).  Can you comment on any of these that you professionally have heard about?

So far, has not touched anyone I know or anyone I know, knows in my area.  Just someone that has family back in Texas.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Gary_C

One day last week I was in Rochester, MN where the city has passed an ordinance requiring masks in all businesses in town. I stopped to get gas on my way home and forgot to put my mask on when I went in to pay and the attendant reminded me but handed me a new paper mask so I would not have to go out and get mine from the car. As I was running my card thru a guy came in behind me and the attendant also challenged him for his mask and he replied "Violates my First Amendment." The attendant simply replied "but you have to wear one" and handed him a new mask. As I was going out the door I could hear the fool saying "Violates my First Amendment" again.  ::)

There are all kinds of fools in this world and I wonder if that one even knew how little sense his claim made. Perhaps Duct Tape would have fulfilled his wishes but there is no justice in todays world.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doc henderson

I think the mask is a good idea.  I wear it anytime I see a pt. but take it off at my desk.  at the meeting about 1/3 leave them on.  we are around a bid conference table with about 29 in the room. The ones that leave it on, some as an example and some cause they are worried.  I think if you cough, the mask makes more sense than a hand or elbow.  it is to protect others from you if you have an infection.  this is why we wear them around people with low immune systems (like kids with cancer on chemo) or in sterile procedures.  We are all a little wiser (I hope) as we get older which by definition means we were not as wise when we were younger.  I vaguely remember feeling invincible when I was young.  Also, I think the current political environment further divides people into the "do" and "do not do" what the current administration recommends.  I go to lowes without one in the past.  we are spiking cases so I think it is a courtesy to go into stores with a mask.  I am not afraid to go there without one.  A hand shake is like a first kiss now.  2 people start and then hesitate trying to read the other person to see if they are comfortable shaking hands.  I do not think we will be remembered as the new greatest generation.  Back then, everyone did whatever was needed.  remember, this mask will not prevent you from eventually getting this, but does slow it to the point that the hospital and health care systems can cope.  If we get a vaccine that will help.  I hope this may burn itself out and not be a yearly concern.  I expect with all we are doing to slow Corona, that we will save lives from the flu as well.  the first amendment does not promise you can spread your germs in a way that suits you.  I am not a "take my boots off every time you enter the house"  kind of guy.  but if I went to a friends house and that was their rule, I would, or I would just stay outside.  respect for others.  

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

My wife and I got a pair of identical masks from Humana too. I thought it was a pretty good gesture and I use the one they sent me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store. Maine laws says all will wear face covering. As some of you know I have COPD. Work got me a face shield. I like it so much better than a mask. I forget I have it on even. I wore a mask for maybe 2 months, did not like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

I'm in a group of wood turners that meet every Wednesday morning.  We were meeting in my shop until January but switched to a bigger shop because we out grew my shop.  In April we canceled all meetings until 3 weeks ago.  Now about 6 are in the meeting with a couple wearing masks.  We also run Zoom and another 4 or 5 attend that way.  All are in the at risk range.  Most 70 plus with the attendant medical issues. 

I attend Zoom which I hate!  Partly because I sprained my left ankle and have trouble driving my stick shift.

All of my buddies miss the fellowship and personal interaction.  One of the good things that has resulted is a lot more one on one sharing.  I've been mentoring a beginning wood turner about 20 hours a week.  Several of the other guys are also doing similar.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I have been wearing a mask while sawing for so long that I never even think about it.

This picture is over 10 years old.  I have replaced that leather welder's apron twice and there is no way of knowing how many hundreds of 3M N95 masks that I have worn out.

Here is my latest discard.  The elastic gets badly stretched and the outside dirty from my gloved hand but the inside remains relatively clean.  They last through about 4 weeks of sawing.

I have/had always bought 6 boxes of 10 for the best price and free shipping. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

How about the boys working with you Magic

doc henderson

until his grandson, he has prob. worn out a few of those as well.   :D.

Magicman

Masks are available for them but generally tailgunners can stay upwind and distance themselves from the sawing.  I ride in an operator's seat so there is no escaping for me.  I do not make a sawing pass without the mask, plus eye and ear protection.  I also have eye and ear protection for them.

Thank You Sponsors!