iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Beginning here by mid next week. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Quote from: samandothers on December 11, 2020, 09:40:47 AMDon,
I stopped in convince store in Hillsville Va. yesterday to get some fuel and to use the bathroom. I had to wait a bit.  I noticed out of 19 people in and out 3 had on masks. I was shocked.  10 were sitting around a table meeting.  Similar observation in a Floyd Va. location most in the store had no mask including those behind the counter.  Hard to see why people don't follow the mandates in place.
The state positivity rate is 10.8%, Carroll County, Hillsville, is running 32.6%. The southwest district is running 24.2%. This is the hot spot in the state.
Those people are straining our hospitals and resources and are killing us. I pretty much view them in the same light as any other drunk driver.
The governor tightened it up another notch, which won't make a difference here. He also shared the mayor of Hillsville's recent facebook post.
Part of it; "I bragged how I hadn't let this virus change my life. Well I can tell you it has now. I'm sharing this so maybe someone with the mindset I had will give this virus the respect it deserves."
We need to act right, not spread foolish rumors and fear mongering, wear a mask and get vaccinated when its available. It's in everyone's best interest, including our own.

firefighter ontheside

I guess the first vaccine was officially approved for use by FDA last night and is beint sent out.  It's not approved for use in those younger than 16, so my kids will not be getting this one.  I imagine the next one will be the same.  They have no data on how it reacts with kids.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

fortunately they are at low risk as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bandmill Bandit

Just got a call from a family friend to tell us that her Husband died this morning as a result of covid19 complications during emergency surgery for a brain bleed last night. He was 79. He and his wife had both tested positive for Covid19 on Monday and he was admitted to hospital late yesterday afternoon and went into surgery just after midnight.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

firefighter ontheside

That's terrible and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  So many folks dying "before their time".  Hopefully she will make a full recovery.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Sad news. Much too often heard these days.

barbender

Sounds like Covid claimed Charley Pride today😥
Too many irons in the fire

Brian_Rhoad

Another update from Hershey Medical Center.

Brucer

Barb has a few allergy issues, but none of them life-threatening. We're both going to get the vaccine as soon as it's available. Pfizer has released their product monograph in Canada so we know what we're likely to experience.

The original volunteers for the various vaccine trials will be tracked continuously so we'll be getting better and better information.

Pfizer's storage requirements (-70  °C / -94 °F) and short shelf life means we likely won't have a chance to get a shot for a while. The Moderna vaccine can be stored in regular deep freeze and has a much better shelf life. I expect it will be approved very soon.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

kantuckid

Quote from: barbender on December 12, 2020, 08:21:32 PM
Sounds like Covid claimed Charley Pride today😥
I flat wore out my Charley Pride cassette tape! He had one of the best renditions of Bobby McGee I ever heard. I can hear him now singing-"anybody goin to San Antone"? or Caliga the wooden indian, or many more. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Brucer, my wife will likely want to read that whole monograph to check for allergy indications.  I will share it with her.

Yes, he sure could sing.  My favorite of his is Roll on Mississippi.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

My grandmother sure liked his singing, mom to. Grandmother had a couple records, never seen mom with any. I found it to be pleasant enough. I'm more into older pop music of 30-40 years ago. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Charley had a very interesting life story, anyone that isn't familiar with it should check it out some time.
Too many irons in the fire

doctorb

A 66 yo man was brought to the ER 10 days ago with a hip fracture.  Needed to be fixed and I was on call.  He tested + for Covid.  Admitted, seen by Medicine and Anesthesia.  Had a few comorbidities, but was relatively asymptomatic from the virus.  Anesthesia said putting him to sleep for the surgery made him high risk, and they suggested waiting for his Covid to clear. (by this they meant that he turn Covid -.  We actually don't know much about the effects of Covid in patients who undergo anesthesia and we had no idea how long he had been +).

Tried to fix him Monday, but Anesthesia still resisted as he remained +.  Scheduled for Friday (2 days ago) and a pre-op chest X-ray was obtained Thursday as a screening exam.  The patient had minimal pulmonary symptoms, yet his chest X-ray was awful....near white out.  It was very odd to see the degree of disease on the chest X-ray and yet see how seemingly well this man was doing.  Surgery cancelled for Friday.  Now he's much worse, he's in the ICU and intubated.  Prognosis is poor.

Medically, we wonder if we should have performed his surgery early, as we routinely try to do on hip fracture patients.  Would that anesthesia have hastened his disease, or would we have actually made him better by increasing his mobility after the hip was fixed?  Should we put the OR at risk for catching the virus?

This is an insidious virus.  Not really seen anything like it.  Be careful out there.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doc henderson

it is a conundrum.  had you fixed it and he got worse, you would be questioning if the surgery had stressed him and made him worse.  you will never know.  first do no harm.  best regards!  DOC.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LogPup

My brother-in law passed Friday night.  He went into the hospital having difficulty breathing.  Put into ICU that night and was Life Flighted the next night to
U of Md medical center. Was put into an induced coma and never came back out. Got lung clots and then bleeding on the brain.  The respirator was removed and he passed an hour and half latter.  12 days.  This is a nasty virus.

doctorb

My thoughts are with you and your family. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roxie

LogPup, I am very sorry to hear about your loss.  Tragic. 
Say when

dgdrls

My condolences to you and your family LogPup

D

LogPup

Thank you.  He was 54 years old. I know we see the numbers on the news but it seems until it's close to home it's not real.
My wife and I have been very cautious about wearing mask and hand sanitizing. I know the people at U of MD Medical Center
were very nice and helpful in any way they could be.

David

samandothers

Sorry for your family's loss David.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

kantuckid

Quote from: barbender on December 13, 2020, 11:28:50 AM
Charley had a very interesting life story, anyone that isn't familiar with it should check it out some time.
The Charley Pride obituary to read is by- Mark Kennedy, Associated Press, New York.
I already knew many facets of Charlie's life story as we are baseball freaks at my house and country music fans too. FWIW, I grew up with & around the game, played and coached, as have our three sons who still follow it closely.
The things I found interesting in the obit were the racial aspect, especially given the racial climate and much of what I'll call "clatter" surrounding race in America.
His Sledge, Mississippi (where they grew up) sister is quoted along with Charlies reaction to her, r.e., race and his posture on skin color, and the human realities of racial difference. Also as relates to his being the singular, at first- "colored", then "Negro", then "black", then finally "African-American" Country Music singer for many years. The man had a very balanced approach to who he was and always came across to be a very mellow, warm person to me. His personality permeated his music.

A local to my area of KY country/folk/bluegrass young musician named Tyler Childers, from Lawrence Co., KY, recently gave a racial dialogue video on his website recently which is far different than Charlie Prides take.
Childers openly shares his thoughts on the various "activities" r.e. race in our more recent news stories in America.  Best that I leave that for you to watch and make your own conclusions as touchy stuff.
Music matters even more during this covid time.

Well, the vaccine race is on! I'm afraid it won't matter much personally to my cousin's condition in ICU with covid.  

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!