iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Yep, I'll dry my hands on my pants before I use air dryers.  Trouble is that everyone before me used the hand dryer and spread their germs about the bathroom.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

In my state of KY, todays newspaper says I'll be in line to get a vaccination come ~1st week of February along with First Responders, K-12 personnel, and other seniors over 70. 
KY has received 202,000 doses so far as of end of December, with 26,000 given to date to medical and long term care folks who got them along with the politicos thought of as important enough.
Article says CVS & Walgreens as holders of federal contracts get to decide where the vaccine goes in KY.
 The 176,000 doses difference between overall total and few thats been given are not mentioned in the article. Long term care vaccinated so far is about 2,500 staff, 3,000 residents statewide last week. 
Lets hope that those most at risk got them, or "wanted them".  
In my way of thinking, First Responders would have been on that list along with front line medical workers.

Saw where a hospital here in KY- "they" voted that all doctors must be vaccinated but optional decision for other staff.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Tacotodd

Don't you just love the hypocrisy of "they"?
Trying harder everyday.

kantuckid

Quote from: Tacotodd on December 29, 2020, 08:34:25 AM
Don't you just love the hypocrisy of "they"?
The brief statement didn't say if that hospital had an employee council group who voted or if administration decided, or what. I guess "didn't say" are the key words beyond the fact that those beyond docs got to choose, not be forced to get vaccinated. 
If I ran a hospital (that's a good one?  :D) everybody who walked in that place for money, medical related students or to volunteer would be forced to get the vaccination.
Louisville had an instance of a drug store group thawing out more vaccine than there was a plan for and then gave that to customers, whomever? to avoid spoilage-our guv apologized and said there would be a plan next time, shouldn't have happened, etc.. 
Article in todays NYT's the writer says her husband is high enough up in his company, which is considered critical but is not a medical delivery company, that he can see to it that he and her both get the vaccine sooner, not later. Her lengthly article wore me out and I began skimming after several hundred words about adopted kids and other stuff in her life. But, that article made it clear there are some interesting ideas in place as to who should get the vaccine. 
I am not an automatic cynic but am a very fact based thinker who knows how far "self"  has permeated our society.  

firefighter ontheside

So much for my hope of getting vaccinated this week.  Counties around mine have been vaccinating first responders, but not mine.  That's probably because my county is doing it right and following the guideline set by the state dept of health.  I'm proud of my friend who heads the health dept for doing the right thing, but its just frustrating.  The state of MO has only vaccinated 1/3 of those who are in the first group in two weeks.  That doesn't seem very warp speedy to me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

The "last mile" isn't going too smoothly yet. Hopefully they will get the kinks worked out soon.

The UK's virulent variant of covid showed up in CO this week. The patient had not travelled which means there are more cases wandering around.

We spiked here considerably since Thanksgiving and another spike is going to pile on top of that one. The vaccine is on the way but this thing is as dangerous as it has been, be safe.

I was reading some history last night. The plague probably originated in Egypt and when they sent Rome tribute in grain it came along for the ride, and then spread throughout their empire, killing perhaps as much as half the world's population during the reign of Justinian in the sixth century. When it struck Europe in the 1300's another 50 million people perished. It returned frequently until the late 1600's. The last large outbreak was just wrapping up in 1666, King Charles II had come back to London when the great fire razed the city. When we brought Smallpox here it wiped out as much as 90% of the native population. This is bad but it has been so much worse, some days it is hard to see it but we are blessed to live where and when we do.

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, no doubt things have been worse in the history of the world.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

I would think the states need to take the bulk of the errors on their own.  The feds can only do so much.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

This site gives the vaccine roll out plan for New Brunswickers.

Vaccine
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

If it was my decision, I would be doing this very differently. After medical and all first responders, the people working considered essential would be next. Grocery workers, truck drivers, convenience store clerks, mailmen, utility workers, etc. 

Keep in mind that I live in a State that never came out of lockdown. The greater good would be served if I continue isolating and that young gal that brings my groceries to my car was given some protection. 

Our local news today said a 28 year old firefighter was lost to this virus. 
Say when

kantuckid

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 30, 2020, 07:38:38 PM
I would think the states need to take the bulk of the errors on their own.  The feds can only do so much.
Our state of KY has vaccinated the politicians first per our guv's instructions. 
In todays newspaper the Ag Commissioner refused the shot, for now, stating he felt elected officials were not the priority people. Kudos to him!!! 
IN my mind anyone who's primary job is too keep society safe-LEO's, Firefighters, them right after anyone who sees patients for health or emergency (not cosmetic reasons like a botox doc) would be right after the institutional residents and staff. How a state rep or their staff fits into the vaccine picture isn't political talk, it's bad thinking and certainly not about welfare of others. Utility line workers should be right up there as they keep people alive too. Urban transportation folks like bus drivers, so on, are extremely important! Even gasoline clerks & truck drivers are waaaaay above politicians and their staffs and their families? 
I'm also good with all grocery clerks & other food store workers (not Macy's, etc.) being vaccinated in front of myself as a senior. 

doc henderson

I agree. the folks that are required to come face to face with people at high risk (sick people) as part of their job, need to be healthy.  At least the majority of them or the system collapses.  Sad that someone who is helping others, lost their lives just doin their job.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Today's NYT's lead headline:

14 million doses shipped, 2.6 million injected. There's a map of the USA showing state by state rates of vaccination. Ranges from less than .5% up to 1.5% with only 4 states in the latter range. 

doc henderson

It should go faster when more people are in the "vaccinate group".  many people are holding back, as they are not sure that they need to be first.  when the supply is adequate, we can start vaccinating all who are willing.  that is easier than finding the small percentage that now qualify.  no one wants to be that person that gets it, and is later criticized.  It is also hard to do mass immunization, when we are supposed to socially distance and some are in lockdown.  be safe!   :)

usflag
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

Kantuck, your last 2 post say LOTS of good information and I wonder about that last disparity between shipped and given.
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

there is also a delay in reporting just like with the cases.  We had ours (vaccine) on the 16th, within days of the release.  quite a feat.  things in medicine do not move fast usually.  If we stopped vaccinating today, the reported number would still climb as they catch up.  I think we are doing ok.  Of course I am part of the system, so maybe I drank the "koolaid".

:D :D :D smiley_beertoast  

kantuckid

Tonites a "koolaid" night? at least for many people, not me so much as my carvedil ;Dl says nope to brewskis or wine but I have a personal limit of one which has proven to not kill me over many years. 

I'll go get the shot as soon as it's offered to my groupies, no hesitancy whatsoever! People like my wife, her sister and a couple of hired caretakers of her mom should get the vaccination in with the nursing home residents and staff. My MIL gets it next week as a 96 yr old in home care person. Her geriatric doc visits are mostly virtual. 
FWIW- my county has a FB group which I am the only person to ask who's getting the vaccination in this county-other than the one nursing home. That nursing home has all 6 cases in this county as of today.  

firefighter ontheside

Well, as if the governor of Missouri heard you guys, he is supposed to announce today that firefighters and other first responders are being bumped up to the first phase of vaccination.  It seems he got a LOT of public outcry saying what you all are saying.  We still have no indication who will be providing the shot, but its a step in the right direction.  One thing I will add about us that are the first people call when they are sick is that we have to respond to the homes of folks who have been sick for quite a while and go in and breathe the air they have been breathing.  Of course we wear masks and gloves and face shields, but those things arent't going to be as effective as they are in clean doctor/hospital rooms.

My word to folks who have claimed that covid is no worse from the flu is that in my 29 years as a firefighter I've never heard of a ff dying from the flu.  I've heard of at least 20 nationwide that have died from covid.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

FWIW, (and I'm not preaching to the choir when I say this) firefighters were already in one of the most dangerous jobs of all occupations. More so than LEO's and I think they used to be right behind dockworkers? 
 In todays world, even pre-covid it's bound to be far worse than when I first read that factoid.
 In my youth my best friends Dad was a Topeka, KS fire fighter, then a city fire inspector, my best friend is a retired Topeka firefighter/officer himself. 
In my younger days even the large departments in urban areas didn't do all the things they do now such as ambulances, first responder- EMT's, etc. they just fought fires-as if that wasn't enough danger.  

firefighter ontheside

Law enforcement in the current climate is having a lot more line of duty deaths right now.  Firefighters are probably above average due to covid.  I haven't looked at the stats for 2020.  The common misconception is that we only fight fire.  Today, though, probably 85% of the nations firefighters do both EMS and fire.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

My nearest neighbor is a KY state cop. He told me that this years cadet class had over half quit after but a few weeks. They typically lose a couple early on but nothing like that. It was this summers nationwide news that ran them off in droves. Sad but true...
FWIW, I went through the two week Fire Academy course in the 1960's (same training as then volunteer FD's) as a part of my Goodyear Apprenticeship-the skilled trades were the fire dept at the Topeka Plant. Our moto was to let it burn as none of us felt like dying over a tire plant.  

Claybraker

Yesterday Georgia expanded the definition of who is eligible phase 1a. One reason cited was slow uptake among rural healthcare workers. New guidelines LE, Fire, EMS, Adults 65 and over. Still trying to figure where I fit in, 64, type 2 Diabetes controlled, but it's a step in the right direction.

Dodged a bullet last week. I skipped an indoor family gathering of 10 people, 3 are positive with symptoms. Figure I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

If it's true you get chips with the Vaccine I'd like a side of Guacamole.

samandothers

My son, his wife and kids ages 3.5 years and 5 months took a trip via plane.  All but the 5 month tested before the trip to ensure no issues prior, PCR test.  Then when they returned they tested again with PCR test.  Son's wife and 3.5 year old daughter were positive and he was negative.  After a day Son wanted to retest, his work will only pay him to stay home if he is positive and he was sure he'd be positive with both wife and daughter positive.  He went back to test again and took his daughter.  He remained negative and this time so was his daughter.  His wife then went to retest and she was negative.  They were told they should get two negatives to ensure the first was a false positive.  Both wife and daughter retested and were negative.  We are quite happy of this out come, but it is sad the tests aren't more accurate as it does cause a lot of behavior that could be avoided as people try to isolate and ensure they do the right things.  

HAPPY NEW YEAR!   Hope this is a better year for all!   

Saw something today that said hope 2021 does not tell 2020 to 'hold my beer and watch this'!   :o

nativewolf

Quote from: kantuckid on December 31, 2020, 11:28:13 AM
FWIW, (and I'm not preaching to the choir when I say this) firefighters were already in one of the most dangerous jobs of all occupations. More so than LEO's and I think they used to be right behind dockworkers?
In todays world, even pre-covid it's bound to be far worse than when I first read that factoid.
In my youth my best friends Dad was a Topeka, KS fire fighter, then a city fire inspector, my best friend is a retired Topeka firefighter/officer himself.
In my younger days even the large departments in urban areas didn't do all the things they do now such as ambulances, first responder- EMT's, etc. they just fought fires-as if that wasn't enough danger.  
The 10 most dangerous jobs in America, according to BLS data
You made me look.  Loggers, fisherman, pilots and flight engineers, roofers, refuse workers, truck drivers, farmers, iron and steel workers, construction mining, lawncare were the top 10.  Firefighters at 24th.  Police in at 18th.  Wow logging rate of accidents is 4-5X higher than firefighters or policeman.  Sadly 2 more died today in Ohio.  
Liking Walnut

kantuckid

In my news paper today a Clay Co., KY man and his son, both of the same names-SR & JR were killed simultaneously!
Son was on a dozer and hit by top of tree while log rolled into Dad at side of dozer.

Just saw a picture of FL seniors standing in line for a vaccination, elbow to elbow they were! Is "the line" not a how to get covid, super spreader event?

Picture got me thinking about the glitzy golf resorts (Del Webb, etc.) we drive past most winters in FL where you can begin a life of leisure at age 55 and golf and craft your way into the great beyond-if you have the money and desire. It was an obviously large senior retirement enclave, not a nursing home full of wheel chairs and misery.

Are those seniors that different than those of us who stay on our place (by choice!) and whack weeds, raise gardens and such to get their shots now, not a month or more later?  
"Dangerous" is a different word than "dead" or "maimed". Thus,  when you make a list such as above BLS list there are serious nuances. Of the Vocational Rehab, injured on the job clients I often saw, mostly all were industry related, basically never were they government related jobs that hurt them. It gets more complicated than that actually. The list of ten most dangerous for e.g. list pilots- I can assure you the people flying an airliner are just a bit less in danger than say a military pilot or our Son, a test pilot. By that what I mean is that you must break down any occupation to get at the dangerous places.  

Thank You Sponsors!