iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Quote from: Old saw fixer on January 16, 2021, 05:20:19 PM
Happy to hear of so many unremarkable post vaccination symptoms.  Wife and I are 1C tier, we might get the shot before spring. VA has been slow with the rollout.  
1b is 75 or over and by occupation, my wife gets on that list on Tues. I'm a 1c as well and at the other end of 58 from you, I'd like to hear when you get poked, curious if we are being left behind.
Little Sis emailed last night, my BIL has it.  

WDH

Due to a stroke of sheer serendipitous luck, I was able to get the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday.  There was a good bit of soreness in my arm for two days and for the first couple of days, I found myself bone tired at the end of the day to the point that I had to lay on the couch and rest.  I was not as tired yesterday.  Otherwise, no other issues.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Many states are different on the age for 1B.  Missouri originally said 75 and then changed it to 65.  It looks like Virginia may have done the same.  According to Virginia Department of Health those 65 and over are in 1B.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/covid-19-vaccine/
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

We got our Moderna Friday and neither of us have had any symptoms of anything except upper arm soreness from either the stick or the vaccine. ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old saw fixer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 17, 2021, 08:45:55 AM
Many states are different on the age for 1B.  Missouri originally said 75 and then changed it to 65.  It looks like Virginia may have done the same.  According to Virginia Department of Health those 65 and over are in 1B.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/covid-19-vaccine/
Thanks for the info, firefighter ontheside!  Our county (and most of the middle of the state) is in 1A phase however.  We are eligible, when ever...  A check of our health district website shows nothing re: phases or when we will get the vax.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

doc henderson

"side effects"  are good signs things are happening with your immune system.  Prob. not the immediate soreness in the arm.  @Magicman and @WDH , remember to not play slug bug on the way home from the clinic.!   :)  it was reported on the news (have not read the study)  by a doc, that the consensus of the studies is that bandanas and gators although cool, are not effective.  the best is the N95 mask, but a surgical pleated two loop mask and a 3 layer cloth homemade mask offer protection, and are more available.  the key is they are used over the mouth and nose, and used consistently when unable to social distance.  I use a filtered air device when I am in a room known or highly suspected to have covid, and need to be in their face.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

You're welcome.  Gotta keep checking with your health dept.  This morning my wife asked me if I had checked on getting my parents on a list.  I told her the health dept. had no way to sign up yet.  Well, I checked again and it seems they put a form on their website 2 days ago.  I signed up both of my parents to be notified when and where they could get it.  Even though they are technically in same tier, my dad is older and has several issues that should get him close to the front of the line.  Hoping it comes soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Doc, are you using PAPR, air purifying respirator that runs on battery?  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

yes.  I have looked at it and wondered about the filter, as it moves lots of air, and not much room in there.  I want one for my shop.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

They are nice, especially when its hot out.  We use them with the task force occasionally.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bill

in SE PA  I recall somethig that describes what we're getting - comes from WW II I believe - SNAFU.

They ( PA ) started phase 1 A vaccinations. Not as bad as NY ( where nobody can be out of turn with fines for violations from $ 100,000 - $ 1,000,000 - Yeowzebub ! )

But in PA no 1b nor 1c  ( which is where I would fit without " other factors " ) .  Trying the local hospitals, dr's,  drugstores gives you a response - we're working on the plan and expect them to be ready spring or summer ( ? ? ? ? ? ) to begin signing people up .

After a few weeks I giess there were enough complaints that they " said they would accelerate ".  In my county I heard in the evening that you could register on the county health web site . So I did immediately ( before waiting for the next business day ). I got a nice email reply - " don't call us - we'll call you " . And BTW - don't sign up a second or third time .

I went to the PA state web site for cv19 for info. For commoners it says check back " later " . There's a place for " providers " - those folks that want to give shots. I figured I 'd look there to see what needs to be done to give vaccinations.  Now I thought iffen your a Dr or a hospital or a clinc you'd be authorized by virtue of being licensed to practice medicine in PA.   Seems I could very well be wrong. Looks like they want everyone to fill out a bunch of forms - in fact lots of forms. Looks to me more complicated the the IRS Tax Code !  

( could be to assure us the US of A is standing behind the vaccinations ? )

No wonder no one has a clue.

I like the story about NYC discovering smallpox in one person who came off a ship in 1947 . NYC vaccinated 6 million people in days - in 1947  . . . . . .   ain't bureaucracy grand :-(

As to side effects
> people die every day due to many different causes
> guy saw his buddy eat a banana on Mon . His buddy died on Tues.
> guy saw his own Dr on Wed and said " Hey Doc - eating bananas on Mon kills you " 

Best to treat others the way you should like to be treated .

SwampDonkey

Not sure when I'll be able to get the shot. Supply is tiny and I just seen where supply is even shorter since one of the outfits has to upgrade facilities to produce more vaccine. Plus rural Canada has to wait longer than urban areas. Some doctors are speaking out when health care providers on leave, and low risk settings like admins in urban centres are getting the shots ahead of rural front line health care workers. There has been no accountability and/or lack of communication and confusing messaging. I expect it will be a whole year before I see it.

Meanwhile, we are seeing regions here falling back into the red zone.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Got appts in late March, but not on the same day for wife and I.
If offered by my local pharmacy, Ill cancel and try for sooner
2 friends had theirs Sat. and Sun with no ill effects so far.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

Urban Texas is as messed up as the rest of the Nation.  Cities complain no vaccine, long lines, turned away when you show up for your appointment. 

Rural Texas.  A friend and his wife (told this before) signed up for the same day, she ended up with surgery on that day.  Husband came back from hospital after dropping her off, and the pharmacy called, said you missed your appointment, said come on in. 

Pharmacy called Friday and asked if his wife still wanted the shot, they had some extra.  Obvious answer, but, I love small towns, we know each other, possibly to well.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kantuckid

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 17, 2021, 12:59:59 PM
You're welcome.  Gotta keep checking with your health dept.  This morning my wife asked me if I had checked on getting my parents on a list.  I told her the health dept. had no way to sign up yet.  Well, I checked again and it seems they put a form on their website 2 days ago.  I signed up both of my parents to be notified when and where they could get it.  Even though they are technically in same tier, my dad is older and has several issues that should get him close to the front of the line.  Hoping it comes soon.
Not with mine. They said they know nothing other than they are gathering a list of people who fit on 1b list with over 70 age or occupation.
BTW, there is no pandemic today as it's MLK Day. Nobody will answer the phone here near me. I tried as my wife got on their list and I thought I might need to check that I was on both the regional hospital list and the health dept. too.
That said, I'll say this again- In other KY area health districts the health departments are the ones actually having the vaccine and giving the shots. Sad that we have doctors (only in the larger urban county health departments) & nurses in all of our other area health departments going to waste, so to speak, during a time when it really matters?
I watched NFL FB games rather than make a 3+ hour RT to the nearest VA for a vaccine shot.
8)Go Chiefs! 8) And if you don't like FB, that's your problemo. ;D

Wait!!! there more... after writing the above post my wife called tot ell me she'd made a vaccine appointment for us both-as seniors plus her as a caregiver, for this Wednesday at our regional hospital mid a.m.. Seems that my DIL who is a grade school teacher in Knoxville, TN had called that hospital on her planning period as her Dad who lives there is 79 plus he doesn't use puters plus her Mom is Alzheimers person and under his supervision/care, doesn't drive or cook, etc.. DIL got him an appt. then texted my wife 75 miles away to tell her to call which she did and aha moment for vaccination. Not one word did wife or I get as we'd signed up for online. In my own county people are getting the short end of the stick, especially if there not online or aggressively seeking the magic shot. 
I just called our county judge executive to point out to him that our health dept is seemingly out of the loop and the citizens lose out. In my wifes Mom's county they come to her home with the shot and her 92 year old uncle who doesn't drive got his shot at home from the health dept there. He told me that our regional hospital does have the "state contract" for the vaccine in their counties they serve, which coincide with our Gateway Health Districts Counties.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 18, 2021, 09:07:11 AM
Urban Texas is as messed up as the rest of the Nation.  Cities complain no vaccine, long lines, turned away when you show up for your appointment.  

Rural Texas.  A friend and his wife (told this before) signed up for the same day, she ended up with surgery on that day.  Husband came back from hospital after dropping her off, and the pharmacy called, said you missed your appointment, said come on in.  

Pharmacy called Friday and asked if his wife still wanted the shot, they had some extra.  Obvious answer, but, I love small towns, we know each other, possibly to well.
Nice story if it worked in my area. There is NO vaccine in my county. 

firefighter ontheside

Don't get me wrong, there is no vaccine in my county either.  I had to go to a hospital a county away who had vaccine just for 1A folks who were invited.  My parents have no indication that their shot is coming anytime soon.  They are on a list of people who want it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

garyfg

Got my first shot today. Get the second the 15th of next month. Didn't even feel the needle go in.

bodagocreek2

Funny. Some can give shots you don't feel and others never perfected the procedure.

kantuckid

And I sure never thought I'd hear a bunch of Paul Bunyan type's talking about a little ole needle thingy hurting them :D I self inject weekly and my technique is to slap myself where it goes in. On the cortisone knee shots I get every three months they either spray lightly some aerosol freeze-it stuff or swab on some ether(I think) and jab it all the way in. 
Worst shot I ever had (not under anesthesia as was my hip injection during shoulder surgery) was the cortisone stabbed into my heel, talc bone area-it was a serious ouch compared to ones shoulder. 
The badly missed, sideways, air injection at Ft lost in the woods became a minor cut and hurt some too. 

Interestingly, the same hospital that already has me scheduled for a vaccination (and has 100% of my entire medical history on file ;D) emailed me yesterday to say they had vaccine again and to make an appt., then several hours later I got a recorded call with a number to call for an appointment. Maybe Joe will get this thing fixed... 8)

Claybraker

Georgia expanded 1A to everyone 65 and over. Including their caregivers. Can you say loophole big enough to drive a log truck through? Internet access and the ability to navigate the system seems to be the deciding factor. 

Yesterday an acquaintance happened to see a FaceBook post announcing vaccinations would be available that day at the High School by appointment only. She just happened to be surfing the web at the moment, so snagged 3 appointments for 30 minutes later. Fortunately the High School is only 15 minutes away so off they went. Success.

When she got home feeling smug, she got a phone call to let her know about the death of another mutual acquaintance. 

doc henderson

I think the down fall is at the state and local level.  either no one in charge, or everyone in charge... all turns out the same.  It is easy when there is enough vaccine.

kantuckid

I agree based on news and SOME of our guvs comments. Not to be political but his tendency is to blame the feds on lck of vaccine then releases dose numbers that clearly show that KY has vaccinated ~ 1/3 of their vaccine on hand. When I talked with our counties Judge Executive he was most concerned about two things:
1- that our health district of 5 counties (coincidentally the same 5 our regional hospital serves) has no idea of vaccine doses or delivery to our citizens
2- that no one is vaccinating seniors in our county who are home or bedridden other than the one nursing home which they didn't perform either. The hospital I speak of has an active home health program in their service area. 
Meanwhile- as suggested above, those who are online or mobile are moving towards vaccination, albeit slowly as not enough doses came to my hospital so far. 

In a rural county where there is zero public transportation, no radio stations and what barely resembles a newspaper that actually is mostly from another county and not a true source of much at all, it matters hugely that the vaccine is not here in this place. 
My wife and I will travel the same 28 miles one way that we drove daily for several decades in our cushy car. This is Appalachia, and one of the poorest counties in the entire USA and many don't own a car, especially among seniors. Their are those here who use the "Medicab" service paid for under Medicaid but many don't have that option. There is not shortage of healthcare delivery here. That is the mission of the Catholic Sister, St Clair, who started our regional hospital and system. 

woodroe

Can people who have been vaccinated successfully still transmit the virus ?
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

pineywoods

Quote from: woodroe on January 19, 2021, 11:10:02 AM
Can people who have been vaccinated successfully still transmit the virus ?
Too early to tell for sure, not enough data, but the general consensus is you can still spread the virus, just don't make you sick. Subject to change as CDC collects more data. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!