iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

My read of the painkiller advice is that it says "MIGHT" and "FULLY (working)"

They don't really know, because with the accelerated testing, no one has checked for that interaction. 

So in your case I'd just take your regular meds, and you will "probably" get "some" protection. 

The actual injection isn't painful, but if you have muscle aches the next day it's probably OK to throw back some paracetamol, because the vaccine is already having an effect by that time. But taking them beforehand is useless, they will have worn off before it starts to ache, and they "might" interfere with the vaccination. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

the idea is that your immune systems is what causes the inflammation, in the process of killing cells with the virus, and or attaching to the spike proteins that allows a virus to be unable to attach and enter a cell.  We are used to talking about killing a pathogen, but viruses are not a live organism.  they are packets of DNA or RNA waiting to get into a host cell to reproduce.  the damage destroys the cell in the process.  When our immune system recognizes that a foreign protein is present, it makes a counter protein (antibody) to attach to the virus, and cover the spike, or attract other immune cells to destroy the virus and even the human cells that are infected.  the virus leave indicators (antigens) on the cell surface.  anti-inflammatory medication, reduce inflammation (the immune collateral damage) and therefore theoretically reducing the immune response.  steroids like prednisone is the worst, then ibuprofen, then maybe acetaminophen.  any preparation for the immune system can save a few days of getting the needed response. so after the vaccine or having had the virus, you are better prepared, and stop the replication before it is too bad, or too late.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ianab on January 30, 2021, 08:09:47 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 30, 2021, 07:04:32 AM
It's not about the 5 % at all. It's about being a carrier even if your immune. Going uncovered, sucking it into your airways, it being able to live a certain duration and you expelling it before it expires.
It's possible that could occur.
I just think the odds of being infected that way are REALLY slim.

Well, something else, a bit different than what I said earlier. We don't know how long immunity lasts yet. Since there have been reinfections after once having it, with natural immunity. We have not seen enough data on the vaccines' duration yet. This along with previous scenario (which may be media sensationalism) can give a false sense of security until we do have a handle on it. Doctors definitely recommend continuing distancing and masks even after vaccination. Hopefully, by this fall we can unmask. Who knows? No one yet. :)

John Hopkins says mask and distance afterward.
COVID-19 Vaccine: What You Need to Know | Johns Hopkins Medicine

CDC said to
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination | CDC

Health Canada also
Recommendations on the use of COVID-19 vaccines - Canada.ca
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

I agree it can't hurt to keep taking precautions while the virus is still circulating. The virus seems to be able to transfer by surface contact sometimes, and people are a "surface". So masks / distancing / cleaning will all reduce the chances of that. 

But with so few cases here in NZ they have been able to trace most infections from person to person, see what contact they had, and get a better idea of the risk factors. Some people catch it, but never pass it on, even to family. Others can go to the pub or church and infect 10 other people in one day. So that suggests what the high risk activities are, large groups close together, inside,  talking / singing etc. There have been odd cases where surface contact has been the only link between the 2 people. They rode the same bus a few minutes apart, used the same elevator a few minutes apart etc. But those aren't the mass spreading incidents. 

Anyway, the more the spread is suppressed then the faster it will be gone and the shorter the "tail" of the pandemic. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

That sure is a good analogy, Ian, "the tail of the pandemic".  As vaccination goes up, numbers will go down.  We shouldn't count on the vaccine to do all the work though.  We can shorten the tail by continuing to take precautions, including masks, distancing, hygiene.  This is particulary important for those who choose not to take the vaccine.  They will be counting on the natural immunity of those who have recovered and those who get immunity from the vaccine.  Not knowing how long either immunity will last, I think we can count on getting a shot every year for a while.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I had the second dose this morning.  My arm is starting to get sore.  Waiting to see if I'll get the headache like I had last time.  I felt well enough after the shot to go load the heaviest log I've ever done onto my trailer.  It was a 12' walnut that calculated out to just shy of 2000lbs.  That sure made my loading A frame creak and groan.  Hopefully I'm not groaning later.  Lol
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

"A mere stick", you can apply that to whichever pain needs it at the moment  :D

I think old saw fixer got stuck about a week ago on the other end of the state. So far crickets about my wife getting a shot here at the dim end of the state. Part of why we moved here was to be ignored by the government, on this they have been most accommodating. 

Magicman

I wonder if it makes any difference, soreness wise, if you get the second in the other arm?  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

most of the side effects from the second shot, are from the enhanced immune response from the first shot, and if that is the case they would both react the same.  to be honest, I do not know.  If it is a local reaction, and or just bad luck, then either one could hurt as well. I had no arm soreness with number 1 or 2.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

The local news service (MSM) says that you don't need the second shot if you've had COVID before.

Opinions please 
Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

I got my shot in the same arm, my left.  I'm right handed and would rather have my weaker arm sore.  It's the same this time as last.  I've had quite a lot of vaccines in the last 6 months, since I had the flu shot and 2 doses of anthrax vaccine.  I always have the same soreness.  Hurts for a few days and then its gone.

Not getting the second shot due to having had covid sounds like someones opinion and not based on any real research.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

the only comments I have heard is to wait 90 days if you had covid or the monoclonal antibody.  all of these recommendations are theoretical guesses as by definition, most of this is a first, and we do not have 10 years of real experience.  not to mention no long term studies.  they are still debating weather this will be a yearly shot to make modifications for mutation.  the antibodies our body make in response to the vaccine may be different to the ones we make to the natural virus.  one dose is helpful, but the repeat dose adds to the efficacy.  If you are sick, they will postpone a vaccine, so the symptoms if you get sicker, will not be attributed to the vaccine.  In the past, really good pediatricians would still vaccinate a kid with a cold, causes otherwise many kids that age would never get a vaccine.  kids are sick all the time as when they are born they have their moms antibodies, but have never had the actual illness.  they get 100 viral illnesses from 5 months to 5 years.  that is 20 per year, and at 1 week each that is 5 month each year they should be sick, to build their immune system.  they do not get infections for the first 5 month because they have moms passive immunity.  thank God!   :)

donbj

Quote from: doc henderson on February 03, 2021, 09:08:08 AM
the only comments I have heard is to wait 90 days if you had covid or the monoclonal antibody.  all of these recommendations are theoretical guesses as by definition, most of this is a first, and we do not have 10 years of real experience.  not to mention no long term studies.  they are still debating weather this will be a yearly shot to make modifications for mutation.  the antibodies our body make in response to the vaccine may be different to the ones we make to the natural virus.  one dose is helpful, but the repeat dose adds to the efficacy.  If you are sick, they will postpone a vaccine, so the symptoms if you get sicker, will not be attributed to the vaccine.  In the past, really good pediatricians would still vaccinate a kid with a cold, causes otherwise many kids that age would never get a vaccine.  kids are sick all the time as when they are born they have their moms antibodies, but have never had the actual illness.  they get 100 viral illnesses from 5 months to 5 years.  that is 20 per year, and at 1 week each that is 5 month each year they should be sick, to build their immune system.  they do not get infections for the first 5 month because they have moms passive immunity.  thank God!   :)
Here they are using the term "variants" as there are up to five of them now. Is the term
"variant" the same as mutation. If it is then yearly vaccinations could be the norm. They are quite concerned about these new variants as they apparently are spread way faster and easily apparently.
I appreciate your knowledge and input here.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Texas Ranger

Lady friend received her second shot yesterday,  has mild flu like symptoms,  we get our second Monday.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

21incher

Wife and I were supposed to be in line to get our shots the beginning of march from last weeks notice. Well got an email today from the University of Rochester health care system we are in telling us we should start looking elsewhere. They have 100,000 members qualified to be vaccinated right now but only received 3,000 doses they gave out already and don't know if more are coming. Guess we will just crawl back under our stone for a couple more months and wait for the next version that covers the African strain  :'(.    My SIL got hers last week and said she had the worst headache of her life for 3 days along with a very sore arm.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old saw fixer

I'll report on our reaction to the second dose, if possible LOL!  We both got just a slight soreness in our left arms, chosen by the nurses.  I have no idea why they wanted our left arms.  Connie had signed us up at the County Health Department and our PCP's center, the PCP called first.  
    I had my yearly appointment at the Pulmonary Docs today, to keep the CPAP script in place. I was talking to an younger fellow (he is 69) that lives in Chesterfield County and he hasn't heard anything yet about availability of the vax.  If I needed the vaccination, I'd check with an MD since availability for County Health Departments seems sketchy.  
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Nebraska

Wife and I  are scheduled to get round 2 next week.  

firefighter ontheside

I did have a headache last night which was about 30 hours post shot.  It wasn't bad at all and was gone when I got up this morning.  Arm still a tad sore, but I was able to sleep on it last night.

Numbers of positive cases and hospital admissions have been going down steadily and are now back to what they were around october.  I guess its just because the holidays are over and people aren't getting together for parties like they were a month ago.  I know for sure that MO hasn't vaccinated enough people to have an impact.  Last I checked MO was doing the worst out of 50 states with vaccinating.  We are the Show Me State and I guess we are showing you all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old saw fixer

We got a call from the PCP center scheduling Moderna #2 on the 25th of this month.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

thecfarm

No vaccine in my area.  :( I have COPD so the DR said I am high on the list. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Wife and I got our second dose of moderna today. So far so good but the waiting and watching has started. Louisiana is well on the way to have most critical persons and those over 70 vaccinated.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I'm set for my first shot tomorrow.

I originally had an appt. for Mar 5th, but a few days ago called and asked about cancellations, and the opening for tomorrow came available!

Now, I have to check to see if I can use the Mar 5th date for the second shot, but it will likely be cancelled and a new date selected!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

If a person is exposed to someone with the virus how soon would that person be able to pass it to a third person?   
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

doc henderson

yes.  a variant has different DNA, otherwise the dna would be the same as the mRNA just gets replicated.  so the variants mutated enough to evade those specific antibodies.   if a mutation make a virus less communicable or infectious, it will not spread as it does not have an advantage.  this is the problem as a mutation that makes a virus more likely to spread (confers and advantage), means it will become more prevalent, and why the bugs get stronger over time.  survival of the fittest.  if one marker on the surface remains the same then the antibodies made from the vaccine will work.  just like antibiotics, if everyone had the vaccine, the only viruses to survive and replicate, are the ones that can evade the antibodies.  so just like overuse of antibiotics, it can select for resistant strains.  If the vaccine could wipe it all out we would be one and done.  thus the concern for yearly changes in the vaccine to cover this.  It is good that the new tech. is easy to modify.  @donbj 

Thank You Sponsors!