iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

incubation is 5 to 11 days... we think.  @trapper 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on February 05, 2021, 10:53:16 AM
incubation is 5 to 11 days... we think.  @trapper
The biggest problem is you can be infectious for a day or so before the symptoms show. If you know you are sick it's simple to stay home. But if you dont know Yet, then there is a good chance you go to work / school etc and infect someone else. That's where the contact tracing and getting close contacts of a patient to self isolate for 14 days comes in. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

you tend to be more infectious, the sicker you are.  (more viral load).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Mom and dad got their first doses today.  Mom had said they were scheduled for this coming MOnday, but called yesterday to confirm.  The nice person on the other end of the call said, I show your appointments to be on the 5th and not the 8th.  Not sure what happened there, but it was a good thing mom called to confirm.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on February 05, 2021, 03:43:09 PM
you tend to be more infectious, the sicker you are.  (more viral load).
That makes sense as higher viral load and you start coughing them out. But at that point you know you are sick, and can take precautions. 
But I think a lot of the community spread is from the early stages. You might not be as infectious, but you dont know to isolate.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

yes, that is the reason for mitigation when you feel fine.

donbj

Quote from: doc henderson on February 05, 2021, 10:52:31 AM
yes.  a variant has different DNA, otherwise the dna would be the same as the mRNA just gets replicated.  so the variants mutated enough to evade those specific antibodies.   if a mutation make a virus less communicable or infectious, it will not spread as it does not have an advantage.  this is the problem as a mutation that makes a virus more likely to spread (confers and advantage), means it will become more prevalent, and why the bugs get stronger over time.  survival of the fittest.  if one marker on the surface remains the same then the antibodies made from the vaccine will work.  just like antibiotics, if everyone had the vaccine, the only viruses to survive and replicate, are the ones that can evade the antibodies.  so just like overuse of antibiotics, it can select for resistant strains.  If the vaccine could wipe it all out we would be one and done.  thus the concern for yearly changes in the vaccine to cover this.  It is good that the new tech. is easy to modify.  @donbj
Thanks doc for that explanation. Makes me wonder how these little mindless bugs can bob and weave and work to try and evade our efforts to defeat them.
Thanks again. Hopefully as better weather comes along things will settle down. Pretty tight restrictions got extended up here in BC today
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Ianab

Quote from: donbj on February 06, 2021, 12:57:43 AMMakes me wonder how these little mindless bugs can bob and weave and work to try and evade our efforts to defeat them.

There are probably millions of random mutations occurring with the virus. But most of them hinder the virus, so they don't spread, and we never know about them. But occasionally one comes along that makes it MORE infectious. 

It's like the million moneys with typewriters. Eventually one will come up with a Will Shakespeare play. Evolution works the same, you don't see the million failed mutations, just the handful that work out better. 

firefighter ontheside

Yes, the virus is a great example of survival of the fittest.  The weak ones can't compete, but the ones that are more virulent multiply and spread quickly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

It may still happen, but we have nearly zero RSV (kids) or influenza.  it could still happen.  the big fear was it would hit hard in the middle of covid and be our undoing.  or worse get both virus together or in succession.  that would make things even more fatal especially for the elders.

azmtnman

Wife and I got our 2nd Phizer shot yesterday. So far, so good. My arm is more sore this time but no flu-like symptoms. 
  One ray of hope I saw: the nurses, for the most part, WEREN'T WEARING MASKS!!! 8) 8) 8)They told us to keep wearing one for 2 weeks then we can shed ours. Can't wait. 
   People are screened before they enter hospital property. A guy at a security shack takes your temp and asks if you've had any symptoms.

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

doc henderson

so far the sheading the mask is not recommended, for sure not us med folks.  with high prevalence you still do not want to get it and spread it.  Not to mention influenza.  be careful as I question where the info came from that led them to that conclusion.

barbender

I don't care how many monkeys you give typewriters, they'll never write a Shakespeare play.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

even monkeys do not use typewriters anymore.   :)  we will cont. to wear as long as the numbers make a state mask mandate in effect.  no one else knows that you have had the vaccine and we do not want another surge just as the vaccine is here.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: doc henderson on February 06, 2021, 09:05:03 AM
so far the sheading the mask is not recommended, for sure not us med folks.  with high prevalence you still do not want to get it and spread it.  Not to mention influenza.  be careful as I question where the info came from that led them to that conclusion.

I sure do concur with that.  There's not much worse example than to say "Do as I say, but not as I do".
I have a fire chief who is like that.  That leads to our staff not putting theirs on when theyre supposed to.  How can I chastise them when the one who sets the policy is not wearing his?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

pineywoods

Update -second shot... good news and bad news. I have been following a project involving approximately 300 health care workers who got their second shot of the maderna vaccine. My experience followed theirs almost exactly. Side effects showed up 18 to 24 hrs after vaccination and lasted 36 hrs +-. chills, mild fever, loss of appetite, mild brain fog, mild dizziness , muscle aches and generally feel like the flu. When it's run it course, the symptoms disappear suddenly like throwing a switch, now I feel fine. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Nurses are getting the vaccine in my area, which they should. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Four persons my SIL has had close contact with at his work were diagnosed positive. He has been told to continue to come to work even if he feels sick. As relayed by him, two of the persons that tested positive are out and about in the community without any concern for others or their welfare and congregating with coworkers/friends at a gas station next to their workplace. Makes it hard to get ahead of this chit with attitudes like that. SIL is quite worried and nervous that he will get it. Can't say I blame him. We're supposed to keep the grand kids overnight next week but kinda not sure about that now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

I got my 1st vaccine yesterday 3:00, this morning the shoulder is a little tender, but no more-so than any other injection!

Next one due on the 27th.

Still have to maintain all caution!    :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Leeb, WOW!!!
If that happened where I work there would be a major shut down!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

I agree, unless absolutely needed, stay home.  I think there is federal stuff on that now.  As a physician, had the worst happened (it did not)  we would have to work anyway.  the worst would be 500 people trying to get into the ED, with people dying in the parking lot before we could get to them.  armed police guarding the door, and locked down.  I will not ask where he works, but with an out break he is right to be concerned he could spread it, and poss. get sick.  If we only had one cardiologist, and he had covid, he would still do procedures in an emergency if he felt ok, and no one else was available.  

firefighter ontheside

We had similar discussions a while back.  That is the definition of essential worker, we need to be there.  We had a lot of plans that would be put into effect before that happened.  Essentially, half of more of our staff would have had to have been sick at the same time.  Also, neighboring dept. would have to have been in same situation.  There was one local, small fire dept. that closed their doors for 2 weeks and had a neighboring dept cover their whole area.  

Now, there are not that many jobs that are that essential that they NEED to go to work sick.  If you are not that essential then going to work sick is irresponsible.  I would guess that an employer that says come to work sick, also does not make employees wear masks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

It's almost as if they are trying to spread the virus....  :-\

New scheme just started here to provide a wage subsidy if someone has to stay home due to exposure / awaiting test results etc. 

Business is expected to keep paying them, even if they have no sick leave, but can claim $350 a week to help cover that. 

Quote"From tomorrow, businesses whose workers need to stay at home while they await a test result can contact Ministry of Social Development (MSD) and apply for a one off $350 payment to help pay that staff member while they await a result, if they are unable to work from home," 
Employers to get 0 payments for staff awaiting Covid test results, but unable to work from home | Stuff.co.nz

One of the control measures that has been pushed here was "Stay home and get tested if you are sick" (for any reason).  There has still been occasional cases of the virus slipping through the border, so tracing and isolating contacts is an ongoing thing. So far it's been enough to stop any major outbreak. 

barbender

Why doesn't the government pick up the full tab of the employee's wages?
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!