iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

My wife and myself were scheduled  for or second Pfizer shots tomorrow. Because of weather , they are moved to Friday.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

garyfg

Braved the 6 inch plus snow today and got my second shot.

Runningalucas

Interesting account/idea of reinfection after immunity.

4 Oregonians test positive for COVID-19 despite being vaccinated - OPB

"These re-infections, called "breakthrough infections," are infections that occur more than 14 days after receiving the second dose of vaccine.
Given the effectiveness rate of the two vaccines —95% for both Pfizer-BioNTech's and Moderna's — it's inevitable that some of the 177,000 vaccinated Oregonians would become reinfected."
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Ianab

During the vaccine testing phase some of the trial folks got the real vaccine, yet still caught the virus. But ~20X the number in the control group got the sick. That's where the 95% effective number comes from. If none of the vaccinated had caught it, then they would be able to say something like "more than 99% effective". No reason to think that things will be different in the larger roll out. 

So some cases even after the vaccine is expected. But it should get the population over that mythical herd immunity number, where the disease dies out. Once ~80% of the population is immune, it's hard for the virus to find enough new hosts to move to. Then your 100 new cases become 50 next week, then 25 etc... 

It's also thought that the vaccine could give partial protection, so you still get sick, just not as badly. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Finally tonight I was notified that both my wife and I are eligible to get our vaccinations. So I went thru the lengthy process to schedule our vaccinations and there were no times available. At least they know we are still here.

On another subject, I just heard again about Vit D and zinc. Apparently if your levels of both are adequate, even if you get Covid the symptoms are far less than if you get a cold or the flu. They think the lower levels of sunlight in northern latitudes in the winter causes worse symptoms if you get the virus. Those with adequate Vit D and zinc levels have a much easier time if they contract the virus. 

Is anyone taking vit D or zinc supplements? 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doc henderson

almost impossible to sort through the fact vs fiction.  my wife took it for a while.  I took it for 2 days to make her happy.  we are both in health care, she is a pharmacist.  some doctors are promoting it, but there is no way studies have been done and most will say there is no evidence to support it.  I agree, but other than the cost, not much harm done if you decide to take it..
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

I take vitamin D and B12.  The bi annual blood  tests  my doctor requires show if the levels are off and mine drops during  the winter.  Taking the right amount keeps it at proper levels. I will not take any supplements my doctor doesn't request because some can affect the kidneys and liver.

Well our son is just about recovered. Said it was like a bad case of the flu and he can go back to work  the end of this week. So happy it didn't hit his lungs.

NY still is a mess with  getting  vaccinations out and hopefully  soon the local pharmacies and Walmart will also start dispensing so we can get a date. 

Just had a section  on the news showing Ford is now starting to work on clear masks now that should  be available soon.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

Quote from: Gary_C on February 16, 2021, 04:01:34 AMs anyone taking vit D or zinc supplements?

I think it's pretty well accepted that a deficiency of some vitamins / minerals can lower our immune system, but it's not really proven that taking extra will help. 

But if you are a little low, and don't know it, then I guess boosting your levels could help. I'm pretty sure it's not a "cure", but it could improve your odds of only getting a mild case?

I'd even wager that if a randomised study was done with Vit D vs no Vit D, that the ones taking Vit D could be "x"% better off, because it's boosted some of the patients that were vitamin deficient to begin with? But no ones done that study as there are higher priorities right now, so we don't know what "x" is. 

Like the Doc says, throwing down a couple of supplement tablets each day shouldn't hurt anything, and at least then you know you wont be more vulnerable due to low levels.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Runningalucas

Quote from: Ianab on February 16, 2021, 02:18:16 PM
Quote from: Gary_C on February 16, 2021, 04:01:34 AMs anyone taking vit D or zinc supplements?

I think it's pretty well accepted that a deficiency of some vitamins / minerals can lower our immune system, but it's not really proven that taking extra will help.

But if you are a little low, and don't know it, then I guess boosting your levels could help. I'm pretty sure it's not a "cure", but it could improve your odds of only getting a mild case?

I'd even wager that if a randomised study was done with Vit D vs no Vit D, that the ones taking Vit D could be "x"% better off, because it's boosted some of the patients that were vitamin deficient to begin with? But no ones done that study as there are higher priorities right now, so we don't know what "x" is.

Like the Doc says, throwing down a couple of supplement tablets each day shouldn't hurt anything, and at least then you know you wont be more vulnerable due to low levels.
In October/November of '19, before it hit here in the Western States, I'm positive i had it, and heard similar symptoms from several people; couldn't really taste anything, couldn't really smell anything.  I had more aches than usual in my spine, more so it felt like a thousand little knives almost; mainly just an irritant than anything.  Also, my pulse oximeter I thought was broken as it was showing my o2 in the low 90's. 
I was getting around okay, but it stuck around just tired, and little lethargic for about 6 weeks. 
My 'defense' were the supplements people commonly read about.  I've also got a very expensive colloidal silver machine, and used that as well; the 4 years I've been using the colloidal silver, I've not had any bronchitis; which I used to get yearly. 
I quit checking my o2, as I thought the pulse oximeter was broken, but when feeling better, checked it, and o2 did end up, back up to around 98.  Maybe it was a walking pneumonia, no idea.  I do a lot of my own doctoring, it's my body, my personal responsibility, but in doing so, I make sure to get yearly full blood panels done; as some of my supplements are for muscular dystrophy; like selenium, and take a little more than recommended.

Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Doc Henderson, care to hypothesize what the extreme cold will do to the pandemic?  A week or two of dead travel should have some effect, even though you are stuck with your family 24/7.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

great question, and you are correct to call it estimated overeducated guess.   :)  most viruses go up in the winter as more people stay inside, and have close contact with others.  Our traditional flu goes up in winter.  usually starts in November, peaks, and is gone or reduced by march.  this year we are seeing very little flu "so far" but due in large part from mitigation for covid.  At least now we have a combination of staying inside, but also a respect/fear of covid giving us motivation to follow mitigation guidelines.  We also see an outbreak of croup usually in the spring and fall, from parainfluenza virus.  we are not seeing it.  We are seeing virtually no flu but if we let up, could just have a delayed peak until march.  these are the reasons I think, some of the mitigation may go on "forever".  Thank God we were able to skip the flu this year (so far) and be able to devote resources to covid.  We are seeing an increase in people who live in run down houses come for food and heat issues.  so as Gilda Radner used to say.  It's always something!  I hope the cases continue to drop, but with all things combined, it may be hard to tell if it was the cold weather, or all the other things coming together.

Ianab

Logic and circumstantial evidence suggests that less travel / going out means less chance for the virus to spread. Simply, the less people you see during the day, the less your chances of being infected are. 

Whether that's because there is a lock down, or the weather is so bad everyone stays home shouldn't change the actual outcome. 

If no one in your household is infected, and none of you mingle with anyone else, then you can't get infected. 

Don P

We've just dropped below the pre Thanksgiving numbers for the first time, so the holiday gatherings have finally worked out of the system here.

On vitamin D, doesn't matter who you are I can just about guarantee you are deficient.

For flu, snotty nosed younguns are the main vector, schools are the main source. They have been closed or practicing better hygiene.

WV Sawmiller

Wifey & I are scheduled for Monday vaccination. I guess our state remains high on the efficiency rate for the country so far which is a nice change.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I have sorta "social distancing" with PatD since we got that 1½" of snow/sleet mix yesterday.  She has been standing and peering through the window with tears rolling down her cheeks.  It's getting cold outside and I .....

may have to let her in.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JuanChair

Quote from: Runningalucas on February 15, 2021, 09:52:37 PM
Interesting account/idea of reinfection after immunity.

4 Oregonians test positive for COVID-19 despite being vaccinated - OPB

"These re-infections, called "breakthrough infections," are infections that occur more than 14 days after receiving the second dose of vaccine.
Given the effectiveness rate of the two vaccines —95% for both Pfizer-BioNTech's and Moderna's — it's inevitable that some of the 177,000 vaccinated Oregonians would become reinfected."
Down here we get news texts on our cell phone 3 times a day regardless if you want them or not.  There is an option on the front page of either Spanish or English and I did a screen shot showing this. 
One image is in Spanish and the next is in English. 

Anyway in these daily news reports they have A LOT of non-stop official COIVD updates and information. 

I know for a fact that those reinfections you mentioned reported in the news are causing a lot of people down here to not trust the vaccine even if their fears are unfounded.

We got our first shipment of Vaccines last week and they started going out on Monday.   For some reason the Federal Health Department decided it was best to send these first vaccines to 333 rural pueblos for the poor elderly people.  They made a big deal in the press and highlighted it all, I screen shot an image where they are constantly talking of people over 100 years of age getting the shots. 

Well within 24 hours after one of these elderly people getting the vaccine, they died.

The fall out was immediate and the story was blocked.   I would invite you to read the comment section but its all in Spanish and there is no translator for the comment section.   Basically a lot of people are mad and feel (even if its unfounded) the vaccine has other sinister motives.   Now in every news story regardless of the story, in the comment section they mention the deleted story and the issues.  Kind of like where you see that Jeff Epstein didn't kill himself all over comment sections in YouTube.

They question why the government would send out the vaccines which are in very limited numbers, to poor rural areas and give it to very isolated 118 and 120 year old people instead of not first giving it to front-line workers in the hospitals in the large cities where mass spreading and infections are occurring.  Maybe they feel helping the elderly in the rural areas will prevent them from getting sick and needing to go to the large cities for treatment.  

One screen shot indicates there are a possible 6,691 reactions possible with this vaccine and 33 serious reactions.  People are scared of this high number of reactions (they say so in the comment section - just reporting the facts)

Since we just started vaccinating here Ill try to post screen shots of just factual up to date news and information.  If there is something anyone wants me to look up or find regarding the vaccine here in Mexico just ask. 

JuanChair

Quote from: Gary_C on February 16, 2021, 04:01:34 AMIs anyone taking vit D or zinc supplements?

Yes my wife and I are, here are we we are taking.  I had these bought in the USA and sent to us.    

WV Sawmiller

No matter what order they chose to vaccinate someone will complain. Initially when they started folks would say politicians were jumping the line to get their shot first and if they declined they said he did not trust it so why should they. My thoughts are give it to the people who are at the greatest risk and it sounds like that is what your gov't tried to do. The only issue is different opinions on who is at the greatest risk? I am just happy every time I see anyone get a shot because I figure that is another break in the chain and you break enough links it can't spread.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2021, 07:55:01 PM
I have sorta "social distancing" with PatD since we got that 1½" of snow/sleet mix yesterday.  She has been standing and peering through the window with tears rolling down her cheeks.  It's getting cold outside and I .....

may have to let her in.   ::)
I hope you have a warm doghouse MM!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

the vaccines have been released early as there is a world wide pandemic, and considered drugs under investigation.  that means they have to be used as directed, any and all reactions and side effects are encouraged to be reported.  all of this has to be reported, as this is how they will figure out if there is a correlation with the vaccine.  the vast majority of side effects are unrelated, but if not reported, you would never know.  it is like we are continuing to study the vaccine and looking out for problems.  the package insert will list even a one time issues with a drug, and these inserts are what make up the book called a PDR.  Just like the placebo effect where people taking sugar pills (control group) in a study, they may reports lots of benefits, as well as side effects, even though taking the placebo.  so especially with all the politics and fear mongering,  many people prob. feel worse than they otherwise might, due to the fear and expectation of serious side effects.  If you recall, I posted a picture if the package insert.  the size of a newspaper, but black except for a number that correlates to the drug (vaccine).

Runningalucas

I checked in my area, they're dispersing vaccines to first responders, health staff, seniors, nursing home residents, and the homeless.  The homeless is interesting, as most here are on drugs; the police don't do anything unless they actually assault someone, so you see some real weird stuff.  

On that note, I'm seeing this will become a yearly vaccine like the flu shot, and then aren't sure whether it'll work as there are multiple strains now.  I know that the 3 winters I was going into nursing homes to visit relatives, the flu, and pneumonia vaccine didn't stop much.

New Nigerian Covid variant found in UK 'could be resistant to vaccines' - Mirror Online

"Dr Simon Clark, from the University of Reading, said the new strain - first detected in Nigeria - could 'blunt' immunity from any vaccine or previous infection after 32 cases were found in the UK"

^^^ Regarding the above link, I read another article while at the doctor's earlier, that they think there's now a California strain mixed with a UK strain that's also proving to resistant; perhaps it's tied in with this Nigerian strain.

Tristen

Dose anyone have the numbers on "deaths related to vaccine"  or even the numbers on "serious reactions"  ?     I think it is to soon for any numbers on the "side effects on unborn babies" ? 

I know people say the numbers are small or the numbers are to be expected, or "within range" of other vaccines,  but,  What are the numbers ? 

I don't know if these numbers are available to the public yet or if they are kept hidden.  But all of the facts i can find so far are questionable or written in medical jargon that i can not interpret.  

Even a link to where to find this info.  
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

gspren

I had breakfast with a long time buddy today and his son is a pharmacist at the local hospital. The son has been helping with the vaccines and said it appears that the older people don't seem to be affected (sick) with the second vaccine as much as the younger people are.

Another thing I saw on TV was at a vaccine center in a neighboring county it appeared they put a white patch on their arm and then gave the shot through the patch, first I ever saw anything like that.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

most medications that are effective, have side effects.  I know numerous people that have died from covid both in person and in my work.  I have cared for those that had the vaccine and had a headache and or nausea or muscle aches.  as we have said before, the side effects from the vaccine are a good thing in that they indicate that the vaccine is fooling the immune system so it is prepared in the future.  If you get the virus or the vaccine we know you can get covid still, but be less sick.  If you are so old and frail that getting a small fever or other side effect pushes you to the other side, then you prob. were not long for this world.  I guess you can imagine that getting covid would not turn out well either.  I do not personally or through my profession know anyone who has died or had a serious side effect from the vaccine.  One case of low platelets thought to be related to having the virus.  this can happen from other viruses as well.  Unborn babies born to a vaccinated mom, should then have about 5 months of immunity if that vaccine and passive immunity works like other vaccines and infections.  Like all medications you have to weigh the risk of the vaccine and its side effects vs the disease.  no numbers, based on my experience.  @Tristen I hope that was plain enough without being too blunt.  they will publish and investigate all deaths in proximity to the vaccine, it does not mean it was caused by the vaccine.  Doc

Thank You Sponsors!