iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 22, 2021, 10:29:09 PM
My wife and I have gotten the first hand opportunity for a direct comparison between the Covid vaccine and Covid itself.  We are some of the unlucky ones who got the virus between vaccines doses.  Actually, we probably had the virus when we got the vaccine shot, but it was still too early to show symptoms.  Poor timing on our part.  

The vaccine was unpleasant the next day.  

Covid has been unpleasant for both of us for almost a week, so far.  We seem to be doing OK considering, with mild to moderate symptoms and ebbing back yesterday to mild. But take it from me, the vaccine discomfort is not in the same league as the disease itself, at least for us.

Anyway.  We had an infected pre symptomatic person in a small group, who had not had a vaccine.  My wife and I had not had a vaccine.  Two other people in the group had the vaccine, one of which was my 80 year old, high risk mother.  The other had the virus several months ago and still has a currently strong antibody presence.

So, six people, two of which were vaccinated, one with immunity, and three not vaccinated.  ALL three unvaccinated persons are currently Covid positive, and working through the illness.  ALL three of the protected persons have been tested as Covid free.  That's pretty easy math in the six person unintended Yellowhammer trial.  

Me - Unvaccinated - currently Covid positive
My Wife -  unvaccinated - currently Covid positive
My oldest daughter - unvaccinated - Currently Covid positive

My mom - vaccinated - not infected
My Stepson - vaccinated - not infected
My youngest daughter - strong anybodies from former Covid - not infected.  

Draw your own conclusion as to the effectiveness of the vaccine and the contagious nature of Covid.  And yes, we let our guard down for an instant, and are paying for it.
A man!, Well I am hoping you get through this as gently as possible. I will be thinking about you, keep us all in the loop, will ya?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Hang in there, sorry that worked out that way.  ::) nothing like lousy luck.  I hope by Fourth of July this issue fading into the rear view mirror.  Wishing you guys a speedy recovery. 

firefighter ontheside

Sorry about the bad luck, YH.  You weren't the first nor will you be the last to get the vaccine while positive for Covid without knowing it.  Get well soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

When I made Reply #2024 this morning, I had no idea that I would do anything today, much less saw!!  So I gave the vaccine a run for it's money and I guess that I came out ahead.  Well at least I did not conk out on the sawdust.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Hope you and your  wife  have a speedy recovery YellowHammer.  Still can't find an open appointment for my wife and I in our area. All I am seeing is check back in April. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Runningalucas

I don't know what Fauci is talking about, in Idaho, they never shutdown, and most of Eastern Washington is back open, but I guess batten down the hatches...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/fauci-vaccinated-people-cannot-dine-indoors
""So there are things, even if you're vaccinated, that you're not going to be able to do in society: for example, indoor dining, theaters, places where people congregate," Fauci said.
"That's because of the safety of society. You, yourself, what you can do when you are together with another person, we are looking at that, and we're going to try and find out very quickly what recommendations could be made about what people can do," he added. "

less than 50% of the article.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

YellowHammer

A little update and maybe some useful information.  

First, the Covid isn't fun.  I'm down 13 lbs body weight, but not doing bad. The symptoms we have are like a common cold x 10, that just linger.  I do have a case of the Covid tongue, which feels like I've licked the lint trap in the clothes dryer.  It's a fuzzy feeling reaction people sometimes get when the virus replicates on a persons tongue.  I got out of breath and tired walking a few hundred yards to the barn today, but at least I felt good enough to go outside in many days.   

My wife was not doing as well, some deep coughing yesterday, getting us worried, and her doctor got her into the Huntsville Hospital Covid Monoclonal Antibody Infusion Center.  It is specifically authorized for mild to moderate Covid patients, before they get seriously ill, of a certain age or pre-existing  condition, and involves infusing man made antibodies directly into the patient to aid the antibodies being produced but of insufficient quantities by the patient.  There is a certain window in time in which they must be introduced, and in some patients, reduce the progression of the disease and subsequent hospitalizations significantly.  The nurses said that most people see a remarkable rebound within 48 hours, although sometimes as little as a day.  My wife, who was getting worse, had them infused into her arm during a 45 minute IV session yesterday morning, and remarkably, was feeling significantly better already today.  Amazing.  The drug is called bamlanivimab.

In our case, it worked well and quickly.  I made a comment to the nurse about how she must be glad she is young and doesn't have to deal with this garbage, how Covid would "just bounce off her" and she said in June she almost died from it.  She was doing OK, but about the 7th day, her O2 levels dropped suddenly, she spent 3 days in ICU during which she underwent respiratory arrest, had no prexisting condition she was aware of, and was only 26 years old.  She is fine now

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Thanks for the update YH.
Scary how the unknown creeps in and can affect any of us so quickly.
Take care of Martha, and yourself too of course!
Best wishes from Canada.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Oh, I forgot about the vaccines we got.  Wal Mart in this area offers them, (soon to be nation wide) and I couldn't ever get an appointment though their online appointment scheduler, because it was always full.  

So here's a tip----thats where I learned they reset and open their next round of daily appointments every midnight by computer.  So we set our alarm for 11:55 PM, fired up our iPad, and by 12:05 AM we both had appointments scheduled.    

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WV Sawmiller

I am surprised with this "Check back in April" kind of comment. I'd have thought they'd just put you on the list for the next available slot based on your reported age and health issues to determine which group/priority you were in. I don't know how they are running their appointments or such but our state gives us the option of signing up on line or calling an 800 type number and either way they put you on the list. I signed up on line then my wife called hers in right after and within a couple weeks we got a call and set up our appointment for yesterday and they said we have the same time 3 weeks out for the second dose but also said they would call. I usually hate state level and above politicians but I have been well satisfied with what I have seen here so far. (I can't believe I actually said that. ;)) Actually as I understand we are now in the "Anybody in the state can call in and get on the list".
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

glad you guys are hanging in there.  the monoclonal antibody is directed against the spike, that is needed to attach to cells for replication.  so it needs to be done in the first 10 days as the virus is replicating.  My wife works for Walmart, and she is having meetings about the vaccine, but they do not have enough everywhere.  supposed to start here in 2 weeks now, as of the meeting this am.  Many recommend to wait 90 days after you have the virus or monoclonal antibodies before getting the vaccine.  good luck!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I guess one of the vaccines, (Pfizer) plans to now dispense 15 doses per vial.  I fear so many routes are being developed, and in the end, there will be people signed up at 3 places.  I guess in the end, if there is some waste, at least all will be vaccinated.  at least the ones who want it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Gary_C

Here in MN my wife and I, both over 75 were notified about two weeks ago that we were approved to schedule an appointment but after going thru a lengthy bunch of questions the answer always came up "no appointments available." On last Wednesday when my wife had an INR check at our clinic and on the (please don't say I told you) advice from a nurse we went up to the floor where they give the shots and were told they were all booked up for two weeks. Over the weekend there was a news story that MN shipment of vaccine had been lost and then later found in Memphis and was redirected to St. Paul where the National Guard distributed it to outstate locations. So on this Monday I went thru the lengthy questions again and surprise, all kinds of appointments came up at many locations. And best of all we got in today (Wednesday) and are now getting ready to go. Hooray!

I called a friend that is the same age as I and he already turned down the shot. He did not have a good reason, just said he also did not like to get flu shots either. I'm going to have to work on him a bit as he is also scheduled for a knee replacement in March. 

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

firefighter ontheside

My parents got their second dose today.  I'm very happy about that, but I've seen a lot lately that the second dose is actually not adding much more protection than the first dose afforded.  This week dad and I will run the mill together without masks for the first time since early summer.  Well, let me qualify that statement.  Dad will be without a mask as he stands back while I'm cutting.  I will go back to wearing my respirator with exhalation valve while cutting.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

Again, I would point to Yellowhammer Trial as to the effectiveness of the vaccine and the contagious nature of the disease. Its a small non clinical trial, but I think makes a clear statement.

My oldest daughter (30 years old) is recovering with no ill effects, still coughing some, but she was up and eating ice cream when we called her yesterday.  

My wife (55 years old) is still doing better today than yesterday, as am I.  A note about her.  She is possibly the healthiest person I've ever known.  She has never caught the flu, never even taken flu shots.  I can't remember the last time she's even had a sinus infection, much less any other type of illness.  Her blood panels are prefect, her blood pressure is perfect, but she did have a cancer scare a couple years ago, but it wasn't a problem, knock on wood.  We used to joke, obviously in poor taste, that if the zombie virus ever attacked, she would be the only survivor in the world.  She has the immune system of Superwoman.  However, this unpredictable virus hit her hard, much worse than me and we are thankful that her doctor got her the monoclonal antibody treatment, which stopped it in its tracks.  She is still coughing, very tired, but so far so good.  Just saying, this virus is like a lottery ticket.  From my aunt who died from it, my neighbor down the road who said "it was the sickest he'd ever been in his life," to my nephew in law who suffers from permanent lung damage, to my youngest daughter, who was purely asymptomatic except for complete loss of taste and said "It was no big deal for her."

You spin the wheel, you take your chances.    

Quote from: doc henderson on February 24, 2021, 11:05:57 AM
Many recommend to wait 90 days after you have the virus or monoclonal antibodies before getting the vaccine.  good luck!
Thanks, Doc I appreciate it.  With you being on the front lines, I really, really, (yes I said it twice) thank you for providing valuable input on this topic.  Salute!  

YellowHammerisms:

doc henderson

nothing but best wishes for you and your family.  Salute back at ya!

caveman

Robert, I hope and pray that you and Martha as well as your children rebound with all deliberate speed with no long-term problems.  I know at least a dozen who are infected right now.  Some are having a hard time.  I am in quarantine as of this morning.
Caveman

YellowHammer

Caveman, thanks, and I hope you dodge it, or if you do get it, its a non event.
YellowHammerisms:

stavebuyer

Why are normal health care channels not able to obtain any doses of the vaccine? Seems more logical than a parking lot.

doc henderson

I think as there is not enough, it is distributed via health departments and government affiliated clinics.  If it becomes a recurring annual shot, it should get easier.

Old saw fixer

Got our second dose of Moderna vaccine this morning.  Time will tell...
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Tristen

So here is a nice little fact about the distribution of the covid vaccine.   

In the state of Illinois, USA, If you are a healthy, "non-essential worker" age 18-64, you are in line to receive the vaccine after every inmate in the state.  

So to put that in perspective a 24 year old convicted murderer/rapist/child molester will receive the vaccine BEFORE a 64 year old healthy law biding/taxpayer/small business owner. 

That is just the facts, trying my best to keep my opinion out of it.    
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

firefighter ontheside

I certainly empathize with you about the frustration with convicts getting vaccine before everyone else.  It is not fair in any way, but with the cost of treating every inmate that gets sick, its in the best interest of taxpayers to keep them healthy.  I think Doc mentioned a while back that cases were starting to decline in prisons as the prison population got close to herd immunity.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

Quote from: Old saw fixer on February 25, 2021, 01:11:23 PM
    Got our second dose of Moderna vaccine this morning.  Time will tell...
My shot spot stayed swollen for ~ 3 days after the 2nd dose-had an actual hump there for 2-3 days! I'll say again that I had no business driving the first 24-36 hours and was extremely joint sore and felt like crap. Hints of what had been a full on headache subsided gradually. Was about 4-5 days to say i was mostly normal overall body wise. Anyone who works should maybe think twice about the activities after the 2nd dose-maybe it was my age? Shot still beats being dead by 100000000%. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

seems counter intuitive.  I am not justifying it from a social or justice point of view.  anyone incarcerated becomes the responsibility of the state.  almost like foster care.  We have a local prison and the inmates range from young to old.  So it is like a big nursing home with many who cannot leave.  We made the number one position in the nation in terms of daily increase in cases because of our prison.  We had days in the ED that 4 prisoners were transported at a time and many took space in the ED and ICU.  Once it started there, it spread and by our peak in the community, over 80% of the prison had already had it.  It left there via the employees.  so it is basically a super spreader event, and seen as a public health issue.  As you know, some states opted to let prisoners out...  so prob. better that at least those folks "got" to stay in prison.  they were part of what nearly overwhelmed our local system.  again, I am not saying felons are more important than anyone else.  they ended up using up a lot of resources.  so this provides a look at the behind the scenes thought process.  We actually had the Kansas State Medical Director of Prisons on our weekly covid meetings.  She is also one of 5 Docs Deployable with KSAR and grew up 20 minutes from here.   :)  @Tristan 

Thank You Sponsors!