iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Quote from: Ianab on September 30, 2021, 08:41:39 PMEffectiveness is a little worse against the Delta variant, because it's just more infectious.

I was listening to a science show on the radio yesterday that said the delta variant has a 1000 times more viral load that the original making it more likely to cause symptoms and a lot easier to spread.

doc henderson

I had not heard that.  the viral load has to do with replication, so it istime dependent.  which is why it is good to shut down replication ASAP with your immunity from the disease, or an immunization, or an infusion of a monoclonal antibody.  the viral load does affect infectivity and symptoms.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

I only listened to part of it in the car so my interpretation my be off a bit. ???

I believe this is the episode if you would like to listen sometime.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-51-quirks-and-quarks/clip/15868443-bronze-age-town-destroyed-meteor-global-warming-makes

Paul_H

Quote from: doctorb on September 29, 2021, 10:10:10 PM

Would any non-vaccinated people have strong objections to be shifted to the care of non-vaccinated health care workers?

No objections as far as care,they are not dirty vermin after all but how soon before they are moved into ghettos-for their own protection of course.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ed_K

Antibody testing is very expensive, who's going to pay for it. Two Doctors and the VA would give me the test, until Rita started crying to our primary Doc. I got tested and it was 11.8 % effective. I would think that people with OTHER immune disorders, diabetes ect, would fair about the same as me. I have had 2 shots of Pifzer vax and my cancer Dr. said to get the 3rd shot. Because I have no immunity from a blood cancer I have to watch extra careful where I go and who comes to the house. I wear a hospital mask that isn't safe enough and Rita is experimenting with making cloth ones to fit my beard so I can go to my cancer center and feel a little saver.
 I don't like the word survivor there's no way all the cells are removed, they can come back at some point.
 T-Cell cancer treatments are being called the new cancer free procedure, but when you really start questioning your told it's only until your immune system says no.
 So to really not get Covid 19 or any other virus you need to watch what you touch and what you breath, and wash your hands, Rita's favorite saying.
Ed K

doc henderson

Dr. Slomka's son Camille had his heart and liver transplant.  started last evening and finished early this morning about a 16 hours surgery.  he will be on anti rejection drugs (immunosuppression).  any significant infection would kill him at this point.  It would a great loss and a waste of a generous donation by another person and family.  Camille has had numerous surgeries and near death experiences.  He has a 2 year daughter.  My first patient last night was in his 80s and traveling with his wife, north to south and passing through our town.  was + a few weeks back.  got short of breath walking to the hotel.  coded but we got him back.  had a priest come and he died on the vent a few hours later.  Very sad for the wife who is hundreds of miles from home, so no other family could be here.  the rest of the night went better.  These are the things that make us feel so strong about the vaccine, although I feel everyone should have a choice.  you cannot put others at increased risk and I really felt bad for this wife.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

That is sad and is a sad truth about this virus.  Just surviving the virus isn't always enough.  I just got my booster today and I'm happy I did.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

I just learned of a lady I know passing from Covid. Maybe 60 or so, no health issues I know of. I guess the last time I saw her was a couple of months ago, there wasn't a thing wrong with her. I don't know for sure but I don't think she was vaccinated. Just very, very sad. I guess I say all of this to make a point. In the midst of the needed conversation about government mandates, lock downs etc and all of the political bantering that goes back and forth, it seems it is forgotten among many that I usually agree with that this is a dangerous disease that is killing people. Not just people that had one foot in the grave, either. This gal that just passed, and another gal that passed last summer that lived just down the road, would still be here and would likely have many years left on this earth if it wasn't for Covid. A gal I went to school with, maybe 42, got it and about didn't make it. It reminds of a guy I knew. He hated seatbelts. Old school. Refused to wear one and thought less of you if you did. Well then he and his wife were in heavy fog on the interstate one morning, ended up in an about 40 car pile up. They got banged up pretty bad. Well all of the sudden he was very pro seat belt. It seems like a lot of that with the Covid situation, too. I don't want my position to be based on the fact that I just haven't had to deal with the issue, like being vehemently anti-vax and then coming down with Covid, and then coming out of the hospital telling everyone to get their vaccine.
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

In brighter news, Merck (a drug company) is testing a new treatment for Covid which seems promising. But they are only claiming a 50% reduction in hospital admissions / deaths. But that's still good if you end up in the lucky 50%. 

Drugmaker Merck says experimental pill cuts Covid-19 hospitalisations and deaths in half | Stuff.co.nz

Interestingly, Merck is the company that makes human grade Ivermectin, and they don't manufacture a vaccine. So they aren't suppressing Ivermectin  as a treatment in order to sell more expensive vaccines. If they thought it actually worked they could set up a study like they are doing with this new drug, show it was effective, and easily get it approved for Covid treatment.  It's already had the safety testing done, so approval for a new use would be straight forward. And they could sell a billion tablets of stuff, which would make the shareholders very happy. 

Instead they have gone through the process of researching a whole new drug, that's actually designed to interfere with the virus replication (at a safe to the patient dose). Slow down the replication of the virus, you don't get as sick, and you buy more time for your immune system to kick in. 

Another good point is that it's a tablet that you take as soon as symptoms appear. So if you get diagnosed with  Covid, or even suspected Covid, you can be given a handful of pills and sent home to take them. Doesn't need hospital admission like the antibody treatments. OK it's not going to be 100% effective, but at least the Doc will be able to give you something "useful". 

The vaccine is still more effective, but there are still those pesky breakthrough cases, so some useful  treatment is still going to be useful. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

The drug is an anti viral that was developed several years ago as a treatment for the common flu. 

Will be interesting to see how it works outside of the testing conditions.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

Quote from: barbender on October 01, 2021, 11:58:33 PM
I just learned of a lady I know passing from Covid. Maybe 60 or so, no health issues I know of. I guess the last time I saw her was a couple of months ago, there wasn't a thing wrong with her. I don't know for sure but I don't think she was vaccinated. Just very, very sad. I guess I say all of this to make a point. In the midst of the needed conversation about government mandates, lock downs etc and all of the political bantering that goes back and forth, it seems it is forgotten among many that I usually agree with that this is a dangerous disease that is killing people. Not just people that had one foot in the grave, either. This gal that just passed, and another gal that passed last summer that lived just down the road, would still be here and would likely have many years left on this earth if it wasn't for Covid. A gal I went to school with, maybe 42, got it and about didn't make it. It reminds of a guy I knew. He hated seatbelts. Old school. Refused to wear one and thought less of you if you did. Well then he and his wife were in heavy fog on the interstate one morning, ended up in an about 40 car pile up. They got banged up pretty bad. Well all of the sudden he was very pro seat belt. It seems like a lot of that with the Covid situation, too. I don't want my position to be based on the fact that I just haven't had to deal with the issue, like being vehemently anti-vax and then coming down with Covid, and then coming out of the hospital telling everyone to get their vaccine.
I'm like that old guy, but for me it's different, I just don't think any entity should tell you what you can or can't do given it doesn't effect anyone else. I do wear my seatbelt, and believe in it, every time I strap it up I'm thinking I wanna return home alive again to my life I love. I do not believe they should be mandatory though, like helmets, although I do wear one when quading or when I cycle(rarely lol ) 
The end of the day it don't really bother me THAT much because...I'm not gonna get a ticket because I'm gonna wear my seatbelt regardless, but the the principle of being forced don't sit well. You may lose some idiots that wouldn't use this stuff if it wasn't enforced but to me that's a trade off that's worth it in the name of true freedom.
A1

Dan_Shade

The impact to other people is insurance costs.

My guess is that many health insurance premiums are going to increased this year. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

leeroyjd

Mooseherder

Hilltop366

Barbender's post reminded me of the story of a flood, when the water was up to his waste the guy refused a ride to safety in a canoe saying "God will save me", later when the water was up to the top floor window he refused a ride in a rescue boat saying "God will save me" and finally he is on the roof with the water up to his neck and a helicopter over head but he waves them off saying "God will save me" soon after he drowns and goes to heaven where he asked God " I put my faith in you but yet you let me drown, why have you forsaken me?" God replies " I have not forsaken you I sent you two boats and a helicopter!"

Paul_H

A 70 year old farmer died at home here a couple weeks ago about a week after getting the jab.He had been in our shop a month before to pick up a pump. You just never know do you?

barbender

Just to be clear, I am not in any way in favor of vaccine mandates. I guess I'm trying to draw light on the human tendency to downplay the seriousness of an issue, as long as it isn't affecting them. 
Too many irons in the fire

Paul_H

I understand that from your posts, you are fair minded.  This has been on my heart two men I know personally that have died suddenly.

beenthere

Quote from: Paul_H on October 02, 2021, 10:13:48 AM
A 70 year old farmer died at home here a couple weeks ago about a week after getting the jab.He had been in our shop a month before to pick up a pump. You just never know do you?
Doesn't mean a thing. No one knows what tomorrow will be. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Quote from: beenthere on October 02, 2021, 11:37:57 AM

Doesn't mean a thing. No one knows what tomorrow will be.
The other guy was two hours after the jab but have it your way. :)

HemlockKing

Maybe we need to start preparing more doctors for the future as we seem to have another permanent influenza. How far do you take it with the vaccine %? NZ has 90 and that isn't even enough.... So we're just suppose to keep all these restrictions for good? The vaccinated can STILL spread the virus... so  does that mean we should also just permanently wear masks forever? 

So if the virus is gonna circulate wether we're all vaccinated or not then maybe we should adjust. I don't think we can expect the US or Canada 90% vax rate, so I guess we'll be in restrictions forever. Of course if we did make it to 90, goal posts would be moved again, like NZ. 
A1

repmma

Quote from: leeroyjd on October 02, 2021, 07:29:38 AM
Ochsner will make unvaccinated spouses of employees pay 0 per month to remain insured | Health care/Hospitals | nola.com

Insurance companies fining $200 per month for unvaccinated spouses.
Any companies doing that for the fat diabetics who guzzle Coke and dine at McDs (supersized of course) all week?
When do we the people get to tell others what to eat based on their weight/health and the impact on the system?  Obesity is the number 1... 2 killer no?  Its for the "greater good" when we talk resources, or is that to much... for now. 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Dan_Shade

Some policies have higher premiums for tobacco users.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mooseherder

Higher premium from the China virus. Gave everyone rabies from our own funding.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 02, 2021, 01:01:18 PM
Some policies have higher premiums for tobacco users.
How would they enforce that exactly/know someone was smoking?
A1

Thank You Sponsors!