iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire place mantel

Started by Bogue Chitto, May 11, 2012, 08:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

Any one make fire place mantels with a sawmill? ???

Fil-Dill

Cut 6 of them out for a new house. They were all osage orange. Not sure how they turned out. Also cut a few out of pecan, and red elm. All were left rustic with saw marks. Also did a few corbels for underneath the mantels.
EZ boardwalk 40

Bogue Chitto

I have a big sinker cypress log.  Thinking about making fireplace mantels out of it.

Kansas

Leave a live edge on them. Those are popular. I would not cut them until someone wanted one. Then tell them to sand and seal as fast as they can. Everyone has a different idea of what they want for a mantel.

ohsoloco

My uncle gave me some white cedar logs a few years back.  One of the butt logs had this hanger in it.  Part of it was grown over, but it still swung freely.  That enabled me to saw around it, as close as I dared to go  ;)  I know I was cringing when I made these last few cuts  :D

Bogue Chitto

That's a good conversation piece.  8)

Brucer

I cut several every year. Square, rectangular, thin and very wide. Long ones, short ones, some with live edges. I have never cut two the same.

There is no way to predict what the customer will want, but they always want them dry ::).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redbeard

That is cool cutting around that hanger and nice looking mantel. Captureing the spike knots and leaveing the live edge gives alot of character, I try to show a branch knot  centered on the thickness. 2-1/4"  you can always resaw it into 1" boards if it dont sell.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Cedarman

Have an order for 250 pieces of ERC from 5" x 8' to 12" x 12' and everything in between.  One live edge.  Those and 6000' of lumber from the sides make a full truck load. And they need them now.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I sawed 6 ERC mantels for a customer two weeks ago.  I guess that they are for sale  ???

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bugdust

Last summer I sawed 3 out of black walnut. They were beautiful just rough, can't wait to see them after the gentleman completes them. He was expecting to make $600.00 each.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bogue Chitto

Sinker Cypress I cut for the fireplace mantle.

Bogue Chitto

nas

I usually have a few around the yard.  I cut them 3-6" thick and 8-12" wide, usually with 1 live edge.  If someone wants the live edge cut off it's easy to throw on the mill for a minute and do it.
  A couple of years ago I cut a walnut mantel that was 6x20x17'long with 1 live edge for a person.  He had to put it in his basement.  I told him I hoped he had lots of friends to help him.  I think it weighed about 700lbs :o

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Dave Tarheels

We build custom mantels . What you looking for ? If I can help let me know . I have a facebook page with some pics https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-Valley-Builders/140847272659605
LT 20 Woodmizer

WDH

I cut a number of them.  I usually cut them 4" thick and 12" wide. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: Dave Tarheels on May 14, 2012, 01:38:46 AM
We build custom mantels . What you looking for ? If I can help let me know . I have a facebook page with some pics https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-Valley-Builders/140847272659605
Something that  sells the best.

Dave Tarheels

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on May 14, 2012, 09:01:08 AM
To be honest a paint grade mantel sells the most and they tend to get the one in the middle price range I offer . Do you sale mantels or looking for ideas ?
LT 20 Woodmizer

ForestMan

Mesquite mantles are popular.  I have been thinking of cutting a few, but I'm not sure how to treat them after they are cut, since I have never done it.  How do you dry them, in a regular kiln?  Or do you need to dry them?  How do you finish them?
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: Dave Tarheels on May 14, 2012, 12:51:30 PM
Quote from: Bogue Chitto on May 14, 2012, 09:01:08 AM
To be honest a paint grade mantel sells the most and they tend to get the one in the middle price range I offer . Do you sale mantels or looking for ideas ?
Looking for ideas.

Dave Tarheels

Quote from: ForestMan on May 14, 2012, 02:12:35 PM
Mesquite mantles are popular.  I have been thinking of cutting a few, but I'm not sure how to treat them after they are cut, since I have never done it.  How do you dry them, in a regular kiln?  Or do you need to dry them?  How do you finish them?

Last year I was kiln drying but as of now I have been air drying , it's been working out cause the economy has slowed down so much ( demand) To be honest cost / demand . We are actually moving into Solar Kilns and we will have them running in few weeks .
LT 20 Woodmizer

Dave Tarheels

Quote from: Bogue Chitto l . I have a facebook page with some pics https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-Valley-Builders/140847272659605
/quote] Something that  sells the best.
[/quote]Looking for ideas.
[/quote]  I have a half dozen models I make like a production style but a lot of times customers will find one in a catalog etc , and I duplicate it for them. A lot of times I make them and never get pictures of them only the past year have we really been trying to post pictures on web sites etc .  Facebook will be the easiest way to see photos today . let me look for the link to show you my most popular model . 

LT 20 Woodmizer

WDH

Here is a very nice piece of wood.  On second thought, it is a beautiful piece of wood!  I cut this slab just above the pith.  The rough beam was 4" thick, 12" wide, and was 10' long.  It was sawn about 20 months ago, so it is not completely dry, but it is dead flat and straight.  I cut out the mantle section from the rough beam and sealed the new cut ends with anchorseal (several coats in fact).  The anchorseal can stay on the ends to prevent any checks and can be sanded off later when the piece is drier.  Then I cut the two corbels and planed all the pieces.

I know that some like live edges and a lot of knots character, but this piece of black walnut is almost perfectly clear.  This customer will be getting an exceptional mantle.  The wood will speak for itself.

The corbels are just placed on the top for the picture.  They will actually go underneath the top face that is showing.  I think that the little splash of cream colored sapwood adds a lot of character to the piece.  It naturally draws the eye.  The corbel on the far side also has a streak of cream along the back edge.

I love working with beautiful wood, and walnut is the very best  8).  (I like cherry, too  ;D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

There's nothing worse than "andy checks". :D :D :D

That's a mighty fine looking hunk of walnut, WDH.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

GMN,  I fixed it........... :).  You can't have andy checks  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!