iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire place enclosure

Started by Texas Ranger, May 29, 2012, 10:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

1920's era oak fireplace enclosure I rebuilt and refinished.

Stripped
[br>

A time consuming but fun project.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

fishpharmer

TR, the quartersawn character of that piece is really beautiful.  Great finish too.  Do you know any history about it?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Planman1954

As Larry the Cable guy would say, "Now dat's a nice lookin' piece right thar!"
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Texas Ranger

Fish, I did it for a client, he got the piece when his sister went out of antique business 20 years ago in San Antonio, the construction on it seems to be early 1900's.  Every joint was loose, the finish had been carbonized by time and heat.  It is all solid wood, even the turned posts.  The post had split, as rounds will do, and the split was on the back side of the set up.  There appears to be a couple of species of oak involved, both red and white, as well as what I suspect might be chestnut.

Regular stripper did not work on the finish, I ended up walnut hull blasting the old finish off, then sanding smooth.  I wasted a whole lot of time trying to chemical strip that thing.

Clam77

Looks real nice TR!!   Ready for another 100 years of service..     8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

sprucebunny

Nice ! I love the old oak things like that. Most of the ones I stripped were shellac and it came off nicely with denatured alcohol.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Beautiful piece.  You did a fine job!  The character of that wood is outstanding.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

The walnut media did a great job removing the old finish.  That wood look brand new. :)

Are we going to see it installed?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Awesome job Don!!   8)

That is a very nice piece and really looks great now.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

I hope to get a picture of it installed, owner was highly pleased and seemed willing to have me in to gloat.

Texas Ranger

Spruce Bunny, I tried every stripper I could find, alcohol, and all the other hol's I could find at Lowes.  I don't know what they used back then, but I really think the heat carbonization did something to the finish.

Norm

Tree Feller

That's some serious ray-fleck figure in that antique oak. Great job on restoring a worthy piece of furniture.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

Love a good mantle.  Does the mirror mount above?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

samandothers

Those are fantastic looking pieces.   There is one picture under the 'couple more' where a piece is sitting on the concrete drive. I looks like the front side of the top piece of a side board. Is that the mantle?  I am thrown off a bit by what looks like a board across the bottom and no blocks at the bottom of the columns.

clww

Fantastic end to your hours of work, TR! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Magicman

You did an outstanding job of breathing new life into that fine old piece.  Your pride is quite justified.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

SAMANDOTHERS,  those are two pieces to the same fire place enclosure, the one sitting on the concrete fits on top the other piece, with the glass in it.  Close to nine feet tall.

samandothers

AHHHHHH
I see it now!  Duh....

Beautiful piece!  That will really set a room off and be a focal point.

Thank You Sponsors!