iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln

Started by Carl_B, July 10, 2003, 07:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Yep, me neither, just wanted to make sure he knew about the other lead still being hot and that it could be a potential problem.

Mark

Jacar

OK Electricians,

First, I appreciate all of your input.

Here is what I did.  Coming off a breaker the I have # 12 wire going to the fans.  Remember these fans run on 220. On one of the hot wires( turned the breaker off first!) I connected the themostat from my attic fans in line.  So far it works.  Just have to get the temp select correct.  It is not very accurate.  

One concern I have is that the wires in the themostat are #16.  Is that ok?  

Thanks Jacar :)

Jack Watkins

woodhaven

You'll be Ok,
 Just remember like the other guys were saying always turn off the breaker before doing any service on the fan circuit. Cause one leg will always be hot.The #16 may or may not be ok it depends on the amperage of the fan. Also don't let the 220 volt fool you. Your wire sizes will be smaller on 220 than 110 for the same amps because it's divided between 2 legs.
Richard

Jacar

Thanks,

After I posted I went and checked the amp draw on my fan motors and they draw 0.80 amps each.  The fans the thermostats were on drew 3.5 amps @110 volts. so that means there is less current flowing thru it now than the original application.

Jacar
Jack Watkins

Fla._Deadheader

If the switches are not too expensive, why not put one in each hot leg??? They will both turn off, but, maybe not at the exact same time, though ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodhaven

Somebody pull FDH's electrical license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

What'd I do??? What'd I do ??? I din't mean it, really !!!!!! :o :D :D :D :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Hi Jacar,
     You could put a close on rise adj. snap disc on each line. They can be adlusted to close at between 90 to 130 deg.  I thnk I would use one disc or a furnace fan-limit swith
and 24 volt transformer connected to a DP relay to turn both fans on and off using low voltage as the control. Same system your gas or oil furnace uses to control temp in your house.  You could probably go to a HVAC contractor and get some used controlls for a few bucks.  If not let me know and I can round you up some from my favorite junkyard.  
    Plan to build a kiln soon and glad to hear yours is doing well.  I have 20 double pane patio doors I plan to use for the solar collectors. Had 21 till the skid steer got to close.
    Welcome and good luck with your first charge.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!