iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lantern Box

Started by metalspinner, June 11, 2012, 05:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Here's a lantern box I put together this weekend.

Several of you know I collect Coleman lanterns.  I like to use the lanterns in the collection, but taking them out into the wilderness worries me that they will get damaged during transit.  This box should help them arrive safely. :)

The wood is dawn redwood that is dovetailed together. The dovetail jig and routers were already set up so what the heck.  Dawn redwood is very soft and lightweight so I was worried about its machining characteristics.  I had to be careful during test fitting with the sharp edges that I wouldn't chip them up, but all in all no major problems. The front and back panels are 3/8" thick and floating within the frame.

This is my first leather making project. I discovered a whole new industry of tools I do not have.  It's amazing how many new tools there are left to buy. ;D Making this little handle is a lot like origami.

The window sash latch is something I already had on hand...

Plenty of storage for any lantern needs. These two lanterns were manufactured in February of 1971.  That was a fine month and year if I do say so myself. ;)

The hardware for my handle uses .5 milimeter screws and they do not come in very long lengths.  Hence the huge countersinks up underneath the top. ::)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

clww

That looks fantastic! When I saw the first photo, I thought that case was going to be the one going into a protective box. Great work and finishing paint.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

Very nice.

I need one for my compact lantern, I always thought I would find something for the job but never did.

Dan_Shade

very nice, I too thought "where's the box to protect the lanterns"

Tell us a bit about your lantern collection.  How old are the ones you are showing, are they hurricane lanterns?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Very nice indeed and I am a fan of those mortice free hinges.  I have a well used 1966 lantern like that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It looks great, and I love red!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Dan,
These lanterns are Coleman's 200A and are mostly used as camping lanterns.  They were manufactured for many years (50's -70's) and have become the iconic image for Coleman.  The "Little Red Lanterns" are my favorite.  A fun thing to do as a collector is to acquire a lantern from the year and month of your birth.  I have 2. :) 

Notice the lantern on the right has a "Fleur-de-lis" and "BSA" etched into the glass. That was an experiment.  The globes are made by Pyrex and are extremely hard.  My uncle etched that for me with his sandblaster.  He etches wine glasses and things for sale at craft shows.  But this Pyrex was so hard it gave him fits. When my son earned the Arrow of Light as a cub scout,  we etched that into his lantern globe.  It's kind of fun to see when glowing. :)

I have about a dozen others ranging from the 30's through modern ones. All are Coleman.  I found most of them on Ebay and go through buying fits occasionally.  In fact, tonight there was a beautiful Feb/1971 single burner stove ending, but I blew this month's fun budget on leatherworking tools. ::)

I'll get some pics of the collection later tonight.

MM,
I think I have a 1966, too.

Hilltop,
I looked and looked for a good sized box or tote to store and transport these in, but just wasn't satisfied.

metalspinner

Here are some pics of lanterns I have here in the house. There are many others out in the shed. ::)

Coleman LP 5122 from 1971.

Recognize the little yellow fuel can?

This one is unusual because of the LP tank that screws into the font. These tanks are no longer sold.  Anyone have a surplus of them tucked away in the shed?

This is my oldest. Coleman Quicklite dated 4/11 (1911)  I bought it because it has a mica shade.

1962 Model 200.  I want to find an amber globe for this one.

11/1971 Model 200.  A guy in Knoxville collects and restores lanterns. This is one of his custom paint jobs.

10-1971 Model 228F

242B don't know the year, though.

Along with the little red lanterns, these are my favorites, too.

The one on the left is a 236 1961 and the one on the right is a 237 1966.  I will give these a full breakdown and restoration some day. The nickle plate should polish up OK.  If I get crazy, I'll have them replated. Perhaps a nice carrying case, too? :)

clww

Most impressive collection you are working on! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: metalspinner on June 11, 2012, 09:31:54 PM
MM,
I think I have a 1966, too. 

But I personally bought mine new.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

MM,

That might make you a collector's item, too  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

:)  Maybe I should refer to myself as being a collectable  ???   ::)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:  Collectable (aka collector's item) is any object regarded as being of value or interest to a collector.

Nope, I failed that test, but I am a collection of worthless items.

metalspinner

:D

Magicman,
You had great insight to buy into this collector's market from the beginning. Were you on top of the Beanie Baby craze, too? :D

Magicman

No, but our oldest Granddaughter was.

When you said that you collected lanterns, I did not know that you collected them.  Your array is awesome.

Magicman

Quote from: metalspinner on June 12, 2012, 08:47:30 AM
Magicman,  You had great insight to buy into this collector's market from the beginning. 

Yes, but I have only bought one, and since I only have one, my lantern box is a "one holler".  The lantern goes in upside down and rest on a square of foam to protect the mantles. 

How 'bout my reflector?  it works well when floundering.

Warbird

Really cool project, 'spinner.

Radar67

That is a nice project. What type paint did you use?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

metalspinner

Kilzs spray primer sanded to 320 grit then all little holes and gaps were filled and sanded.  Then a couple coats of Rustoleum's Regal Red aerosol. The new hefty spray nozzles lay down a nice coat of paint.

I had to touch up a couple of areas after the initial coats had dryed and those spots stand out from the rest. probably should follow up with another complete coat. ::)

WDH

There are several very nice features to the lantern box.  Not all lanterns are so lucky as to get a box like that one.

Lud

I've heard that having 3 of something is a collection.   I seem to have a lot of collections!

Great looking lamps and the traveling box makes a lot of sense.  You might have some of those clear , air-filled , packing pillows  to prevent rattle.  Better than those styrofoam beads. :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

metalspinner

Lud,
It sounds like have just one collection... a collection of collections.

Lud

Tools and tools and tools...........and a few toys.   

But I only have one wife!  Can you imagine three of them?  Those Mormons are craaaazy!!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

metalspinner

We leave for Boy Scout camp on Friday.  This year we are having our own camp at a family farm.  Because the camp sight is in the middle of a hayfeild, I thought some nice lighting was in order.

The legs are 1 1/4" square and 8' high cut form poplar.

I cut the aluminum tubing at 10 degrees and welded them to an aluminum plate. A stainless hook holds the lantern. I still need to drill a hole into each tube to insert a pin to hold the legs in place.

I would like to spin a nice roof for it, but time is running out fast before the trip, so I'll complete it after next week. 

Magicman

Very nicely done as usual.   smiley_thumbsup

sandhills

Very nice!  I really like the yard around it to, good work  :)

Thank You Sponsors!