iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for someone with wide planer in north central FL

Started by Ocklawahaboy, April 15, 2013, 09:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

I have an elderly friend that has some 22" wide old growth cypress boards she's been wanting planed for years.  They have sentimental value to her.  Problem is that the widest planer for hire we know of around here is 18". I'd love it if someone within an hour or two drive of Ocala FL that could plane these for her. 
Any ideas?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Idea 1: Call around to cabinet shops and see if anybody had a wide sander setup wide enough to handle the job.

Idea 2: Make a router sled jig and use a router to "smooth" it out, then follow up with random orbit sander, start coarse (80 grit or coarser...) and work your way up to 150 - 220 depending on final finish requirements.

Good Luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

beenthere

Nice boards. What is the lady planning to use the planed cypress for?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: beenthere on April 15, 2013, 11:26:43 AM
Nice boards. What is the lady planning to use the planed cypress for?
She props them up around the house and looks at them.  Occasionally they become a room divider or something.  As near as I can remember her family owned a spot on the ocklawaha called "log landing". Its on few maps.  They had a large cypress there and had it milled right before the land was condemned as part of the cross fl barge canal project.  It was their boat launch, hunting and fishing spot and those boards are her connection to it.  The location is now part of the canal. 

Fla._Deadheader

I worked in a furniture factory for a few weeks, one time, and they had 24" & 30" wide belt sanders. The guy at Tom's Cypress up your way, has or had a long belt sander, that you used your hand inside an asbestos type mitten, to sand table cookies with. Most furniture factories would have these too, I would think.

That infamous canal to nowhere. What a joke, just like Rodman Reservoir.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ellmoe

I may be purchasing a wide planer in a month or two. I've got to digest a couple of other purchases first. I'll let you know when I do it.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: ellmoe on April 15, 2013, 09:57:54 PM
   I may be purchasing a wide planer in a month or two. I've got to digest a couple of other purchases first. I'll let you know when I do it.
Mark
You're right down the road.  Thanks for the heads up.

dchiapin

I'm just up the road in Melrose.
I have a 20" Powermatic planer, so just a little too narrow for her needs.
My wife used to live in Orange Springs and her best friends owned the ferry there, the Orange Springs ferry is gone because of the reservoir.

Charlie Mac

OK, here's my first post. introduction to follow.
  I can't help but feel there's got to be someone around with a few hand planes that knows how to use them. Quicker, quieter, and a glasslike surface. Barring nasty grain changes,making the two faces parallel, thicknessing down, or getting rid of wind might be a little more involved. Just to flatten, smooth, and polish should be a piece of cake. This would be my first choice.

-Regards, Charlie

Ianab

Welcome to the forum Charlie.

I agree that a hand plane and a bit of skill will get the job done very nicely. Having neither a hand plane, or the skill to drive one, I use a router on those big slabs. You can build a dedicated router bridge, but I use my mill frame and rails, with the router bolted to a cradle on the carriage.

Details here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,11464.0.html

It's something you can fabricate with a couple of straight boars and some plywood. One job like that would pay for the cost of it.

Peterson and Lucas also sell a Planer Blade that bolts in place of the saw blade and gives you a ~20 hp rotary planer. But you needs a mill and they aren't cheap. I don't do enough to justify one, but my router jig works well enough. The finish isn't as good a a hand plane would leave, but it's ready for some sanding. It also works with crazy grain, end grain, burls etc.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ocklawahaboy

I've never thought of using a router for that purpose.  Its probably more than I want to get into too.  I'm happy to load her boards onto the trailer and drive them somewhere for half a day but what would amount to me expiramenting on them probably isn't going to go over well.  Thanks for the insight into tool use though.  Maybe Red Green was right, "any tool can be the right tool"

Ianab

Fair enough about not using those sentimental pieces as guinea pigs  ;)

A quick look on Youtube bought up this commercial version from Australia, the Woodwizz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQglnq2gHQ

And then up pops member Weisyboy using a planer blade on a Lucas mill to achieve the same thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itgnta-Qurc

But a home made router bridge need not be as fancy as those.

My motto is there is usually more than one way to get a woodworking job done, which is along the same lines as "any tool can be the right tool" :D

So a huge planer, a wide belt sander, a hand plane or a router can all get the job done. Which one is the "right" one more depends on which one you actually have at the time  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pigman

I think Ian has pork on his mind. First he is talking about straight boars and then he mentions guinea pigs.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Smokydave

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on April 15, 2013, 09:32:25 AM
I have an elderly friend that has some 22" wide old growth cypress boards she's been wanting planed for years.  They have sentimental value to her.  Problem is that the widest planer for hire we know of around here is 18". I'd love it if someone within an hour or two drive of Ocala FL that could plane these for her. 
Any ideas?
Wish you were in NC I would be happy to plane boards for her I have a 24 inch Woodmaster

Thank You Sponsors!