iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The flooring adventure BEGINS.....

Started by hillbillyhogs, May 11, 2013, 09:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyhogs

So, got this hair up my butt to make 2000 square foot of oak flooring, 2" finished face width, 7/8" thick. Picked up one of the woodmaster 725 new, if you want my take on the woodmaster then pm me.
Will NOT be doing back relief as Dr. Gene and other wise men twice my age say its pointless. Once all of the blanks are ripped then I'll run the T&G and end match, yes end match, why you ask, because I can and have the time to fool with it, plain and simple.

As they say online.... no pics=it didn't happen so, here's some pics.

Woodmaster set to rip two 2 1/2" blanks, it would handle the third blade but, came with two

Finish pile of flooring blanks ready to get T&G

Don't try this at home, I use a blower overhead to throw the dust out the door

Right hand stack is planed to 7/8" and straight line ripped (worth every dime the SLR that is) not nearly enough there for 2k feet of floor but, a good start probably 1000 ft of floor once all ripped to width

Tree Feller

Looks good and sounds like you have a plan. I like the pics.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WmFritz

Nice looking stacks. My knees start hurtin at the thought of putting down all that floor. ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hillbillyhogs

I've been building/laying floors for close to 20 years, since I was a kid. I didn't have a pneumatic floor nailer until last year. I get by.

I wanted 1 1/4" wide , house I grew up in has it, I was afraid of too much warp/twist in it

Magicman

I know someone that would have had a much easier time with his flooring if he would have had access to something like that.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hillbillyhogs

Quote from: Magicman on May 11, 2013, 10:24:27 PM
I know someone that would have had a much easier time with his flooring if he would have had access to something like that.   :)

For ripping, planing or what??
BTW, you can borrow anything I own anytime you want!!

Magicman

For all of the above.  I went from rough lumber to flooring with a lunchbox planer and hand tools.  :-\  But I should finish up by Tuesday so it will be history then.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hillbillyhogs

Planing and ripping is ok with the WM but, I wouldn't begin to think about T&G with it. Shaper and power feeder will knock that out.

Magicman

Quote from: hillbillyhogs on May 12, 2013, 12:10:35 PMI wouldn't begin to think about T&G with it. Shaper and power feeder will knock that out.

Yup, I also know about the knocked out part, but I think that it was me.   :-\   ;D

hillbillyhogs

I know whatcha mean, I doubled the "ready flooring blank" pile today, close to 500 sq. ft. in it now and I must be nuts.  It's hell by yourself but, worth it in the end..... I guess ???

hillbillyhogs

Saving scraps for cabinet face frames, etc.

500' done on left side , Only three more packs like that and I'll be done

Scraps haven't been that bad

beenthere

hillbillyhogs
If me, I'd be stickering those rips right away so any climatic change can effect at least both faces evenly as you wait to further process the rips into flooring.

Even slight changes in relative humidity can cause pieces to move and that leads to frustration when further moulding into flooring.

If me, I wouldn't rip up the wide pieces until ready to feed the rips through your flooring equipment. Removes that chance to move around. But that isn't always so easy to do.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hillbillyhogs

I wish I could rip 'em and feed 'em on through the shaper but, it just wont work for me with the space I have and all the other junk I have laying around. I am going to "wrap" the bundles of 500' up with plastic though. Won't be more than a couple weeks before it's all done.

THANKS FOR THE TIP

Thank You Sponsors!