iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the best use for black gum

Started by hackberry jake, February 04, 2016, 11:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I sold a test printing machine on eBay and I had to build a crate to ship it. I used some propeller stock I had of black gum and some cheap 1/4" plywood. It worked great! I predrilled most of the screw holes, but I'll bet the gum didn't require it.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Kbeitz

I just sold my last thing on E-bay... Never again.
I had posted no returns on what I sold.
E-bay has changed there policy..
If someone dose not like what they bought they can just send it back and you pay the shipping both ways.
When filling for a return one of the things you can check off is.
I just don't like it...
I'm done. Great place to buy. But not for selling.
What I sold was 3 antique electric motors. I posted
As with any used piece of equipment, does not have any warranty.
You also agree by reading the description that you accept the item "AS IS."
Please check the pictures carefully, all items offered as pictured and sold as-is, as shown

Words dont mean anything anymore to E-bay.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ozarker

Nice use of the gum, Jake!

Regarding Kbeitz's post:

Here's the part that isn't widely understood about returns: Under the Uniform Commercial Code, which all states have adopted, a buyer has a three-day period in which to return items. This covers "buyer's remorse." So, it doesn't matter that the seller states "no returns," "as is," etc. But, it sounds like eBay has taken it even further, which doesn't surprise me. They've been off-balance, more and more, for years, and the sellers are the ones supposed to suck it up. Return shipping for return items ought to be on the buyer, as long as there was no fault of the seller.

jueston

to join the sidebar about ebay, i had a pretty active business on ebay, making a few hundred transactions a month. my items were smaller and most of the time not worth paying for return shipping, there was always a small percentage of people who would buy something, and then email and say it wasn't high enough quality and they wanted a refund.
my options were
1. let them keep the product and give them a full refund.
2. pay to have them ship back the item(because of its nature i couldn't resell it after that) and then give them a full refund.

i just accepted this as a cost of business for a while, but as the number of people doing this went higher and higher i eventually gave up.

at ebay the buyer always wins, no matter what.

i always had the option for insurance, because the items i was selling were small almost no one selected it, but when it was damaged in shipment they would always come after me and ebay would side with them saying i had to send a new one.

ebay has chosen there side, and there is no shortage of people selling things, so it must be working for them.

Magicman

I do not sell but always buy and eBay has become my choice because I can generally find free shipping.  I have never returned anything bought on eBay or Amazon.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

azmtnman

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2016, 08:43:02 PM
I do not sell but always buy and eBay has become my choice because I can generally find free shipping.  I have never returned anything bought on eBay or Amazon.
That's because you are an ethical, honest person. Sadly, ethics and honesty are increasingly in short supply.
  My son works at a big name sporting goods retailer (in the western states). Some lady shopped for a while bringing individual items up to the cash register. When she was finished, she had 31 items that rang up just over $1000. She said she forgot her wallet in the car, went to retrieve it and never came back!  :D :D
   Ain't nobody got time for that! If people spent the time being productive, helpful people that they spend being  smiley_furious , the world would be a better place. Window shopping is one thing. Doing at the time and expense of others is another.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on February 06, 2016, 07:42:17 AM
Quote from: hackberry jake on February 04, 2016, 11:43:26 AM
I used some propeller stock I had of black gum

Ain't that the truth.
I just figured out what Propeller stock is,  I reckon this stuff is hard to dry straight and flat?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Oh the trials and tribulations of spiral grain  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

The propeller stock threw me a curve.
In my neck of the woods, Yellow birch was sold for propeller stock at a premium.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

With blackgum, you don't even have to shape the propeller.  It self shapes  :D. 

Thank You Sponsors!