iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer 2013 Personal Best

Started by Magicman, June 02, 2013, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This year's Personal Best Contest included a "People's Choice" award.

This LINK takes you to this year's entries.  (It may take a few seconds for the page to load.)

If you believe that my entry is deserving, then I ask for your vote.  Brian said that you can vote weekly.

This is the last week to vote and my entry is now on page 4.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

My pad comes up with a security issue with the WM web site. :-*
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

I was kinda disappointed that the narrative describing the project did not show up.   :-\

(My narrative is in Reply #6 below.)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Link worked fine on my Mac mini desk top.
Congratulation on making the vote Lynn,

DGD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I did not recognize any of the people that entered.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 02, 2013, 08:46:20 AM
I was kinda disappointed that the narrative describing the project did not show up.   :-\

I clicked on the pic of each entry and pics and info showed up. Very nice work to all.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I would not ask for your vote unless you believed that my entry is deserving and since my narrative does not show up, I will add it here:

Some of our Macedonia Baptist Church members became involved in a food mission to an area close to War, WV.  This area has high unemployment due to advanced coal mining technology, plus flooding had caused devastating damages.  The problem was that there was no building suitable to serve as a food distribution center.

A building was badly needed, so we devised a plan.  A landowner would donate the suitable logs for the necessary lumber.  I would donate my Wood-Mizer, sawing skills, and time not only to saw the lumber, but also my wife and I would make the trip to West Virginia to help build the 16'X24' building.

With volunteer help, I sawed out Southern Yellow Pine 2X12 floor joists and 2X4's & 2X6's for the studs, roof trusses, and lathing, plus Yellow Poplar 1X12's and 1X4's for the siding.  I also split some bridge timbers that would be used as sills.  All of the lumber was stickered for drying.

A building schedule was established, everyone marked their calendars, and a few days before our departure, the lumber was loaded onto a trailer.  We formed a small caravan, overnighted in Knoxville, Tn., had our Sunday School lesson in the campground, experienced a vehicle mechanical failure on the interstate, and  still arrived at our destination that afternoon in time for church services.

Work began  early Monday morning setting the foundation pads, blocks, and sills.  Next it was floor joist and then plywood subflooring.  This gave us a level building platform on which to lay out and construct the roofing trusses.  With these trusses completed and set aside, we could begin our stud wall construction. 

The necessary permits had been secured, so the electrical wiring was started and completed soon after the roof trusses were raised.  Next came lathing and the building was capped off with a metal roof.  Meanwhile, the windows and door had been installed and purlings had been placed so that the Yellow Poplar board & batten siding could be installed.  The walls and ceiling were insulated and fluorescent lighting strips were hung.   OSB was used as wall paneling the ceiling was sheathed with plywood.  A ramp was built so that a dolly could be used when unloading food. 

As a side note, a miscalculation had been made and we lacked having two pieces of roofing.  The local building supply store had only two pieces of green roofing.  They were the wrong color, but longer and extended over the doorway and ramp.  We took that as a good sign.

This project had begun with an idea, and a Wood-Mizer Sawmill.  It continued with a group of volunteers traveling to a location 740 miles away hauling a load of lumber and a dream.  We camped in an old churchyard, enjoyed meals that our wives cooked and served each day, and shared the fellowship of our friends as we spent each day with our labors.  It ended Friday when we could finally pause and admire the fruits of our week's work.   With the building completed, it was dedicated and the keys ceremoniously passed hands.

Our journey home was filled with the satisfaction of knowing that we had indeed helped a group of people that we did not know to somehow have a better life.

Andy White

MM
I went to the link you showed, and was able to look at entries and fill out questionair page, and then it let me vote. Will we be able to vote just once, or is it an every day thing ?   Good Luck         Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

giant splinter

The link worked on my MAC laptop, I voted and I think you did a fine job as well as saving a lot of money.
Nice milling and good job on the building, I bet you will have a lot of tough competition on the Personal Best contest ....... Best of luck and may the force be with you.
roll with it

Mooseherder

captain_crunch

Link worked for me and was able to vote
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

Quote from: Andy White on June 02, 2013, 10:52:01 AMWill we be able to vote just once, or is it an every day thing ? 
It looks like it is a One Vote per week contest.  Thank you for your vote.   :)

mikeb1079

i just voted, but you're right mm it would've been better had they included a narrative with the pics.  otherwise it just looks like you're building a building.   ;D

still, nice work!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Chuck White

Looked good seeing your name for the 1,000,000 BF Club membership Lynn!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

BrianVan

Morning Everyone!

My name is Brian Van Bokkelen and I'm the new PR guy for Wood-Mizer.  Thanks so much for the Personal Best interest and entries.  Magicman, thanks for setting up the thread and for your entry.  We're working to get everything fixed so that all the important entry content is viewable.  Long story short, we're working with a new web company to help run the contest and there really was no way to foresee the issues until they happened.  We're working on them and, with a little luck, everything will be set by the end of this afternoon.  I'll report back as soon as we get it all straightened out and fill in the blanks on other questions.  Thanks again!
Follow Wood-Mizer at http://facebook.com/woodmizer for exclusive updates and sawyer related news. 20,000+ fans to date. ;-) http://www.woodmizer.com

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Brian!

You'll find that this is a really nice forum and the management and membership are great to deal with.  Nice people.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Maybe because they're working on the page but I was unable to view any projects this morning.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

BrianVan

Thanks for the welcome!  The site should be set now so that all the entries will appear and then can be filtered by category.  More info fields were made public to read all the back-stories, and you can vote once/week.  We have some other submissions that haven't been finalized yet, and as soon as they're done, they will be made public.  Please share the contest and entries on your social media sites for the 'People's Choice Award' so the general public can place their votes.  If you happen to have issues navigating the site, please let us know so we can take a look.

Thanks again!
Follow Wood-Mizer at http://facebook.com/woodmizer for exclusive updates and sawyer related news. 20,000+ fans to date. ;-) http://www.woodmizer.com

GDinMaine

Link is working.  Thanks, Brian and welcome.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

downsouth

I went to the link, got to cast my vote. Next thing I know I'm building and pricing a brand new LT40.
   I have got to stay off that site. It's too tempting.
  Good luck MM

Magicman

Thanks and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Brian.  And thanks to everyone that has shown an interest in this Personal Best Contest.   :)

schakey

Cast my vote from motel room in Chicago using my IPad.
Good luck MM you are an inspiration to us all,as is all the members of FF. smiley_thumbsup
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

millwright

Link seems to be working fine, got in a voted. Good luck MM.

julio

brother  I just voted and it worked fine I will try back later
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

sandhills

Good luck Magicman, link worked fine and got my vote in.  Welcome to the forum Brian, some of your best pr  comes from a lot of members here.

Thank You Sponsors!