iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minimum size for Alaskan

Started by Jimbob, January 23, 2006, 02:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

Planning on getting an Alaskan Mark III, 24" size, to use on 10" to 16" yellow pine logs. I already have a Stihl MS290 with 18" bar. This is probably too underpowered even for this size softwood. If I purchased another Stihl, what would be the minimum size that I should get ?

KarlP

First of all I'd suggest getting a larger than 24" mill.  You can always put a 14" bar on a 44" mill.  Its a bit harder to go in the other direction if you come across a larger log some day.  Harbor Freight usually has a good deal on the 36" mills.

I personally wouldn't go smaller than an MS460 if you're talking about more than one or two logs.  Larger is almost always better with a mill.

Kevin

It depends on the other uses for the saw but I wouldn't go any less than 70cc for part time milling with a chain saw.
What ever mill you buy you will lose four inches in capacity when you install the saw.
I can tackle larger logs with a smaller mill because I take the sides off with the mini mill.

GlennG

I agree with KarlP. 046 minimum. If you can save for an extra month, wait and get a 066. You will be glad you did.  Once you get to milling, you won`t stop with just softwoods. Someday,  probably sooner than later,  you will come across some nice hardwood that  requires extra power. Milling is back braking misery without enough HP.  I have an 066   with 28" alaskan mill and I`m satisfied most of the time but I still wish for more power when milling wide stuff. PS, most stuff is wide stuff :D

Glenn

GlennG

Tip, when I first started miling with a chainsaw I wasted a lot of time and energy by sawing everything into wide slabs. I later found out it was easier to make one cut rotate the log 90 degrees and make the rest of the cuts.

Also try doing a google search for "chainsaw milling" . There are a ton of websites with great tips , pictures and other useful info.

Glenn

Mike_Barcaskey

I had a 460 magnum when I started playing with an Alaskan. coulpe months later I traded up to the 660 magnum. the 24" bar was about as much as the 460 could pull and the bar was never long enough.
I've got some chestnut oak laying over a customer's hill that I cant get to any other way, going to cut them today

GlennG, that avatar looks like a pic off Arborsite?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

ComputerUser

Everything that has been stated so far is correct.  Though I have yet to buy an Alaskan, I've done a fair amount of freehand ripping for rustic benches, tabletops, terrace-making using logs where they fall on some family property.  On material larger than 20" my Dolmar 7900 is working pretty hard.  At 28", it is SLOW going.

I also agree with the notion that while milling may start small you'll soon be coming across things that would be great to mill that are bigger.  So unless there is NO chance of this happening, I'd just go straight for a big saw.

If I were looking for a milling saw, I would not stop with an 660, unless I intended the saw to do double-duty as an everyday work saw.  I'd go straight to an Stihl 880 or Husqvarna 3120 or some other 100cc+ saw from years past - Stihl 076, 084, 090; Husqvarna 2100; and the huge old McCulloch and Homelites. 

There have been a fair number of low-hours 3120s offered for sale on arboristsite lately.  If memory serves there were a couple offered for $600-650. 

fishhuntcutwood

660.  I mill with my buddy's 660, and wouldn't want to use anything less.  We  mill predominantly soft wood, and the 660 work well, but again, I wouldn't want to go with anything less.  It's always better to have more saw than you need, than to need more saw than you've got.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

oldsaw

I agree with the 660/066 verdict.  I just took care of one of those 3120s on ArboristSite (Chopwood's).  When I'm going, I'm running in big logs anymore and the 066 just doesn't have the "oomph" pulling 25-30" cuts in oak or even walnut.  I'm looking forward to the extra power.

Granted, I'm being kind of dumb.  For the amount I actually get to use it, the 066 is adequate, and I have milled a good chunk of lumber with it, much of it on the bigger side of things for my 36" mill.  Listen to these guys, they are right on.  Get the 36" Alaskan and a 42" bar, you can get the 42" Oregon for about $75 from Baileys IIRC, and have them make up a couple of loops of their ripping chain (but make them 136 links, not 135...trust me on this one).  It's a lot of chain to pull, but with more cutters, you will have to sharpen it less.  I originally got a 36" bar with my 066, but that limits you to about 28" of cut, and I found myself using that up way too often.

Of course, if you like the reddish side of orange, a 395XP would work okay too.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

rebocardo

Going by my experience using a chainsaw mill with ripping chain, the Husky 365 was just enough for 14-16" oak running a 28" bar. If I was going to be on my knees most of the time or cut anything bigger, I would consider 85cc at the bare minimum. I don't know what Stihl model that translates into.

WoodSmith

The new Stihl 650 magnum is rated at  84.9cc.
I'm going to strap a 36" alaskan onto it with a 32" bar and ripe chain and cut 24" to 28" douglas fir.

oldsaw

Woodsmith, if you want to cut 28", you will need the 36" bar.  I know they tell you 4", but the amount of bar you use up is actually closer to 6...if you take the spikes off.  Since my 066 is currently doing double duty, I leave the spikes on and got 28" or so with the 36" bar.

Mark

FarmerGrant

I've got mine on a Solo Twin.  I forget what size mill it is.

Ironwood

Aww SHUCKS,

Given everyones input just get a fuel injected V-8 and mount the biggest bar you can find. I use a 394XP with much satisfaction I have a 32" and 72" Alaskan set up I made myself. The saw is also the biggest I would want to use for felling BIG trees.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

oldsaw

Reid, you can play with your 395, it works fine.  I've got some serious power addiction to deal with, so I'm getting a 3120.  I can hear your denial from here...yep, I'll only shy away from the 090 guys, and they're pretty scarce.  Got one in KC though.  Have to go see him in action one day.  Love to see one of those old dogs ripping a big old log.

Power Rules...when you are milling, and it isn't so bad bucking and felling either, but there I agree with you.  I'm keeping the 066 for that purpose.

Mark

Ironwood

I will be powering my one alaskan with 20-30 hp electric soon. I hate the noise of the powerhead! My mill is 40' and is not mobile. I will keep the mobile unit handy but don't use it much any more. I like to bring the logs here to my shop. I just got a new toy 14,000 lb forklift ;D

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Treasures

I have a 310 Stihl with a 20" bar and a Alaskan small log mill. I have nerve damage in my back and have no problem slabbing a 16" Hickory. It takes about 8 minutes for the 9' log,that is for one slab. It's slow but even the frugal can enjoy milling with a very small investment. Baily's recommends a 50cc minimum power head.  I'll attach a photo of the Hickory.
Small Alaskan Mill, 310 Stihl, Solar kiln,and small 1 man cabinet shop.

Thank You Sponsors!