iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what would you do with these oaks

Started by fishman, June 07, 2007, 06:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishman

first let me say this is the greatest knoweldge base anywhere, i have learned more here in 5 weeks ,than i have in the year i've had my saw (thanks arkansawyer for the website), i have a patch of ground in northern ark. that we are startin a house on and unfortunaly will have cut a 40 ' x 1500' powerline rightaway, its mostly oak 15" to 24' dbh, what is best use of these trees nothing will go to waste, i just hate to make firewood out of decent (though small) trunks. thanks in advance

Dave Shepard

What kind of oak? Red white? Timbers and flooring come to mind. Fencing, maybe skim the clear for furniture.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishman

Don_Papenburg

Any way that you can load them on a semi and ship htem to me ?  ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Faron

I would have some white oak flooring and maybe trim in that new house.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

rebocardo

> what is best use of these trees

T&G white oak flooring always sells for a good price.

Bibbyman

I'd get several bids and market the best for veneer logs and the majority of the rest for stave logs. Good white oak logs will bring more than the lumber sawn out of them!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishman

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on June 07, 2007, 10:47:34 PM
Any way that you can load them on a semi and ship htem to me ? ;D
if you can afford the  >:(fuel to get em to you,   loading them is the easy part ;D

Dodgy Loner

I know white oaks get a lot bigger, but I wouldn't exactly call a 20-24" white oak "small".  You ought to get plenty of good lumber out of them, even the 15-19 inchers.  I'm like you, I hate to use any tree for firewood that has the potential for a "higher" use.  I like the idea to use the trees to make flooring or paneling in your new house.  It would have a nice story behind it! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

MikeH

The absolute best thing to do would be to hire a sawyer to quartersaw them. Then have them dried and milled into flooring for the new house. You would never reget that!!!!!!!!!!  8)

Norm

The bigger ones will make great q-sawn lumber. The smaller ones I'd take the outside lumber off and box the hearts into 8x8 or 6x6 cants for future use.

I'm constantly digging through my white oak lumber to use for various projects around the farm. 

Nothing like having free lumber to make whatever you want whenever you want. :)

jgoodhart

Sell the real good logs and turn the rest into flooring and trim for the house.

WDH

Norm,

Are those vegetables in the white oak planter?  What's for supper?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Those are greens WDH, various kinds of loose leaf lettuce and some spinach. I built two of these and rotate different kinds of greens to use for salads through the summer.

I try to keep showing you what you're missing by not coming up here. ;D

WDH

Logs might not do it, but the food will :D ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!