iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pin Oaks

Started by tinker, August 11, 2004, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinker

I have two large Pin Oaks down in Marietta, Ga.
Are there any portable mill owners interested in going in halves.

dail_h

Welcome Tinker,It's a bit outta my territory,but there's a coupla guys on here from GA,maybe they can help
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sandmar

Tinker welcome. I am in Cartersville....let me have details and how to contact you. Thanks.

Sandmar

TomFromStLouis

I cannot help with your sawing but I am curious what you hope to do with the wood. Pin oak makes lousy lumber although pallet and tie buyers take them around here.

tinker

There are two trees. 1 is 23" in dia and the trunk is 32 feet long. the other is 32" in dia and the trunk is about 10 feet in dia.
You can contact me at (770)434-7787.

Didn't realize Pin Oak wasn't good for making nice stuff from. It may wind up in the fireplace then.

Thanks for the replys.

Buzz-sawyer

Really, dont waste time and money sawing it out....it will slit and check pretty bad....only good for pallets and ties as stated............keep looking youll find one worth cutting!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodhaven

Hold on just a second,
I have restored some antique pieces that needed some wood replacement. I have found that pin oak is a perfect match and replacement. You guys are right it looks like crap for something new. The knot cracks and old junk looking wood have been a gold mine to me a few times. If you wanted to build some kind of antique piece it actually looks like it is already 200 years old even fresh cut wood.
I had to replace a door on a hutch one time where there 2 doors side by side and you couldn't tell which one I replaced they so much alike.
Richard

Kirk_Allen

I agree with Woodhaven.

If your into any type of old style woodworking its perfect.

I have a local woodworker that called a couple of years ago and asked if I had any antique oak.  Not knowing what he meant he told me he was looking for Pin Oak.  After that experience I have had the chance to cut several large Pin Oaks and the first one I cut last year has all been sold as antique oak at $2.00 bf air dried.

rebocardo

I am fairly close to Marietta, I just finished cutting down three sweet gum trees and laying some tile floor for a lady last week. Sweet gum tree grew up into the sewer and up through the toilet and slab and into the bathroom.

I would like to saw it up. I will call tomorrow.

beenthere

Now there is a vision to confuse the mind. Sure hope you have some pics of that tree growing out of the toilet. :o :o  
And it's big enough to saw too?    ;D :D :D  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

Yea, rotor router guy had to take off the toilet just to fit a snake in because it could not wind its way down the pipe with the toilet on it as clogged so much. With the floor ripped up I thought I was looking at reinforced concrete in the slab and when I got on my knees I realized it was tree roots.

Gilman

So, let me get this straight.  She had a tree growing out of her toilet, in her house and she didn't notice it?  Pictures are definitely in order.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Gilman

The girlfriend is still laughing at my last post.  :D :D :D "Hmmm maybe the tree is outside and the roots grew up the drain," she says between laughing histarically.  Then she gives me a, "Oh you're so cute sometimes" while spritzing my hair.  Well, at least I still have my hair...
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!