iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

084 rebuild

Started by 421Altered, November 26, 2019, 12:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

Ok guys, here is what I have.  I have an 084, new to me, but, not in good condition, although the motor runs for a few seconds and shuts off.  i have bought a used 084 tank/handle, as the original one was run over.  All the av mounts are shot, and the fuel, and pulse lines need replacing.  I have bought a carb rebuild kit from Stihl, hope I got the right one!  Now my question, should I replace the p&c now, or wait and see how good the motor is after I put the above items on?  The rings are not stuck, and the cylinder and piston do not have any scuffing on them, but, the saw saw a hard life with timber cutters.  It looks almost like they put used motor oil in the bar oil tank, wow, the saw is extremely greasy and nasty!!  At this point I don't have a bar for it.  If I decide to sell it, how much is it worth now, and how much would it be worth running, and how much would it be worth with a new Stihl P&C?

retiredmechanic

I'm not an experienced stihl man but as with any purchase I would suggest putting bare minimum $$ s to see how it is going to operate. however with all you stated needs done I would be cautious putting in (I presume you mean piston and cyl kit) "P&C" because in my opinion if you go that far you might as well do a full rebuild but again I'm not a Stihl man and most of the exp. I do  have with them is the 064's I also hear that there is aftermarket Chinese knockoff parts floating around for the stihls causing buyers to be cautious when purchasing used 
your doing good researching opinions before dumping dollars congrats 
another opinion i hear is that Stihl saws are fetching higher resale dollars than other brands but thats just friends opinions Good luck I will be anxious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this saw 
gunfire and chainsaws is a Sunday afternoon Lullaby in the country

ehp

do not think their is a ton of parts for the 084 , well not from Stihl anyways . when you are doing the carb check the fuel and impulse lines for cracks and holes

Al_Smith

Let me just say for all intents a large cubic inch saw might seem to run forever .By the same token parts for same are not inexpensive .I have an 084 but like many especially in this area of the country it has not seen that much usage and as such I've done very little to it .I might be able to give a tip on other Stihls but as noted not on this model . Only to say it's a Clydesdale of a saw .It certainly is not a firewood cutter unless you're 7 feet tall and weigh about 350 pounds .

421Altered

Thanks to all that have replied with their thoughts.  Great info here!!  No Al, I'm not 7ft tall or 350 #,s!! LOL  I just got to 5'8" in my 68 years, and now about 165#'s.  LOL  But, I'm in pretty good shape for my age, very active, do all my own carpenter work, and actually use a claw hammer, no staple guns for me!!  And do a little drag racing, I'm the driver, mechanic, crew chief, pit boss, and sponsor all rolled into one!!

Al_Smith

I will give one bit of advice .Go to your friendly neighborhood Stihl dealer and buy a Stihl 460 rescue saw D-handle for that finger breaking beast  .Your hand will thank you .  :D

421Altered

Thanks Al for that finger saving tip!!  It's already took the hide off of one of my fingers when I pulled the rope with the worn out handle. It needs an electric starter!! LOL

Al_Smith

I usually buy them 4 at a time .I think I have one left in the drawer.The question is what drawer ?

421Altered

Al you and I have the same disease!! LOL

Al_Smith

Well you know,8-10 bucks a pop .Give my poor old tired fingers a break .I'm not near as tough as I once was .

Thank You Sponsors!