iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you handle it

Started by Peter Drouin, November 25, 2013, 06:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I think we all do the right thing too, I will cut a log that did not look bad but when I open it up wow  :o all junk I will cut it with my chainsaw and throw it off the mill and not charge for it. I think we will give a little just not get robbed .
An another thing if the lumber doesn't come out right like thin on the end I throw it next to the slab pile, or an 8' log and the flinch is 5' long ill put it to one side with the thin one and not charge for it. One time I had a customer that was 150 years old or so  :D and he would pick out all the little pieces,  he thought that was great . Come to find out he made wooden toys  .So the moral of the story is no two jobs or customers are the same. And do the best you can.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

When sawing customers' logs (which I don't do all that often) I make it absolutely clear that I will charge for what I saw, whether it's junk or not. I will also go over the logs with the customer and point out any potential junk logs. If the customer wants me to saw them, fine.

If there are hidden defects (as there will be with WRC) I will keep sawing as long as I get one good face. Once decay shows up on all four faces I will eject the cant and set it aside (no charge for the cant). If the customer wants me to saw it up later, then I'll charge for it.

For "ordinary" sawing -- timbers and lumber -- I quote a BF price and give the customer an estimate of the recovery from his/her logs. That way there are no financial surprises, although there may be quality surprises.

At the end of the job I also calculate an hourly price, based on the hour meters. If the hourly price is lower, that's what I'll charge the customer.

Working this way, the only pricing surprise the customer gets will be a pleasant one ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!