iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many of us are full time sawyers?

Started by sandsawmill14, May 30, 2015, 09:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

My only source of income for the last 8 years, never been better.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rooster 58

I saw full time and employ  two others at the moment.  I want to add a third to sit in the saw box so I can manage and grow my business the way I want to ;)

longtime lurker

My "normal" week:
Monday - office duties, admin, parts sourcing etc etc - all those odd jobs that require doing but seem impossible through the "work" part of the week.
Tuesday - mill from 7am to 5pm
Wednesday - "
Thursday - "
Friday - "Exercise" day: ie hump a chainsaw around in the bushes rather then spend it stuck in the dogbox of a mill. Usually get away from home around 4.30 and get home around 10pm.
Saturday - mill yard 7 to 4. Saturday we open to retail business so the mill itself doesn't get started, but theres a truck to unload, and cleanup work, and resaw work to do.
Sunday - day off.

Got one guy full time and a rotating crew of casuals who are good for a day here and a day there on an as required basis.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Jim H

The mill has been my main scource of income for over 18 yrs but I rarely saw 40 hours a week. Thats the great thing about it,I can make a good living working about half that much time with no worry of getting burned out.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

sandsawmill14

thats what i was meaning if this how you make your living.

I started this because i read comment in another thread "wishing there were more full time sawyers here" or something close to that and i thought it would be good to show how many of us are here ;D :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

ladylake

The only thing I would have done different is to start at 25 years old instead of 50+.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tule peak timber

I don't have my two mills working at 40 hours per week each either. I clock easily twice that every week and am happy to be able to work that much . Burned out- yes- and the people around me display singed edges. You just need enough people around to spread the heat. LOL...
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

drobertson

we need heat sink putty that's not messy ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Peter Drouin

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on May 31, 2015, 05:55:19 PM
thats what i was meaning if this how you make your living.

I started this because i read comment in another thread "wishing there were more full time sawyers here" or something close to that and i thought it would be good to show how many of us are here ;D :)

That was me , and there's only a hand full if full time here and I'm one.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

peter it is truly a handful. i have to say it is less than i was expecting for the amount of good information here on the forum :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Nomad

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 31, 2015, 09:48:03 AM
most of us create our own luck ,both good and bad :)

Truer words have never been said.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

YoungStump

I work as an employee for a pallet company who owns the mill and equipment. I am pretty much in charge of the sawmill part of the business, so basically all I do is connected with the mill.
When logs and help are available I saw full time and try to squeeze in blade sharpening and mill maintenance etc evenings and weekends. If we're short in help or something there's usually plenty of work to do trying to improve our fairly new setup, and prepping logs for the mill.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Chuck White

Definately "part-time", and I'm good with that.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WoodenHead

Part time for the last 3.5 years.  Getting closer to 100,000 bdft sawn.  Working towards a full-time stationary setup, but may or may not get there.  And I'm good with it either way.   :)  I sell lumber but also kiln dry and produce finished products (T&G, flooring, etc.).

JustinW_NZ

My wife works hard at her job to support my now full time sawmill habbit haha

I should say my health forced a slight life rethink. Went fulltime with the mill this year.
First full time employee started last month!
I like to spread the heat as others say.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

slider

I have been sawing part time for about 15 years.This year I took on a partner started a tree business so I guess i'm still part time.I remove and trim trees part of the week and saw part of the week.It works so far for me.It's getting late I should of been sawing an hour ago.
My hat's off to the full time sawyers because it's hit and miss at times.
al glenn

petefrom bearswamp

Part time and if I win the lottery I'll just keep at it until the money is gone.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

nas

Full time, and only getting busier. 

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

redbeard

Part time but put a lot of hours in especially weekends. Still able to keep up with orders that come in. Setting my self up for full time when I retire in 8 yrs.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Seaman

Sawing and wood sales is what we do for a living at Uniquewoodcuts.com !
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

mesquite buckeye

Part time sawing, full time footman. ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ChrisGermany

I work full time for a man who owns a hydraulic Baker bandsaw mill, mainly sawing sticks for drying lumber and ties. We saw ties when the logs are available and custom cut lumber from time to time. It's a feast or famine job. At times the logs stop coming, and we survive by hauling off nail logs from bigger mills and culled railroad ties and sawing them into something useful. But the logs always come eventually, and we make up for the slow times by pushing out as many orders as possible when we have the logs on hand.

We work about 40 hours per week (or I do--the boss works off and on 7 days per week fixing the mill, hauling off the loads, staging logs for me, etc) and our bills stay paid. I've had easier jobs, but never a job I enjoyed more. The boss is a good man, and I'd rather be sweating for him than sitting in an air-conditioned office.

Getting up each day, sliding into old overalls that always smell like white oak, lacing up the logging boots that have conformed perfectly to my feet from walking countless miles on hard-packed dirt, and putting on the wide straw hat to ward off the blinding Mississippi sun ...wouldn't have it any other way. I realize that I'll never become a rich man by sawing logs, but I sleep well at night. Can't ask for more than that.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

terrifictimbersllc

"Retirement hobby".   8 yrs in business now, keeps getting busier, now pretty much full time.    ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ChrisGermany on June 21, 2015, 12:12:09 AM
I work full time for a man who owns a hydraulic Baker bandsaw mill, mainly sawing sticks for drying lumber and ties. We saw ties when the logs are available and custom cut lumber from time to time. It's a feast or famine job. At times the logs stop coming, and we survive by hauling off nail logs from bigger mills and culled railroad ties and sawing them into something useful. But the logs always come eventually, and we make up for the slow times by pushing out as many orders as possible when we have the logs on hand.

We work about 40 hours per week (or I do--the boss works off and on 7 days per week fixing the mill, hauling off the loads, staging logs for me, etc) and our bills stay paid. I've had easier jobs, but never a job I enjoyed more. The boss is a good man, and I'd rather be sweating for him than sitting in an air-conditioned office.

Getting up each day, sliding into old overalls that always smell like white oak, lacing up the logging boots that have conformed perfectly to my feet from walking countless miles on hard-packed dirt, and putting on the wide straw hat to ward off the blinding Mississippi sun ...wouldn't have it any other way. I realize that I'll never become a rich man by sawing logs, but I sleep well at night. Can't ask for more than that.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!