iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Done with next year's firewood

Started by cutterboy, March 20, 2020, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

It's all been cut, split and stacked in the barn for next heating season. I have about 6 cord for myself and 12 cord to sell.

These first three pictures are of wood to sell.

Here is the wood for my basement stove. Green on the right and dry on the left.

This is the wood for my kitchen stove. Green.

And this the dry kitchen stove wood that I'm burning now.

Now it's time to get my sawmill going.   All the best, Cutter

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Wood Shed

Nice work, is the slatted floor I see part of an old hog barn or dairy barn?  I approach cutting firewood with no end point or goal in mind as I like to run a chain saw.  It (cutting firewood) is part of my overall Tree Farm plan that has goals for things like timber stand improvement, trail maintenance and improvement, EAB killed wood salvage, and wild life habitat improvement.  I usually have enough firewood cut that running out never enters my mind.  I am more likely to give firewood away than sell it.

Sure looks like good dry inside storage is no problem for you.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

cutterboy

Wood Shed, Yes, it's an old  dairy barn but the slatted flooring was put in when the barn was converted to raise veal calves. That was back in the 70's. There were three good years (big money) then the demand for veal fell to near nothing. That's farming for you.
   I do have a lot of good dry storage for my firewood as the barn is 180' by 28'.

upnut

Cutterboy, looks like you have a pretty organized firewood program! I am working toward that goal, having recently inherited my Dad's 19 acres and set of buildings. For now the old sawmill shed is getting stacked full of cherry/hickory/hard maple ....

To the left of the cherry stack is a small maple syrup set-up that will be sold and cleared out for more storage. Not as big as yours, but better than stacking outside like I have been...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

gspren

I wouldn't really need to cut more wood but as long as I'm sort of self isolating here on the farm I'll keep on cutting/splitting/stacking till they turn us loose.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

cutterboy

Scott, there is a lot of wood in your outside stacks. Do you sell firewood and heat with it too? It is nice to store wood inside. It stays dry and doesn't turn gray like it does outside. If you have room to operate your wood splitter inside you can split wood while it's raining or snowing.

gspren, yes, you might as well stay busy and you never know when some extra firewood will come in handy.

upnut

Cutterboy- I heat solely with wood, a small 100 year old farmhouse with a wood furnace in the basement. People have asked how much I burn, don't know just always keep a big pile of wood on hand. Last summer I did open a roadside sales stand...

It went pretty well. This spring I will open it at the buildings you see above the wagon. More parking, better driveway access, and better signage may improve things a bit. I do enjoy cutting firewood!

Scott B.

hedgerow

Cutterboy
Looks like your ready for the next big winter. I haven't cut or split any wood this year yet. Been having some health issues. Last month the weather was getting about right to start falling some trees and then it started snowing and raining and hasn't dried up enough to get out in the pasture without ruining the grass. I think by the time it dries up now it will be time to plant corn. We usually start around Apr 10. Once planting starts probably no wood cutting until the heat of summer. I hate cutting wood then but that's when we have time. We did get around six cord of the 15-20 I need for the year down bucked and split late last fall after harvest and field work was done. So I am not sitting too bad. But this year I have very few logs ready to buck and split. We are going to be falling a lot of hedge trees this year. 

cutterboy

Scott, I like your mobile roadside stand. I bet you could sell quite a bit of wood with that. I have thought of doing something like that to sell wood year round. I sell wood by the 1/4 cord now. I made boxes that hold that amount and put them out by the street. The boxes go out the first part of September and I sell out middle to late October. I only  have 11-12 cord to sell so it goes quickly.

jmur1

Quote from: cutterboy on March 23, 2020, 02:05:23 PM
Scott, I like your mobile roadside stand. I bet you could sell quite a bit of wood with that. I have thought of doing something like that to sell wood year round. I sell wood by the 1/4 cord now. I made boxes that hold that amount and put them out by the street. The boxes go out the first part of September and I sell out middle to late October. I only  have 11-12 cord to sell so it goes quickly.

Good Value!  
Easy does it

jmur1

I forklift around these frames.  1 facecord on each side.

Easy does it

cutterboy

jmur1, do you deliver in those frames or do people come and pick up the wood?  There is a lot of wood piled behind that frame. How much do you sell?

jmur1

Quote from: cutterboy on March 24, 2020, 07:46:51 AM
jmur1, do you deliver in those frames or do people come and pick up the wood?  There is a lot of wood piled behind that frame. How much do you sell?
Hi cutterboy:
I just use the frames to season the wood.  When I deliver (only about half the time - otherwise people just load their vehicles from the frames) I lift them up and throw the wood down on my trailer.  The year that all the wood was shown I was running trials on my wood processor - I stacked about 21 bush cord that year.  I'm just a hobby seller most of what I have is for my own use.
jmur1
Easy does it

upnut

Farmer friend of mine asked if I wanted a trailer load of wood. This is what he dropped off...

That will keep me busy for a while....
Scott B.

jmur1

Awesome - those look like driven wheels too!  Never get that trailer stuck...
Easy does it

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Scott, is that a cherry log on top of the load? That one wouldn't go onto my firewood pile, I'd saw it into lumber.

I sure would like to have that tractor and trailer setup. That farmer is a good friend to have. He cuts down the trees and delivers the logs. Now if you could get him to cut, split and stack the wood.... ;D

gspren

To use that tractor and trailer in my woods I'd have to cut down half the woods just opening trails and putting in turn arounds. I mostly use a UTV and 5' wide trailer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

upnut

Cutterboy- Yes, the caveat to the load was to sort out a couple saw logs....no problem. 

gspren- The setup is used mainly clearing fencerows, stump hauler extraordinaire!

jmur1- I think the trailer started out in life as an off road dump truck, steel plates cover where the drive input would be.

thecfarm- He had a young man bugging him to help cut firewood, so invited him out to "cut a couple trailer loads"...
                The kid loved it and eventually became his son-in-law, go figure!

Scott B.

cutterboy

HA HA I guess the kid's interest went beyond cutting trees. :D

Thank You Sponsors!