iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms-660 vs ms-880

Started by 7845Robert, February 24, 2010, 10:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

A 36" is just about the standard size used by most pro tree men in these parts .Something like a 20-24-28 they use smaller saws .

Quite frankly although most of them have 066/660's they don't get used that much .As I've said before the over 100 CC's very seldom .

I cannot knock the 066/660 because it has became over the years the standard most saws are compaired to very similar to rating auto carbs to a Stromberg model 97 .

Okrafarmer

How are the 066's compared to the 660's? I'm trying to look at a 066 for sale locally.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

deerslayer

They are essentially the same saw. Some variations occurred during the production run. The latest 066 versions had the poly flywheel like the 660 does. Any of that series are good saws. I think a late model 066 would be the most desirable one of the bunch but it would be more likely to have more wear on it.

If you get a rebuilt one, whether it has oem or aftermarket parts can affect its value.

A short bar reduces the value a bit too. These saws sell for about $350 to $750 depending. The $500 you mentioned is probably an ok price but not a steal by any means with a 20" bar. It should have no issues for that price.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

HolmenTree

My first year 1992 Stihl 066 Mag [with factory dual outlet muffler] still had not upgraded to the poly flywheel yet and I have one of those 066's too. My poly model doesn't even come close in performance to my older 066, and the older one has a lot more hours on it and still has never had it's cylinder removed yet.
But let me take you back to 1986 when I bought my first year Stihl 064. Now this was a beautiful high performance saw with one of the best factory power to weight ratio ever produced.......... 85cc at 14.1 lbs [ lighter then todays mid 70cc class MS 460] When the 066 came out in the early '90's I was quite disappointed how it turned into a heavy bulky pig. Other then that the 066 proved to be a durable saw.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

To the OP just curious, what is the average dbh and height of the ponderosas you are cutting? Must be pretty good size if you can singlehandedly cut and load in firewood rounds a log truck worth of wood a day, and still consider it "part time". That is a fair amount of wood for one guy to move, skidding or not.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

By part-time, I think he meant he was doing it only in the summer, not year round. I hope he has someone helping him to make those numbers, because to think someone could do that by themself would be rather depressing to someone like me!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

HolmenTree

A good man on a Cat 518 or Clarke Ranger 666 line skidder could cut and skid 30 cord of tree length a day by himself.

mad murdock

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 07, 2013, 09:07:00 AM
A good man on a Cat 518 or Clarke Ranger 666 line skidder could cut and skid 30 cord of tree length a day by himself.
agreed Holmentree. In good wood, I have done that myself, pulling my own line and setting and letting off my own chokers. But he said he wasn't using any type of skidder.  And he was blocking that much wood in a day! That is quite a feat for one guy!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mad murdock on June 07, 2013, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on June 07, 2013, 09:07:00 AM
agreed Holmentree. In good wood, I have done that myself, pulling my own line and setting and letting off my own chokers. But he said he wasn't using any type of skidder.  And he was blocking that much wood in a day! That is quite a feat for one guy!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  :-\

HolmenTree

Ok now  I see what Op was saying .I didn't read far enough back on this thread
Pretty big figures with out any decent  machinery.
When I used to grade lumber at the sawmill I had to get out into the bush on my time off and move some 18" firewood .
I'd drive my old 3 ton dump right into  stands of birch and then fell, block up and pile it onto the truck.
I could load over 2 cords on that old gravel box with side extensions. Then deliver it 5 miles down into cottage country and make $200. On  a full  8- 10 hr day I could make 2 trips, sure couldn't do that every day though....... :D

Al_Smith

When I was around 30 years old I could buck,split ,move and stack around 2 cords on a good day .That was splitting with an axe .I can still get 2 cords but that is on a short haul ( 500 feet ) and with a hydraulic splitter .I certainly don't do it every day though ,rarely .

700 cords of processed length firewood is one gigantic amount .

Okrafarmer

He must be descended from Paul Bunyan!

Thank You Sponsors!