iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't try this at home, or anywhere else!

Started by RSteiner, July 20, 2009, 06:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSteiner

I was working around a 32 acre pond cutting some dead wood and one large maple that had uprooted in the spring falling into the pond.  The maple was 18" DBH with 2/3's of the swampy end of the pond.

I had to cut the tree into 3 sections in order to get it into pieces small enough to pull out with the Farmi winch on my Kubota.  The first section 25 feet out into the water went okay.  When going after the second section I was dragging the winch cable with one hand and the chainsaw in the other walking along the edge of the pond which was thick with small hemlock.

Just as I reached the tree my last step was on something that rolled out from under my foot sending me forward into the knee high water and into what was left og the top of the maple tree.  To my horror I watched the chainsaw do a back flip into 3 feet of water, it was not running at the time.  I scrambled to it as fast as I could grabbed it , ran back to the tractor, grabbed a wrench opened the top cover removed the air filter and spark plug. 

I dumped the water out of what seemed like every where and pulled on the starter rope many times I left the saw in the sun to dry out.  A few hours later I pulled the saw over a dozen more times without the spark plug.  I put the plug back in and in 2 pulls the saw fired right up and cut fine the rest of the day.

This is the first time I have ever dropped a saw in the water and I hope the last.  I am thankful it still runs.

Randy
Randy

zopi

That's why you never see a water skier juggling chainsaws...

Glad YOU'RE ok...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

GASoline71

I've drowned my share of dirtbikes in my time in creeks and rivers... same deal.  Stand bike up on back tire to drain water out of exhaust... pull filter and plug... kick over many many times to clear cylinder.  Dry plug... reinstall... kick like mo-fo... and bada-bing... fires right up.

2-stroke saw is no different.  You did exactyly as you should have.  The saw should not be hurt at all.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

01crewcab

Just glad you didn't land on your saw! At the end of the day cutting I would pull the side cover off of the saws remove the bar and chain and hose everything down. Shake the water off, put em back together, fire em up to dry and put away for the next morning. Did  it for years. Never a problem!
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

RSteiner

I have seen a few outboard motors take the deep six in fresh water and after a good drying out still run fine.  I guess it is just the sight of seeing something not made to be under water end up there that bothered me.  I have run saws in the pouring rain and had to cut a few times with the bar in the water, that will get you wet quick until you learn where to stand, without any ill effects.

The only hurt in all this was my pride, which probably got me in trouble to begin with.

Randy
Randy

LeeB

I have a little old Homelite that stayed submerged for 2 weeks. Opened it up, dumped the water out, let it dry. New gas and a lots of pulls, (no different than before the dunkin' :D) and it was running and cutting as slow as ever. I don't know why I keep that thing. I guess because it's the first saw I bought.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quote from: LeeB on July 20, 2009, 05:13:17 PM
I have a little old Homelite that stayed submerged for 2 weeks. Opened it up, dumped the water out, let it dry. New gas and a lots of pulls, (no different than before the dunkin' :D) and it was running and cutting as slow as ever. I don't know why I keep that thing. I guess because it's the first saw I bought.

Used it to anchor the boat for two weeks ? Huh?   ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Nah, Ileft it in the little case it came in sitting on top of Lindy's dryer when I left to go to work. She didn't appreciate that and set it out the back door, just under the eaves figuring it would be ok in the nifty little plastic case. Then came the rains and filled the case.  ::)  ::)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

So Lindy does remember the cat in the tub... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

:D :D :D
Lindy remembers every little mistake I've made in the last 33 years.

petefrom bearswamp

Hey LeeB
I still have my old homelite super xl12 1973 vintage at my camp in the adirondacks.
Took it to the saw shop about 15 years ago for a look see. they showed me a very scored cylinder, told me to run it till it quits.
Still starts on the third or fourth pull.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

You got me beat by a few years on that one. I think mine is about 20 years old.

rebocardo

Luckily it wasn't running, otherwise it probably would have been in pieces. At least you didn't step on  gator, that would have been worse  ;)

RSteiner

That is the one nice thing about New Hampshire ponds, no gators.  Well, there are John Deere Gators but even they are a bit scarce.

Randy
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!