iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We'll need to see an ID

Started by Norm, June 11, 2011, 05:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: OneWithWood on June 18, 2011, 01:42:53 PM
Marcel,
Back in the dark ages when I was in grade school we where taught that ain't is a contraction of the two words am not or occasionally, is not.  Its use was frowned upon by the so called learned community but it was and as far as I know still is a valid word.
Ain't may not be the King's (or Queen's) English but it fits the American version just fine.

Raider,
It is just a flash back to your more refined days, I am sure, that prompted you to enlighten confuse Marcel  :D
Quote from: isawlogs on June 18, 2011, 08:39:10 PM
Quote from: OneWithWood on June 18, 2011, 01:42:53 PM
Raider,
It is just a flash back to your more refined days, I am sure, that prompted you to enlighten confuse Marcel  :D

Robert , don't you worry none, we are going to sit and have a chat next time we meet, I need to enlighten him on a few little things. A few have already volunteered to assist to this litle sittin' ;D ;)

Refined days? I most have missed those :D :D :D :D

You guys won't be the first to try and teach me the error of my ways...............
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

isawlogs

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 20, 2011, 09:11:10 AM
You guys won't be the first to try and teach me the error of my ways...............

I sure ain't gonna try to teach you the errors of your ways, half a dozen before me have tried that... but enlighten you on a few points of, I can try  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sprucegum

Out here we call them "gated communities" I passed through the gate once but didn't care for the people I met there  ::)  so no, I aint gonna live there  :D

Don_Papenburg

Bill , I recon that you are wise enough to resist any attemts at setting the errors of your ways straight ;D ;D ;D ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

OneWithWood

Quote from: isawlogs on June 20, 2011, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on June 20, 2011, 09:11:10 AM

I sure ain't gonna try to teach you the errors of your ways, half a dozen before me have tried that... but enlighten you on a few points of, I can try  ;D :)

It seems whenever I point out the errors of somebodies ways I am looking in a mirror!  However, I am ameniable to sitting around drinking some cold adult beverages and reminiscing on our collective pasts...

I seem to remember that Norm owes me a cold one - something to do with a certain mustard colored cabinet saw.  Now I know if I ever find my way to Iowa there is a kegerator keeping that beer cold!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Patty

I will buy you a cold one at the piggy roast, if you can make it. smiley_beertoast
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

We park our travel trailer in the back outside the fence facing the lane, I would put a gate in the fence but the land lord would likely take issue with it. Nobody has complained....yet. I suppose bylaw enforcement could make me move it so I am doing my best to stay under the radar. It's utter nonsense, I am not interfering with my neighbours right to access, peace and privacy but the nanny state sees otherwise.
Some of the posts remind me of the community my sister lives in. The nearest police detachment is 45 miles away over a twisty two lane highway so response time is an hour by car. Crime is almost non existent, I was told the locals park a pickup cross wise on the bridge and deal with petty stuff themselves. The cops will come out if needed.
I saw some renovation work in progress and asked about permits. Waal now, we are supposed to get permits from the regional district but you know what, if somebody needs a septic tank they get a backhoe and put it in. The building inspector won't come out after a couple of run ins with the locals. We might have a problem with the assessor though. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

metalspinner

All this "ain't" talk is bringing back terrible memories from my Jr. High School days. :-\ :-\ :D

You see, my 7th grade English instructor, Mr. Nails, had many pet peeves and he was determined to rid the world of them through his students. :D  He was as tough as his name implies and commanded respect from everyone without even trying. Whatever he said was the Truth and there would be no argument or discussion. If an "i" was not dotted, the word was misspelled. :(  Don't even think about turning in a paper assignment that has been ripped out of a notebook. no_no

Three of his special pet peeves have stuck with me all these years are Listening Skills, Double Negatives, and Avoiding Ain't.  The reason I have capitalized these is that he has an informational sheet describing in great detail the attributes of knowing and understanding the rules that apply to these topics. Upon hearing any misuse or misunderstanding of said topics, he was quick to withdraw from his filing cabinet a copy of an informational worksheet and directed you to write them the number times that he felt would adequately engrain the correct results into your very being.

This assault was not limited to his students alone. Anyone in the school could fall victim to his quick draw of these rules.  As he would leave the classroom he would be sure to have a couple of copies of each sheet in his hands so he could rid the world of these travesties of the English language. :D  Once, I remember him handing an "Ain't Sheet" to another faculty member and requesting three handwritten copies of it by the end of the day. :o :o And, by golly, he got it! :D

The reason these antidotes have stuck with me all these years is that I was probably his most stubborn case.  There should be a plaque on the wall of that school with my name on it for having to write out Mr. Nails' "Listening Skills" the most times ever by a 7th grader.  On final exam day as he was walking up and down the aisles of desks handing out the exam, he handed me a "Listening Skills" worksheet instead of the exam and said, "Mr. Chris you owe me seven sets of 'Listening Skills'"  And he wouldn't let me take the exam until they were turned in. :o  Did I mention every "i" needed to be dotted or it had to be done over. :( :(

This past fall, I made contact with him again because I was hearing the word "ain't" all too often and it reminded me of him.  He felt obliged to send me a copy of the worksheet. ::)  I'm surprised he didn't attach a copy of "Listening Skills" for me to copy. ::)

For every ones amusement, I have attached Mr. Nails' "Ain't Sheet." :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

Coon

Well now,  I woulda told him I ain't gonna do these worksheets cuz I ain't got a pen that has ink worth wasting.   :D Ain't happening no how.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

metalspinner

Coon,
I believe I remember saying something to that effect to him once....once. :o :o

I don't know how I survived my childhood. :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Norm

Me too, I was the high school principals favorite student. Well you'd of thought that by how much time we spent together.  :D

isawlogs

We where on first name basis.  ::) :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Coon

I was the one who gave our vice-principal the name "Chrome Dome" and then a bunch of us put some change together and bought a tub of turtle wax and wrapped it for a Christmas gift.  :D    :D  Ya shoulda seen the look on his face in front of the whole school... priceless.   :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Don_Papenburg

We used to go to the pricipals office to skip a class  when I was in HS .  We would BS with him . He didn't mind as long as we were not to loud ,or his hang over had subsided.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!