iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geothermal?

Started by RazrRebel, March 23, 2017, 02:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazrRebel

Anybody try geothermal on a small scale. I'm thinking like an above ground root cellar. I'm currently building a off grid cabin on the main top of the ridge behind my house on our own property. To have a typical root cellar I would have to dig one in on down the hill. I was wondering about an above ground building, really well insulated with a small geothermal setup. Sounds like it would work. What you guys think? Any one ever try it on a small basis?

MbfVA

I don't see how you can get out of consulting with an engineer or contractor if you want to avoid an expensive mistake.  There's a lot that goes into figuring how those things work in different media.  They'll tell you what you need to tell them in order to design it, maybe possible to do that without a visit I don't know. I have talked geothermal with a lot of folks, studied it over the years, but I've never done it.  Maybe at the house we are planning to build.  River frontage & ponds, but too far away.

Let me add that if you have the capacity to dig for & bury the loop yourself, if that's what you think you need to do after considering some of the things you're talking about, the other part is pretty standard, and in fact the equipment is reputed to be more reliable than standard hvac stuff.   A lot of money goes into the loop part of most of the systems.  I'm not sure the start up cost involved will be worth it for a very small building, again though that might be  influenced by  how much you could do yourself
www.ordinary.com (really)

Thank You Sponsors!