iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removal of a Stihl flywheel

Started by SwampDonkey, March 12, 2010, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

The Stihl company is extremely proud of their parts which they try their best to make all OEM .Some seals can be cross referenced at about 1/4 the the cost but most cannot including bearings  etc . You just have to bite the bullet because you have very little other options .

SwampDonkey

The bearings are not an easy thing to get for most of them, as you say. My know it all brother thinks you can just walk into a shop and get them for $8-20 :D Good luck on that one. His mouth sometimes gets ahead of his brains. ;) Even the ones in the angle gear are double sets of ball bearings inside and $60+ each, there are three.  I think one is about $100 bucks.  :o And that gear housing has to be heated to get them out, which means you burn up the seals of them all, so might as well buy a new angle gear. :D I tried using hydraulics to get the two bearings off the gear to the blade. Nope no way without heat to get them out of the housing. :D

The bearings I got for the crankcase come from Portugal. The seals are two sizes as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I've never even seen one of those clearing saws much less worked on one .On the chainsaws though often times the flywheel side bearings and seals are standard metric . It's the clutch side that are the odd balls  and are more  expensive .

That OEM stuff is just typical German mindset design ,they all do it . Good stuff just costly to repair .

I deal with that type stuff daily on high speed machinery used in the auto industry . It's not all that tough to repair,finding the parts is where the real battle is .

SwampDonkey

They don't seem to be that bad to work on, just delicate work is all around some things. Anxious to get back finishing up this saw this morning to see how she runs. So I'm off, now that it's daylight. ;D

I bought a puller and my brother said you'll use that once and never need it again. Well, I've used in 4 times already in the first week. Slicker than a side walk dog turd. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

joe_indi

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 19, 2010, 03:18:43 AM
The bearings are not an easy thing to get for most of them, as you say. .......
The bearings I got for the crankcase come from Portugal. The seals are two sizes as well.

This clearing saw is a fine example of German over engineering.I think it was introduced sometime in the 90s.
The Bearings are similar in size to those on a 046.
The bigger oil seal is the same as the one on the clutch side of a 046, 026 036 ora Stihl blower.
The smaller one is the same as the one on the flywheel side of the 038.
The Portugal bearings are from FAG. Though the NTN ones  are also available.
Heating the gear head to remove the bearings are a real messy job because you end up with a couple of ruined components. So I tap  out the pinions without heating the body.
Once all the cir-clips are out, just tap the driving end of the gearbox on a wooden block the pinion with the small bearings will come off.
Using a big wrench socket,the thrust washer and the lock nut a rudimentary puller is formed which will pull out the driven pinion

SwampDonkey

Hydraulics didn't bring her out, so it's not so easy as you think. All it did was start to dent the mouth of the housing on the blade end. :D

Tapping won't loosen that sucker on the drive gear neither, the inside of it came out easy, but the outside ring of the bearing is tight to the housing. And you can't get a grip on the housing because it's all rounded and you just tear at the housing in a vise as it slips like a greased pig.

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 19, 2010, 05:28:04 PM
. And you can't get a grip on the housing because it's all rounded and you just tear at the housing in a vise as it slips like a greased pig.
Now how pray tell can you gat a greased pig in a vise .That would be a job in itself . :D

SwampDonkey

Now you know the dilemma. :D :D

Aside from that little tale, I'm now trying to piece that throttle back together with all them springs and switches. Oh, the joys. ;D

SwampDonkey

This morning I looked over my throttle again and found a spring not seated properly. So I put that into place and closed the two halves back up and adjusted the cable with a screw driver below the palm release lever and she's fixed. Went and cut a few clumps of dogwoods in the back yard and trimmed the apple trees of some lower limbs. Rock-n-Roll. ;D :D

SwampDonkey

Couple pictures for ya Al. :D
Same saw, but about 4 years ago.

joe_indi

Aint she a beaut (brute  :D).

If I am not mistaken she has the same  cubics as a 029.
And the 550 has been around for quite some years.
We dont see 550s here. Nothing over the 400.

Joe

SwampDonkey

Quote from: joe_indi on March 21, 2010, 10:03:58 AM
We dont see 550s here. Nothing over the 400.

Joe

56.5 cc's 12500 rpm

That's because only professional bush whackers are privileged.   ;D :D :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Well, I'm proud to say that I had no break downs this season on the rebuild. I also added up all my areas for the season and I cut over 40 ha. That's over 100 acres of brush on that one saw this year, thank you mam. Stihl all the way! 8) 8) 8) :)

isawlogs

Thats alot of ground covered with any saw .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ed

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 21, 2010, 04:17:58 PM
Well, I'm proud to say that I had no break downs this season on the rebuild. I also added up all my areas for the season and I cut over 40 ha. That's over 100 acres of brush on that one saw this year, thank you mam. Stihl all the way! 8) 8) 8) :)

Excellent! I just hope you have a good chiropractor.  :D Swingin' my Husky 165r for a few hours does me in....

Ed

SwampDonkey

Cut another 60 acres on the same saw this year. I was marking areas out for the most part of the season. Had to replace the angle gear though on the front end, and I snapped off a handle bar. Nothing out of the ordinary when your in big softwoods.  ::) Surprised that old clutch is still holding up. Same original throttle assembly to, although I have a spare with me. 8)

Mooseherder

Are you done with thinning for this year?
Time for a new and interesting project eh? ;D

SwampDonkey

Yeah, finished up a little bit ago. Going to load up with some new lumber in a week or so for a "mystery" project. ;D  8)

SwampDonkey

Styhl going strong. ;D

Noticed the last couple days that the low end of the rpm's was sluggish. Suspected something was blocked of course. Filters are new and clean, lines clear, new carb. kit this spring. Finally removed the muffler, it was just about closed off with carbon in the exhaust port. Cleaned it out, works like new.  Back in form. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!