iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop First Aid

Started by metalspinner, September 23, 2021, 09:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I never, like ever, wear gloves in my shop.  I'd rather have splinters than get my hand pulled into a saw.
With my sawstop, Its best for my finger to contact the blade instead of a glove.  I've heard of people wearing rubber gloves that fit tight.  That would probably be safe.  Might prevent some splinters, give some extra grip, but not strong enough to pull hand into blade.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Don't wear gloves when using the jointer.  Just saying for a friend :) :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bannerd

Without the saw stop I can tell you... my hand would be a lot worse.  However it works, it took the blade away and that is what I ended up with.

I thought about it and honestly the most danger was not having a clear head.  I've been doing way more thinking than I normally do and honestly that is the worst thing to have when doing any wood work.

WDH

That Sawstop saved you from catastrophic injury. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Here's a more mundane woodshop tip: Get a hold of one of those first aid kit splinter removers. They are in most all kits. I stole mine from my HS job years back as there were a bunch in the kit anyway. They are a small SS pointed thingy that's ideal for splinter removal. Works better than a needle by far! I keep one taped to a toolbox at all times and another at the house. Pops em right out and will help cut in some on the bad ones!

Another tip- That sticky gauze mesh like they use to hold gauze on an injection site, etc. works great to keep blood off of your woodworking projects and is also useful when sanding on the lathe. I talked the blood donation lady out of some when she asked me what size T-shirt I wanted last donation.

I once toured a nearby cabinet factory and many/most of the workers there were using it if they were sanding. I even saw it in use today in a video of handmade suede slippers showing a hand stitching operation. It's also useful to act as the bandaid  itself when your at work.

R.e. gloves- I am currently T&G'ing 2x6's and do wear gloves using my router table. The bit throws vicious chips which become ballistic missiles that play havoc with your hands. In fact,  I also wear a sweatshirt as my forearms were a mess! Senior skin doesn't handle impacts so well and arms looked like Id been tortured.
I did see some gloves at HD the other day that will be my next bunch. They are the coated thinnish ones that are black with blue trim.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

I got some splinter removers from @doc henderson at the Pig Roast.  Havent used them yet, but I'm sure I'll get the opportunity soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dan_Shade

What type are they? I have a bunch of splinter out, they work well. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!