iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my new career and website

Started by moosehunter, November 14, 2013, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

On Tuesday Nov. 12 2013 I sold the auto repair business I have had for 20+ years. This ends a 35 year career that was sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Owning a business with employees can be very stressful as many of you know.
Last week Jeff finished my new website and this week I started sawing on what will hopefully be my second (and last) career. You can check out the website @ sawitcoming.net
Monday evening I got a call from Memphis TN. The caller felt he had to call and comment on my web site. He said it was great and wanted to know if I had built it! I don't think that is up my bag of tricks!!
Sawing full time and being outside has been a dream for the last 5 years or so.
Thanks for the awesome website Jeff!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

Going to put this in the Member New Website Announcement Board?
I like it. I like the way you move with the topics. Going to add your covered porch, a garage, a sawmill shed and a get-away cabin in the woods to your personal projects? Fill it up and it will look that much better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Very nice web site. Ole Jeff does do good work  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

moosehunter

I have been having computer problems - specifically with pictures and a new Mac Mini and the incompatability of the new Mac and my internet connection.
Getting a new internet connection next Friday! Than there will be pics!

thecfarm

I guess I will have to check back after Friday. Good luck. At least you have options.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Moose, nice website,, Jeff did well!  You are right in that being outside in addition to helping others is a reward in itself,  I really hope all goes well for you.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

Best of luck on your new adventure. There was always a part of me that thought you were old enough to retire. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

It's good to see that your new business is now "out of the closet" and I won't have to keep your secret any longer.   :D  I do wish you the very best with your new sawing venture, and as I mentioned earlier, that website is as slick as a new button.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Would that caller in Memphis been Wade?  We talk occasionally.  He's still trying to get his membership on here worked out.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very nice website. I really like how the saw head moves down the line.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

york

Well Mike,good luck-got my oil changed the other day and wonder where you was.....
Albert

submarinesailor

Mike,

OUTSTANDING for you.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Heres hoping the second career is goodOUTSTANDING for you.  Do you have any customers waiting for you to start?

Please keep us in the loop as you move onward and upward.

Bruce

WDH

Mike,

The website is looks great, and I love way your contact # is displayed twice on each page.  Good luck in this new full-time venture.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerBrown

Moose, congratulations!!  And really nice looking website.  I would guess more than 1/2 of my business comes from people who I've never dealt with but who find me on the internet.  I know for a fact that there are a lot of sawmills in the area where I am, but the average Joe Blow out there doesn't know how to find them ... but they do know how to do a Google search!!

By the way, I too just retired as of Nov 1, 2013 from a desk job of almost 34 years to become a full-time sawyer.  Ironically, the company I retired from was ... Caterpillar.

Best of luck to you!!

Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Brucer

So lets say I have a friend living in New York who wants to find a portable sawmill nearby. Now living in another country on the other side of the continent, you might not expect me to get the same results as a local. However, when I use Google,

"portable sawmill watkins glen ny" puts you at #8 on the first page.

After all, the folks who are further away are not sol likely to stumble across your mill in action. But checking out your own neighbourhood,

"portable sawmill newfield ny" pust you at #3 on the first page.

Jeff builds a first class website, but all that work and skill wouldn't be much use if people didn't find it first. Jeff does a superb job of getting people to your website so they can actually admire it (and order stuff from you).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

moosehunter

Jake, with friends like you,............. :D
Nomad, It may have been Wade, he talks fast with enough of a southern accent that I never did catch his name!
Brucer, thanks for doing that search. That is pretty good presence for only being live for a week.
submarinesailer, the same crew is at MD Auto as one of my employees bought the place. I specifically asked that they treat your daughter well. I Started a sawing job Monday, a large pile of 6x6s and oak 4/4 for a barn floor. Tuesday sawed until noon so I could go to the reale state closing, Wednesday was all paper work for the shop, yesterday sawed all day - all 4/4 hardwood. Today 4/4 hemlock for a new garage. Should finish this job today. Two more mobile jobs waiting.
I tried the picture thing again last night, it is NOT going well for me!
Thanks for all your kind words.

Chuck White

Congratulations on your new adventure!

Best of luck!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom L

nice website, and good luck with your new venture

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Moose - Congratulations!  8)

One of these days when I am up there I need to meet all the "local" guys starting with you and mwood.  I am just out in Hammondsport right down the road and would love to see that mill in action and be jealous of you until I can have one of my own.

I may be able to send a couple of customers your way too, one of them may even be me!  ;D
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

dboyt

Very nice.  I'll be checking it from time to time to see how it progresses.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

lowpolyjoe

Site looks great!  Good luck with the new career  8)

Brucer

People often don't appreciate the power of having their website linked to the forestry forum. FF is being updated constantly (by us) and that ranks it high on Google. Having a link from the forum to your site draws on that. Jeff knows how to tweak your site to make it show up on a wide variety of relevant searches.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

moosehunter

Just finished my first job, 7500 bf! At this rate I should join the million bf club in say,... 20 years!

WmFritz

Good for you moosehunter  8) and I like your website.

I did the math for you...

1,000,000 - 7,500 = 992,500

Your on your way! :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

I had a creative moment on Mike's website. It happens on occasion. :D    Mike, I added the new web address to your profile, and if any one missed it, it is

www.sawitcoming.net  8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!