iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sardis Church in Folkston, Georgia

Started by Tom, December 29, 2004, 12:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Sardis is the oldest church in Folkston.  I continually run into historic stories and artifacts when sawing in Folkston.   Some need closure and I try as hard as I can to link them up or find an ending to the stories.

While sawing Andy's and Ricky's Sweet gum and Oak that was downed behind the old church by the latest hurricane,  I found, deep in it's depths a bullet.  Lots of lead with not much shape that we figure must have come from an old muzzle loader.

Now, it just so happens that there is a popular story about the pulpit in the old church.
http://www.folkston.com/pdfs/pkg1nc.pdf
A bullet was fired through it by a defender in the Indian Wars.  Now, the way I've got it figured, that bullet passed through the pulpit, out the back of the church and lodged itself in that very same Sweet Gum that we were sawing.

So, if you are ever at Ricky's house and sit down to a supper table made of sweet gum, look for that piece of lead lodged in its surface and wonder in the fact that you are gazing upon the musket ball that passed through the pulpit.

A little later in the same log, we ran through an ancient nail that, after almost an hour of supposing, we decided must have been where they nailed the wanted poster for that Indian. :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Just a little while back, Arkansawyer posted a piece or two about old stumps. Just a couple of days ago, if I remember. Those little essays told us a bit about stumps, but told us a whole lot more about the man that wrote them. I could say the same about this story of a man defending his territory, and the resultant bullet in the tree. The man that tell's it is pivotal to the story.  Thanks Tom!   :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

QuoteSounds logical ta me!
I can beleive dat to...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I'll second that motion Mr. chairman. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!