iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lombard Comango

Started by AdkStihl, February 13, 2012, 02:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdkStihl

Looking for an ignition coil and a set of rings for my Lombard Comango.
More importantly the coil....the rings can wait. I dont believe it was a high compression saw to begin with but at some point I would like to de-glaze the cylinder and install a fresh set of rings.
Also in need of a sprocket & needle bearing.

Anyone here able to help or point me in the right direction?

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Well it's an Al-42 engine which is a take off of a Homelite Xl-12. It was sold under Comanga .Super Comanga ,Lightning ,Lightning II Super Lightning .Came in every color of the rainbow .Sold under American Lincoln ,Campbell -Hausfield and several more .

Could have a points type ignition or solid state depending on the year .Could have a pressed  crankshaft like a Stihl also depending .May or may not have a decompression release .

4.2 cubic inchs,68 cc  and considered very fast in it's day .Known crankcase seal leakers which is what killed the ones that aren't in running order most likely .

Fact I've got three in boxes in the shed that burned themselves up from bad seals .I've also got two runners so I might need the parts myself at sometime

Most likely if you watch flea bay long enough one will pop up much cheaper than you can find the parts for that one .Take the best parts of two and make one

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Yes as a matter of fact it is .It was that AC orange one in the picture that got me on the kick of collecting and restoring old saws .

lumberjack48

I bought a new Lightning III back in 69 [$160] it was quit a saw, she really had a bark. It would out cut the 800 Homelites we were running.

It was hard on starter ropes, it would kick back when starting it and snap the rope off. I had it break the rope when shutting it off, never seen anything like it.
You had to sneak up on it to get it started, that was a standing joke.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

The reason they have kick to them is the fact they run 30 degrees advance on the spark .

That orange one in the picture plus a Lightning I have in the shed both have bad seals .Just another thing I'll get around to fix someday .

AdkStihl

Can I change the plug wire without having to change the ignition? This is my 1st AL-42 style rebuild. Where the plug wire passes through the cylinder housing, it has become a bit gooey. Probably been caked with oil and sawdust for 30yrs. The saw is in really good shape paint-wise/cosmetically. Its an older blue model. What was the average compression on these old beasts?

wish I could post pics, but this place isnt pic friendly  :-[
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!