Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Have any of you tried GoLo? 
and how did it work for you?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

we did noom and it worked great till we stopped.  Is golo more for those with DM?  I have seen ads but not familiar.  your insurance may pay for a person to see a dietician or diabetes educator.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

I don't know what DM is, so I don't know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

sorry diabetes mellitus.  type 2 is insulin resistance, and what most adults have.  there is one program that centers more on that.
NOOM is calorie counting and limiting for wt. loss.  NOOM also has you answer questions to try to see why we eat more than we need.  we were all told to finish our food growing up in homes with parents from the depression.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

randy d

I tried GoLo it did not work I gained a little. What works for me is to just eat regular meals and not in between.

doc henderson

There was a prof. at KSU that lost 30# eating Twinkies.  He added up the calories and stayed under his threshold for loosing weight.
We did Adkins back in the day,  they all work, but the key is to change habits so you keep it off.

barbender

If that is the same case I heard about, he was making the that there is no getting around caloric input, correct? Kind of to put to bed some of these wacky theories of if you eat this plus this, aligned with the correct moon phase, you will lose weight and never be sick again. Where thus professor said, if your daily allowable caloric intake is 2500, but you eat 2300 your going to lose weight and it doesn't matter if it is absolute garbage nutritionally. 
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

I'll say, I an eat a Twinkie here and there but nothing but Twinkies for a month🤢
Too many irons in the fire

RetiredTech

Quote from: randy d on April 11, 2023, 02:21:49 PMI tried GoLo it did not work I gained a little.

Sorry to hear that. My wife is a diabetic and over weight. We could both stand to loose a few pounds. We were thinking about golo too.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

doc henderson

Ianab

Fad diets generally don't work because even if they manage to starve you into losing a few pounds, unless you change your actual long term eating habits, once you stop the diet, the weight comes back on. You need to change things long term. 

Like barbender says, if you are eating more calories than you need each day, your body will store some away for later. This is a survival instinct from pre-caveman days. If you were carrying a few pounds of fat, and there was a poor hunting season, Grug the chubby caveman probably survived, all be it thinner, but still alive. Uggh, who was naturally skinny starved to death over the Winter. 

So you need to either change your eating habits, OR burn more calories (while eating the same). Or even a combination of both. 

Other thing I've seen suggested, don't eat until you are "Full". Eat until you aren't hungry any more. Couple that with some more veges that are low on carbs, but fill you up. Sure you will be hungry by the next meal time, but just rinse and repeat. Your body is probably actively trying to thwart you by signalling for more food (in case there is a famine next Winter).  Now that we don't commonly have famines in the developed World, that instinct actually works against us.  Save up fat reserves for 20 years, but no famine? Yeah you are going to be overweight. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

take your time when you eat.  the feeling of satiation takes a bit.  the concept of eating all you can when you can was also big during the depression, and passed down.  If you eat filling things like vegetables and eat slow.  you can stop sooner.  just like alcohol, if you chug everclear 190 proof alcohol, you may wake up dead.

RetiredTech

Quote from: doc henderson on April 11, 2023, 11:30:38 PMthis is an old thread, that helped a few.

That thread should be revived. I wonder how well everyone kept the weight off? I've lost 14# over the last couple months just by eating less at night. I'm at 211 right now. my lowest was 210 right before the foot sidelined me. I worry about my wife the most. She's more than a little overweight. She fell in the house yesterday and scared the heck out of both of us. I heard her hit the floor from outside in the garden! She was in a hurry and slipped on a wet soapy floor. Luckily I don't think she broke anything, but her left knee and foot are both really sore. Unfortunately her style of cooking does not lend itself to weight loss, but it sure is good.:D She is trying to loose too, but it's harder for her.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Ron Wenrich

I saw where one guy has lost 50# by eating at McDonald's.  But, his secret is that he cuts all his meals in half, then eats the other half later.  Its something that highschool wrestlers do to get down to weight.  I'm not sure I can follow that sort of schedule, or McDonald's food.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!